Things that WOW didn't invent

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
So, I'm noticing that there's an awful lot of threads that complain that something or another is too much like WOW.

The funny thing is that usually they cite mechanics that are actually stolen by WOW from other things, most often from P&P roleplaying games.

So, I'm going to start a big list of things that aren't actually created by wow.

Now I'm not saying whether or not any particular game actually plays like WOW or not. I'm also not saying whether a comparison to WOW is a good thing or not. Finally I'm not saying that you cannot compare a game to WOW.

But it is interesting to see where these features all came from, so add your own!

1. Permanent combat pets as class features. 3eD&D druids and rangers had this and I'm sure it was not the first.

2. Phased monster abilities, or "Sequential boss fights" have been around for a very long time indeed.

3. Perception, aggro radius et al. Again, 3e and possibly even 2e before it had rules for these. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the wargames that Braunstein evolved from had rules for perception.

4. Aggro - been around in the computer world for ages (most muds have a concrete set of rules for who monsters target in a group), and I'm dead-set sure I've seen an old PnP RPG with it, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. And that's just the more specific version, where the target of a monster is predictable and controllable. The concept of "monsters don't like PCs" is pretty much universal.

5. Treasure parcels. Need I say more?

6. Ability cooldowns. I'll start with vancian magic to bust that one, but there's a mass of other examples from computer, board and roleplaying games. Hell, some of them even refer to not firing a gun for a while to give it a chance to cool down!

7. Item sets. It was gauntlets of ogre power, belt of giant strength and the hammer of thunderbolts if I remember correctly...

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
It's not so much that WoW invents things, it just synthesizes them into something vastly different than the sum of the parts might suggest.

My question is the reverse of the OP: is there anything that WoW actually DID invent, and if so has any other game (online or P+P) used it?

Lanefan

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
WoW may not have invented nerd-rage but it most certainly did popularise it :D

That is an interesting one: the current culture of running the numbers and declaring option X superior to option Y because it does 1% more damage is something that came hand-in-hand with the rise of WOW. I don't recall such fine resolution on 3e optimizations.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
That is an interesting one: the current culture of running the numbers and declaring option X superior to option Y because it does 1% more damage is something that came hand-in-hand with the rise of WOW. I don't recall such fine resolution on 3e optimizations.

No way. People were counting percentage points when playing Runequest and Rolemaster back in the late 1970s/early 1980s. ;)

Last edited:

Jools

First Post
This is an interesting idea. When listing WOW things it would be nice if people could explain to us non WOWers what they actually are. I have no idea what "aggro" is for example.

Khairn

First Post

There was a high level of optimization in 3E, but it came about in later years. I agree that WoW and other PvP MMO's really crystallized the optimization mentality for many gamers. Squeezing out the last fraction of damage, AC or utility, no matter what the impact to the concept of the character appears to be more and more the "norm" these days.

Shemeska

Adventurer
I feel rage when someone looks at a 2e/3e style tiefling and says something to the effect of "They totally stole that design from the drenai in WoW!"

Remove ads