Things to do in a tabletop rpg that are not combat related?

Jhaelen

First Post
Actually, I once played a dirt farmer in a campaign, as well. It was a Runequest game, though. Another difference was that my dirt farmer was an initiate of the earth goddess, so with time he actually became powerful in his way (healing/protecting others) and eventually became the mayor of his village. Unfortunately, the village was burned to the ground shortly after by a band of broo who had been following him after he had left the rest of the party to return to his farm. After that he pledged to take revenge and started to take weapon training in earnest, giving up his career as a farmer. But at that point the campaign was already all but over; I think we only played one more adventure after that.

Runequest isn't D&D, though, and arguably my character would probably have been a kind of druid or cleric, if it had been D&D.

Celebrim

Legend
I'm not going through the campaign game by game and describing everything I did to do my share, but I did pull it. The character didn't fight much, but actually did as much as the other characters did overall. Not every PC has to physically fight to contribute. I figured out ways to make equal contributions without having fighting or spell-casting ability. That was part of the challenge. If I had not figured out how to do that, I would have retired the character. If the DM or other players felt I wasn't pulling my load, I would have retired the character. In fact, if he had had anything other than a positive effect on the game, I would have retired the character.

I'm having a difficult time understanding how to reconcile 'I pulled weight' with your early claim that all your PC knew how to do was farm. Generally speaking, farming is a slow laborious activity that occurs in a single location over the course of a large portion of the year and is ill suited to most anything that a campaign could be about except farming. Part of the reason I'm having a hard time reconciling this is that though you are spending enormous numbers of words explaining yourself, you could have managed to be less vague in far fewer words. So, sure I can imagine an 'epic; farmer might be useful for identifying plants, predicting the weather, tending crops, performing manual labor, perhaps lifting and carrying things, maybe tending to the animals, and so forth but the 'value added' by this sort of thing is still NPC level. I can spend a few silvers a day to hire a common laborer or two and get the same value added. Your the party 'Nobbin' at best.

You are assuming that battles and killing monsters is the primary part of every campaign.

No, I'm not. That's your assumption. I'm assuming that 90% of the campaign isn't farming by your own description of the rest of the party as being more normally oriented to acquiring power and wealth.

That's not necessarily true. I have been through whole campaigns where there is virtually no fighting, and what fighting did occur was minor and secondary to everything else. I have run campaigns like that, too.

One of the problems with 'this isn't a fighting game' is that even when the game isn't primarily about fighting, 'we fight' is still a powerful trump card than a rival, foil, or foe can play. If you can't answer it, you lose. If your game is about anything serious at all, whether economics, philosophy, politics, or whatever you are going to find that 'we fight' is the continuation of that by other means. About the only exception I can imagine to that is games which are entirely about small scale melodrama - something like we pretend to be husband and wife and try to overcome the ordinary challenges of living together - in which case, 'I'm a farmer' might be a perfectly good character concept. But such games are seldom played for more than a couple of evenings, and even then games in that vein - say Fiasco or My Life with Master - often aren't played with success in mind and/or feature some sort of violence as their climax.

On top of that, do you really think that the only way to stop an ogre (or any other monster) is to attack it, stun it, teleport the party away, etc.?

No. But I think that the other ways to effectively deal with it beyond violence require epic social skills not normally associated with just 'I'm only good at growing crops'.

There are a lot of ways to effectively deal with a situation like that without needing to fight or cast spells, particularly if the monster (or human opponent) doesn't see your character as a potential threat in any way.

This is the sort of statement that makes me wish I was discussing this character with your DM instead o f you. Because it sounds like your DM pulled off an epic job of illusionism in making your character relevant to the story. You see, when I think of "ogre doesn't think of you as a potential threat", my first thought in answer to the question, "well what does he think of you as then", is in fact "food". And the ogre, while stupid, is not so stupid as to make the bargain, "I'll give you these 6 sheep if you'll let me and my friends go." Because the answer to that is, "Me eat you first and keep sheep too." So unless your character who is only good at farming is also an epic liar and trickster, the ogre just eats you and your friends BECAUSE you are not a threat, and not despite it.

That's a pretty narrow definition of a "good party member." How about a character that always figures out the secret to riddles, or has the research skills to guide the party through the challenges, or always figures out just the right questions to ask NPCs to move things along, or has figured out how to manipulate the town guards without needing to roll a skill check, or has political clout that frequently saves the party's collective hide, etc.?

None of that has anything to do with what is on the character sheet, and particular none of that has anything to do with the character 'I'm just a dirt farmer'. Research skills aren't something I normally associate with dirt farmers. You the player being the one who always solves riddles implies you the player aren't playing with your peers, or if you the player are the one to do it because you've got epic amounts of Knowledge (Games & Enigmas) then you are no longer playing 'just a dirt farmer'. Always being the one to ask the right questions again either involves you not playing with your peers (because apparently they can't ask the right questions on their own), or else epic amounts of 'notice' or 'sense motive' which again means you aren't just 'a dirt farmer' (since when is being a psychoanalyst of anything other than sheep associated with being a farmer?).

And as for 'figuring out how to manipulate the town guards without needing to roll a skill check', that's just DM illusionism providing for your success because the DM needs or wants you to succeed. Your character may well develop a line of argumentation that grants a bonus to a social skill check, but if it is forgone altogether in despite your lack of social skills on the character sheet then that's DM fiat recognition of player skill rather than character skill - and again implies you aren't playing with peers because they need you the player to do everything for them. And again, political clout isn't something that is associated with 'I'm just a dirt farmer' nor is it something that baring deus ex machina plots like 'Being There' is it something that dirt farmers are notably good at acquiring. Again, political clout is hard to acquire lacking a skill beyond knowing how to farm. You pretty much are always going to lose to the guy that knows how to farm and how to offer bribes, how to persuade people, how to give grand oration, how to figure out how to manipulate people, has a certain magnetism that makes people want to be near them, and seems really interesting to talk to at a cocktail parties to people who aren't interested in curing pig ailments but are interested in markers of status.

There are many non-combat skills other than diplomacy, and many things a character can choose to do that doesn't rely on a skill check of any kind. Accomplishments are not always tied to skill rolls, and not all skills are covered in any existing game. Some skills that seem useless (ex. knowing how to irrigate farmland) might actually prove to be useful in a broad range of situations IF the player gets creative with them and manages to do so while staying in character. Which, as I said, was part of the challenge.

I'm trying to think of any game I'd run or played in during 30 years where irrigating farmland was so critical that having that skill at a 'heroic' level immediately at hand was needed and I'm drawing a blank. Even the one campaign were we settled down and cared about agricultural production, it was a semi-tropical climate and the crops we were growing didn't require irrigation and are not normally irrigated. And had we needed irrigation, we would have hired a low level NPC and some laborers to do it.

Here we are back to battle again. Why do you assume that the final big challenge involves fighting at all? Why do you assume that there is any combat at all in a given game or campaign? Why do you assume that the only way to be really useful in a battle situation is to be one of the combatants?

These are your assumptions, but I'd ask the reverse: how can you _know_ that the challenge doesn't involve fighting? Why do you assume that there won't be constant combat in any campaign? Why do you assume that you wont' be put into situations where the only thing that really matters is whether you can physically stop something from happening?

Look at The Hobbit. Bilbo Baggins had neither combat skills nor any others that were particularly useful on an adventure.

Look, I've read 'The Hobbit' 36+ times. And you are just entirely wrong there on so many counts.

a) Bilbo had the best eyesight of any of the members of the party, and indeed besting elves at times (for example, he's the first to note the approach of the eagles). This is repeatedly noted. He's also got the best hearing of anyone in the party.
b) Bilbo was the stealthiest member of the party. This is repeatedly noted.
c) Bilbo was the best climber of the party. This is repeatedly noted.
d) Once a situation became desperate, Bilbo had the most courage of any member of the party. He's the only member of the party who never gave up hope.
e) Bilbo is noted in the text as being one of the most deadly stone throwers in the shire, and he's capable of killing monstrous spiders with a single stone throw. He also displays a high degree of other sorts of martial skill when fighting those same spiders. Again, this is a situation where if Bilbo can't fight, the whole party dies.
f) Bilbo is a fairly accomplished liar, and successfully tricks the dwarfs on several occasions. He also manages to do fairly well in lying/riddle games against Gollum and the Dragon Smaug, tricking Smaug on several occasions.
g) Bilbo is a startlingly accomplished diplomat, something that Thranduil and Gandalf note. This might have something to do with coming from a family of the most noted merchants in the Shire. He also manages on several occasions to persuade the dwarves to do something that they don't want to do.
h) Bilbo even manages eventually to get his 'pick pockets' skill up from its abysmal early levels, albeit only to purloin something from a sleeping drunken guard.

In short, Bilbo can be easily thought of as actually being a peer or near peer level 'rogue' or 'thief' as his party role would imply. If 'Gandalf is a 6th level wizard', then Bilbo ends up being like a 5th level thief. Indeed, in many respects Bilbo is the inspiration for Halflings having that role in D&D (see BD&D). In 3e terms he starts out as some sort of low level rogue or aristocrat and grows into a fully competent party member. At no point is he 'just a grocer' despite being probably a very competent grocer. The fact that he is probably the best cook in the party never really comes up. That is just color, and hardly where most of his skills are invested on his character sheet. Bilbo initially tries to use his ability to cook to persuade the trolls not to eat him and his friends. Very creative, but it doesn't work, one of the few times his bluff skill fails him.

The DM didn't have to find ways to make them work. I was just very creative, and had been thinking about how to do it for a very long time.

Wonderful. I really would love to talk to your DM. Because of all the games I've run or been in the last 30 years, and of all the games I plan to run I can only think of one where 'farming skill' would ever come up in a truly important way even once. And in 3e terms, any PC classed character with Craft(agriculture) would still be a superior character than a commoner or expert with Craft(agriculture).

Even when combat did occur in the games, though, the other players found it very useful to have someone drag unconscious people off the field, scare off the horses of dismounted opponents, toss arrows to people who had run out, confuse opponents with non-sequitur-ish actions, etc. Most warriors don't pay any attention to the peasant farmer running around in the background when they are faced with an armed, dangerous opponent, and I used that to my (and my party's) advantage.

Again, unless your character had some sort of uncanny power not to be noticed, this is your DM granting you agency because he needs to, and not some logical outcome of the situation. There is no reason in particular why the opposite wouldn't regularly be true - foes prefer to tackle the peasant farmer than the clearly armed and dangerous ones, or foes simply lack the discernment to prioritize, or that there are more than enough foes that everyone gets their share. In the 4 years or so real life time of the current campaign there have probably been 80 combats, and in most of those there would have been no reason to not mark you out in some way. And in few of those would have any of the suggested courses of action been relevant, and in the event that they were you'd still have been inferior to a fully skilled PC in accomplishing the task. In other words, I think you just think that you creatively found ways to be useful. My impression is your DM creatively found ways to let you be useful.

Last edited:

I'm having a difficult time understanding how to reconcile 'I pulled weight' with your early claim that all your PC knew how to do was farm. Generally speaking, farming is a slow laborious activity that occurs in a single location over the course of a large portion of the year and is ill suited to most anything that a campaign could be about except farming.

That's all he knew how to do. When he went out adventuring, he figured out ways to use farming skills in other contexts.

The same happens in the real world. I have known people who come from fairly isolated background with particular skill sets (sometimes third world countries) who quickly learn how to use that knowledge effectively when they end up immigrating or having to move to a new area.

the 'value added' by this sort of thing is still NPC level

What is "NPC level?" You could easily hire mercenaries to accompany your party who are better fighters than any party member. They are still NPCs.

I'm assuming that 90% of the campaign isn't farming by your own description of the rest of the party as being more normally oriented to acquiring power and wealth.

There is a difference between the act of farming and the skills acquired by doing so.

One of the problems with 'this isn't a fighting game' is that even when the game isn't primarily about fighting, 'we fight' is still a powerful trump card than a rival, foil, or foe can play. If you can't answer it, you lose.

Do you think that the only way to deal with a foe who decides to physically attack you is to directly fight back? There are a lot of ways to win fights against opponents you can't hope to defeat directly.

When you move back to the early editions of D&D, clerics and thieves were virtually useless in any real fight. They were still contributing members of their parties who pulled their weight, though, because they brought along skills that the other players didn't have.

No. But I think that the other ways to effectively deal with it beyond violence require epic social skills not normally associated with just 'I'm only good at growing crops'.

Epic social skills don't have to be determined by dice rolls. They can come directly from the way the player handles the character.

There are also ways to play a character that has a strong social/psychological effect on NPCs that doesn't require epic level negotiation, diplomacy, etc. skills. When played right, a character who is a living non-sequitur can be very useful in distracting NPCs and throwing them off guard. There are a lot of examples of that in literature, film, and TV.

To pick just one example, the character Columbo (from the TV show of the same name) was eccentric and did everything in a way that seemed nonsensical to people around him. He was almost a jester of sorts. In the end, though, his approach to things threw people off guard and annoyed them, which often led to them saying things (and hence revealing clues) that they normally wouldn't. They didn't expect a detective to act the way he did, and suspected he might be a little mentally off, so he either became a goofy non-threat to them or an annoyance they just wanted to get rid of. That's what made him so effective.

The character I was playing often served in the same capacity. Some NPCs found him to be a charming country bumpkin and let their guard down. Some found him annoying and were distracted by him, which made it easier for other player characters to do other things (steal items, get them to agree to better terms just to get rid of us, etc.). Some saw him as a helpless non-threatening background figure, which let him get away with doing a lot of things while they watched the more stereotypical characters carefully. I was able to help them avoid fights they didn't want to get into, steal things the thief couldn't get to, etc. etc.

This is the sort of statement that makes me wish I was discussing this character with your DM instead of you. Because it sounds like your DM pulled off an epic job of illusionism in making your character relevant to the story.

He didn't have to. I was an experienced player by then who approached a lot of things with a GM mentality. He knew that I would make the character relevant. He didn't need to do anything but his job.

You see, when I think of "ogre doesn't think of you as a potential threat", my first thought in answer to the question, "well what does he think of you as then", is in fact "food". And the ogre, while stupid, is not so stupid as to make the bargain, "I'll give you these 6 sheep if you'll let me and my friends go."

In that hypothetical situation, during the battle the ogre wouldn't be thinking of me at all, because he would be too busy fighting with people who were a real threat.

After the battle, I would keep him confused, lead him away, etc.

Because the answer to that is, "Me eat you first and keep sheep too." So unless your character who is only good at farming is also an epic liar and trickster, the ogre just eats you and your friends BECAUSE you are not a threat, and not despite it.

That character wouldn't do something so obvious.

Any character can act as a trickster without needing to have hard trickster skills on the character sheet. You just have to have a smart, resourceful player with trickster skills who can play the character in a way that takes advantage of that while staying within character. That particular farmer character wasn't a conscious liar or trickster - I was. He was highly eccentric and made strange choices because of it. I made sure that the choices he made provided trickster-like effects, but still fit within the stated character concept.

None of that has anything to do with what is on the character sheet, and particular none of that has anything to do with the character 'I'm just a dirt farmer'. Research skills aren't something I normally associate with dirt farmers

I didn't say he had those skills. I said those are examples of non-combat skills that can make a non-fighter useful in a campaign. That had nothing to do with the farmer character.

Always being the one to ask the right questions again either involves you not playing with your peers (because apparently they can't ask the right questions on their own), or else epic amounts of 'notice' or 'sense motive' which again means you aren't just 'a dirt farmer' (since when is being a psychoanalyst of anything other than sheep associated with being a farmer?).

He asked the right questions when his peers didn't because he didn't know any better.

In the real world, one of the hardest audiences to fool in a magic show are children, because they haven't yet learned where they are "supposed" to look and how they are "supposed" to respond. That makes the job of a magician much harder, because so much of magic depends on taking advantage of blind spots in human perception, some of which are culturally learned.

The farmer character was something of a child in many ways. I consciously played him that way, and he ended up seeing and hearing things that the other player characters didn't, just as children do in the real world.

And as for 'figuring out how to manipulate the town guards without needing to roll a skill check', that's just DM illusionism providing for your success because the DM needs or wants you to succeed.

Not at all. He didn't need to roll skill checks because the character wasn't doing things that directly related to common social skills (like diplomacy). When he distracted town guards, he generally wasn't setting out to do so. He was just doing the strange things that he did, and the guards would sometimes react to them. Since he was completely harmless, they often didn't act aggressively - they acted the way they would if a child or mentally ill person was doing something strange in front of them. Most would just try to shoo him off, but that provided enough distraction.

Your character may well develop a line of argumentation that grants a bonus to a social skill check, but if it is forgone altogether in despite your lack of social skills on the character sheet then that's DM fiat recognition of player skill rather than character skill - and again implies you aren't playing with peers because they need you the player to do everything for them.

Now we're getting to the root of where we disagree. Player skill enacted within the bounds of the character concept is just as important as numeric skills used in rolls. That's a big part of it being a roleplaying game, rather than a wargame. You can run two groups of players through the exact same adventure with the same set of pre-gen characters. The person playing the fighter (or whatever) in one group may run the character in a way that turns him into the hero of the day. The other player may run the same character in a way where he ends up being the worst character in the party. None of that has to do with stats - it has to do with the skill of the player. That was the big part of my challenge to myself - to run a relevant character who was useful to his party, but without the apparent skills to be able to do so. It worked. It might not have, but it did.

And again, political clout isn't something that is associated with 'I'm just a dirt farmer' nor is it something that baring deus ex machina plots like 'Being There' is it something that dirt farmers are notably good at acquiring.

How many poor farmers do you know in real life? One side of my family is full of them. Being poor and being a farmer doesn't mean you have a limited amount of skills. Far from it - farmers tend to be very skilled at a wide variety of things. None of those things may seem to be useful outside of a farming context, but that's the challenge - finding ways to make them so.

Again, political clout is hard to acquire lacking a skill beyond knowing how to farm. You pretty much are always going to lose to the guy that knows how to farm and how to offer bribes, how to persuade people, how to give grand oration, how to figure out how to manipulate people, has a certain magnetism that makes people want to be near them, and seems really interesting to talk to at a cocktail parties to people who aren't interested in curing pig ailments but are interested in markers of status.

Those aren't the skills that character used. I played him along the lines of the eccentric, harmless person who would normally seem like a background figure, and hence irrelevant or a source of disdainful humor to his "betters." Some reacted to him as a sort of Forrest Gump character, some in other ways. The DM varied the reactions of the NPCs quite a bit.

I'm trying to think of any game I'd run or played in during 30 years where irrigating farmland was so critical that having that skill at a 'heroic' level immediately at hand was needed and I'm drawing a blank.

At it's base, successful irrigation of farmland involves a good knowledge of how to route and control flowing water, absorption rates, spotting environmental issues by looking at the rate of plant growth, etc. It's not a single skill - it's a set of skills. I have been in any number of campaigns where knowing how to expertly control the flow of a liquid or semi-liquid would have been useful (redirecting lava towards and enemy, for example).

You can run a game where everything revolves around rolling dice against stats and skills. You can also run a game where you only do that when there is a real reason to do so. This was not a heavily mechanistic game.

One reason that I was confident that I could run a character like that is because I use similar strategies in real life. I am a non-physically-imposing, short little guy with a lot of hobbies, interests, and opinions that some people find threatening or confusing. Half my hobbies are stereotypically "female" in nature. I'm into BDSM and am bisexual. My political persuasion is in the minority in the area I live in. I'm an atheist. Etc. etc. Nonetheless, I don't face much discrimination, hostility, etc., even when very conservative people figure some of these things out. That's because I work hard to make sure that people see me as eccentric but utterly harmless, friendly, and interesting. When people see you as an eccentric but harmless and friendly entertaining outsider it lets you get away with all sorts of things that would be serious social drawbacks otherwise. I'm very good at doing that, and transferred that knowledge to the way I ran that particular character.

These are your assumptions, but I'd ask the reverse: how can you _know_ that the challenge doesn't involve fighting? Why do you assume that there won't be constant combat in any campaign? Why do you assume that you wont' be put into situations where the only thing that really matters is whether you can physically stop something from happening?

I knew how that GM ran his games. When discussing the possibility of running such an odd character, I asked him how combat-focused that campaign would be, and he told me, because it was relevant to the decision on whether to run that type of character or not.

Look, I've read 'The Hobbit' 36+ times. And you are just entirely wrong there on so many counts.
In short, Bilbo can be easily thought of as actually being a peer or near peer level 'rogue' or 'thief' as his party role would imply.

He was neither a trained fighter nor and experienced thief. He learned to use his natural skills in ways that made him relevant to the party.

So did my character. His skills didn't translate into a stereotypical party class or role, but that didn't make them any less useful. When you look at his overall contributions and daily usefulness to the party, he was a peer, but in a way that nobody but me expected him to be.

And in 3e terms, any PC classed character with Craft(agriculture) would still be a superior character than a commoner or expert with Craft(agriculture).

You're thinking in mechanistic terms, and viewing real world skills as single things, rather than collections of smaller skills that can be used independently of the obvious one. Farmers have to have a complex set of skills made up of smaller skills. When you "unbundle" them (as in the irrigation example above), you can start to see a lot of additional uses for them.

Again, unless your character had some sort of uncanny power not to be noticed, this is your DM granting you agency because he needs to, and not some logical outcome of the situation.

No, it was logical. Servants, peasants, etc. wouldn't normally register as dangerous opponents, and if they aren't doing anything threatening, often (though not always) fall beneath the notice of PCs who see themselves as their "betters."

There is no reason in particular why the opposite wouldn't regularly be true - foes prefer to tackle the peasant farmer than the clearly armed and dangerous ones, or foes simply lack the discernment to prioritize, or that there are more than enough foes that everyone gets their share.

People are more likely in combat to focus on the ones they view as dangerous foes, not the harmless ones in the background. That's true in real life battle situations, too.

In other words, I think you just think that you creatively found ways to be useful. My impression is your DM creatively found ways to let you be useful.

That's a very big assumption, and not true in the least. The DM didn't have to find ways for me to be useful. I found ways, and often surprised him with them. He was very vocal about how fascinated he was with the way I was able to do that without needing a lot of DM help.

As I said before, that character - and the way I ran him - would not have worked with all DMs and players in all campaigns. When I found myself in a campaign where it would work, I tried it out, and it went well. It wasn't some grand discovery about how to run characters in any campaign. I had a situationally-dependent opportunity, and went for it.

They types of stereotypical characters that you generally see in D&D and Pathfinder come about largely because the games are designed to favor that type of design. They favor things like fighters, thieves, rangers, etc. because Gygax and Arneson were wargamers (hence all the fighting) who were in love with Tolkien (hence the most common classes and races). Most fantasy rpgs since then have been direct ripoffs of D&D, which was a direct ripoff of Tolkien and a few other high fantasy literary worlds.

A lot of people think that the standard classes are there because they are the best or most powerful way to play a character in a high fantasy world. They aren't, necessarily - they're the most common, but that doesn't mean they are superior to other ones.

The same goes for skills. Certain ones are seen as superior because they tend to work best within a given system if you use them as-is. Creative use of seemingly inferior skills can trump standard use of seemingly superior skills, though. It's not the most common way to do things, but it can be highly effective with a player who knows what (s)he is doing. That's true in the real world, too.

Not everyone plays rpgs in highly mechanistic ways - a wargame with some roleplaying interspersed. For example, you don't need to roll for diplomacy in every situation where diplomacy is used. If the player is doing a good job of roleplaying the diplomacy, there is often no need to roll. Rolling on something like that becomes more important when you have a mechanistic player who says "I talk to them and use my diplomacy skill."

I have met people in real life who are far, far out in left field in almost every way, yet are beloved by their neighbors and important in their communities. The British in particular are know for "loving their eccentrics." As a librarian, I work with children daily, and have seen many instances where a young child asks a question that makes an adult totally rethink the way something is being done. The child didn't know what (s)he was supposed to ask or look for, and came up with something that was brilliantly insightful. There is no reason that rpgs can reflect things like that.

Bluenose

Adventurer
Actually, I once played a dirt farmer in a campaign, as well. It was a Runequest game, though. Another difference was that my dirt farmer was an initiate of the earth goddess, so with time he actually became powerful in his way (healing/protecting others) and eventually became the mayor of his village. Unfortunately, the village was burned to the ground shortly after by a band of broo who had been following him after he had left the rest of the party to return to his farm. After that he pledged to take revenge and started to take weapon training in earnest, giving up his career as a farmer. But at that point the campaign was already all but over; I think we only played one more adventure after that.

Runequest isn't D&D, though, and arguably my character would probably have been a kind of druid or cleric, if it had been D&D.

Cleric would be my call based on what an Initiate/Priest(ess) of Ernalda/"Earth goddess of choice" does. Druid only if they were a "wild" priest, living apart from their clan amongst nature, which doesn't sound like the case. Not that you couldn't have been that and trained with weapons too, of course. Switching to a "destroyer" version of an Earth goddess would be represented in Orlanthi culture by switching your devotion to Maran Gor from Ernalda (or Voria to Babeester Gor), which is perfectly feasible for those circumstances.

It's perhaps worth saying that a default D&D cleric has a much wider spread of magic than any RQ one, who are much more like 2e Specialist Priests in that respect. There are plenty (my Sword of Humakt, for example) who'd have nothing in the way of divine healing magic, nor see any reason for it. They're also expected to have a high level of skill in the "mundane" things their deity is interested in, so you wouldn't even be a priestess of Ernalda without being skilled first - no 1st level Clerics here. Of course the RQ magic systems are very different from the D&D one.

Zaran

Adventurer
Things you can do... in no particular order

1) Run a bar
2) Run a kingdom
3) Craft a sword
4) Be a merchant
5) Create a guild
6) Breed cattle
7) Breaking and Entering
8) Build a castle
9) Create a magical spell
10) Create automatons

All these things I have seen done in a D&D game. I could also use advice in the DMG to make all those things happen if they come up again.

I hit "Submit Reply" too soon...

A lot of RPG players (and GMs) seem to think that combat is the end-all and be-all of roleplaying games. There may be non-combat things going on, too, but there seems to be a widespread feeling that the combat parts are the most important overall.

Some of those of us that don't on the other hand think that D&D is a game where over half the mechanics are relating to combat, that there is an entire class called "Fighter", and that if you aren't going to have a combat heavy game then you probably shouldn't be using the D&D rules. If you'd told me you were playing a dirt farmer in Fate this would be an entirely different discussion.

But as it was your DM was bending over backwards to make you relevant. He was making sure the enemies didn't attack the weakest target on the battlefield while giving you useful things to do. Goblins should have been eating your face off rather than facing the bigger guys. And if you were annoying violent sorts and looked harmless - why did you survive? Your GM was ignoring the actual rules of D&D 3.X by allowing you to manipulate without rolling - the social skills are there for a reason.

All credit to your GM. It sounds as if he found a way to take an absolutely sucky concept and make it work entertainingly by ignoring and adapting the rules to fit the vision of the players. But this is the Oberoni fallacy. Your character, from everything you have said, had the "Favoured of the DM" special ability even if it wasn't written down on their character sheet. And that's an incredibly powerful special ability.

Having said that, though, more people need to realize that the problems they have encountered in the games they run or play in are not necessarily things that are problematic across the board.

Indeed. There is no game that can't be fixed by an already good GM ignoring some of the rules. (With FATAL you'd have to ignore the rules entirely, but I digress). However the DM ignoring the rules is the DM de facto creating house rules. That you can house rule to fix a game does not mean that the problem that you needed to house rule to fix was not there in the first place.

Some of those of us that don't on the other hand think that D&D is a game where over half the mechanics are relating to combat, that there is an entire class called "Fighter", and that if you aren't going to have a combat heavy game then you probably shouldn't be using the D&D rules.

Any rpg can be used to play any sort of game. Some are better at certain things than others, but the essence of a roleplaying is roleplaying.

But as it was your DM was bending over backwards to make you relevant. He was making sure the enemies didn't attack the weakest target on the battlefield while giving you useful things to do. Goblins should have been eating your face off rather than facing the bigger guys. And if you were annoying violent sorts and looked harmless - why did you survive? Your GM was ignoring the actual rules of D&D 3.X by allowing you to manipulate without rolling - the social skills are there for a reason.

You are still making a LOT of assumptions. You appear to be approaching this discussion from the standpoint of a highly mechanistic DM/player who is extremely focused on not deviating from any rule. That's not the only relevant way of playing the game, by any means.

He didn't have to make me relevant. I made myself relevant. He ran the campaign and the encounters the way he always did.

He didn't make sure the enemies didn't attack the weakest target. My character was careful to make sure that striking him would be difficult. When he did step into the open during a battle, it was only when the enemies were fully engaged with characters who were battle capable, and even then he only did a little dashing around and basic support work. I never said he never got hurt, or was never targeted.

I survived after annoying violent types by making sure I would be difficult to reach. I didn't taunt archers or anything like that.

Where did I say it was D&D 3.X? It was AD&D. Not that that matters at all.

There are many ways of playing D&D. Rolling on every single aspect of every social encounter turns it into little more than a wargame with some dialogue. Not everybody plays that way. That particular DM didn't play that way, and I don't. When we both started playing D&D the rules were very brief and Gygax encouraged people to modify the rules as they see fit and focus on the story. That's still how I play. The rules are there to serve the game, not to control every aspect of it.

At no point did my character ever say something like "I try to get some information out of him." I roleplayed out every single word in every dialogue (all the players did, in fact). The DM roleplayed the NPC. He would roll if the NPC was on the fence about something, but if the things we had our characters say to the NPC would reasonably get a certain response out of that character, there was no need to roll.

All credit to your GM. It sounds as if he found a way to take an absolutely sucky concept and make it work entertainingly by ignoring and adapting the rules to fit the vision of the players. But this is the Oberoni fallacy. Your character, from everything you have said, had the "Favoured of the DM" special ability even if it wasn't written down on their character sheet. And that's an incredibly powerful special ability.

No, he didn't. He lived and died according to his own actions. We both expected the character to die quickly, and were very surprised when he didn't.

He didn't ignore the rules to fit the vision of the player. He used the rules to run the type of game he wanted to play, and adapted the ones that didn't fit that. He was consistent in how he did that, over the course of many years, campaigns, and games. As I said before, the only reason I ran a character like that was because of the way the DM ran his games. I wouldn't have done so with a mechanistic DM. I was not his favorite in any way - he consciously avoided favoritism of any kind.

Indeed. There is no game that can't be fixed by an already good GM ignoring some of the rules. (With FATAL you'd have to ignore the rules entirely, but I digress). However the DM ignoring the rules is the DM de facto creating house rules. That you can house rule to fix a game does not mean that the problem that you needed to house rule to fix was not there in the first place.

At the time, Gygax specifically said that people should use the rules in the ways that best served the game. In effect, the official "rule" was that the rules were optional.

Even if I had been playing in a 3.X game with a DM who had a wargamer outlook on things, my bet is that the character would survive longer than you imagine. Cleverness goes a long way, both in the real world and in rpgs.

Getting back to the original question...

There are a huge number of things to do in a high fantasy rpg campaign (regardless of the system) other than combat, and there are any number of ways to play a non-combat oriented character. Just look to real life for some good examples.

There is a tendency to confuse the concept of player and non-player characters with certain classes. Though most players tend to have characters that fall into one of the stereotypical classes, there's no reason you have to do that. Though many non-combatant/magic/healing characters in a party tend to be hireling packbearers and such, there is no reason that a party can't hire or adventure with a non-PC 15th level paladin (just to use one example).

If you or your players want to play a non-combatant character, there are a lot of ways to go, some of which have been mentioned by others. If you look at real world armies and adventuring parties, you will find that there are a lot of important positions that have nothing to do with combat - mapping, navigation, scouting, driving/flying etc. There are also positions that are related to combat, but do not require the person in those positions to be an active combatant (various types of leadership, tactics, etc.).

You could even have a set of non-fighting player characters who help to turn the tide in an extended siege or a war-torn region. For example, merchants can wield considerable political clout, even if it's not formally recognized by the leadership, and may be skilled at setting up secret supply lines that run into a city under siege.

If you are mainly looking for things for your standard player classes to do in addition to combat, look again to the real world. In both ancient and modern times, people need to eat, sleep, get equipment repaired, find entertainment, shop, deal with social issues, deal with political and religious issues, learn new skills, study (in some cases), travel, hunt, fish, etc. In hack-and-slash campaigns a lot of that tends to get relegated to the background, and may not be played out at all. In campaigns with a stronger roleplaying element, at least some of those things may be a part of the individual game sessions.

For example, let's say that a character's weapon gets broken or armor gets damaged. Finding someone who can repair it can be a real challenge. Most small villages will have a blacksmith, but that blacksmith doesn't necessarily have skills related to fixing chainmail, and may not be skilled enough to fix a particularly fine weapon. Not all villages will have horses for sale that are suitable for warfare. Few will have stores where you can get magic components. Etc. etc. The characters may have to make a side trip to a relatively large town to get the items or services they need, and chances are that towns of that sizes are few and far between. Haggling, traveling, and other such mundane things can actually be very entertaining when done well, and can help hack-n-slash players to think of their characters as more than simple wargame pieces on a board.

I'd pretty much guessed that. Only, if it was AD&D there is one point I'm now greatly confused on.

What class was this character?

I don't recall for certain, but I think I just played him using the stats, skills, etc. that you would normally associate with an NPC farmer.

It matters a rather great deal.

Only if you are a slave to the charts and don't follow Gygax's original advice. There are no required rules in any game, and there is nothing that says that you need to make unnecessary rolls or give the same weight to every chart. Though 3.5 had a lot of differences, it's still a fantasy rpg, and the way I played the character made him much less dependent on having particular stats. I could have run the same basic character in Ars Magica, Runequest, Fate, or just about any other game, because I played him in a way that wasn't heavily tied to a particular ruleset. I spent a very long time thinking through ways to do that before I ever created the character.

Think of it this way. If you had a character encounter a sphinx and it required you to solve a riddle (or be eaten), the DM could have you roll to see if you solved it, or could state the riddle and see if you can figure it out and answer it correctly. In the latter case there's no need to roll, or you would only roll if there was something unusual about it (the sphinx isn't true to his word or something like that). If you ran across a dead orc and decided to cut off it's head, there's no need to roll to see if you do it, assuming you have the necessary skills to hit an immobile thing with a sword (or use a saw or a knife) and you don't have to do it in a rush. You can use that same approach to surviving dangerous encounters as a non-combatant if you play wisely and carefully, making it less necessary for the DM to need to make a roll.

Remove ads