Thinking up Signs of the Apocalypse in my Campaign

Oversquid

First Post
Hello there ENworld, I need your help in coming up with some signs of the apocalypse for my D&D campaign. I put this post here on the general forums, because you don't need to know a wilt about D&D to answer this question.

Before some of you ask, yes, I did read through the Elder Evils suppliment and it did provoke the following predicament I am coming to tell you guys about.

With that out of the way, I should give some back story for what the nature of the beast is so as to come up with an appropriate sign of the apocalypse.

For this campaign, I am using Tharizdun, however, his backstory is likely much more different in my campaign than it is in Canon. (Warning, its long)

Tharizdun's tale goes like this:

The universe as we know it today is a bubble in a vast ocean. For that bubble to have existed, there must have been an ocean with which the bubble can exist in. This ocean that the universe as we know it today, is what we would call the Far Realm, a land of Madness, and Eldrich Horrors, and forms impossible to have existed structurally as well that swim and walk the pulsing depths of the Far Realm. The Far Realm is not an evil place, nor even a good place, nor even a lawful nor chaotic place. It isn't even neutral. The Far Realm is nothing aligned, as alignment is a principle that exists only within the bubble that is the universe. The Far Realm is Creation in its purest form.

But within all of the infinitudes of forms, there is one commonality that exists between all things in the Far Realm, in that their "heart pulse" is the exact same as all other beings on this realm. Everything pulses, from the creatures, to the mist that shrouds the Far Realm, to even the liquid that oozes in and out of the realm too. Everything pulses together with harmony. Then one day, a bubble formed within the Far Realm.

The bubble expanded larger and larger, but the bubble did not pulse like the rest of the creatures in the Far Realm, as it seemed that the bubble has constructed for itself its own rules of creation, and those rules remain unchanging to this day. The Far Realm ended up creating a world with its own rules by using the world's own rules. But what truely frightened the Eldrich Horrors was not the fact that it made its own rules, but rather by seeing the life within it.

Within that world, life pulsed with a heart too, but the heart pulses of all beings are not in harmony with each other, rather, they are disjoined, and pulse at their own pace, and exist only for themselves in the world that birthed them.

At least that was what the Eldrich Horrors saw when they looked within.

Immediately, the horrors argued about what should be done about this creation. The strongest of the horrors, who was named Uzutar claimed that it was a creation like all others that exist, and should be allowed to continue being what it is, and that its entertaining to watch. Another by the name of F'Vrathku argued that they should go inside and attempt to reunite the world within to pulse with each other again, just like those outside the bubble.

Then the other that argued was Tharizdun, who argued that the bubble will continue to grow, and continue to fester a "necropolis" of creations that pulsed only for themselves, and that there is no saving them.

What Uzutar saw within the bubble was that the bubble created godly powers all on its own that represent the many forces represented by the laws that exist only within the bubble, something Uzutar decided not to tell Tharizdun.

Uzutar told Tharizdun that he was right, and that he should destroy the bubble from within. Tharizdun never did find out that Uzutar knew that he was never going to make it, and that he only wanted something entertaining.

So Tharizdun creeped to the bubble, and with his tentacled mass, called the other creatures that agreed with him over to destroy the universe with him. So Tharizdun tore open a hole, and bored himself inside.

Tharizdun ended up boring where the Infinite Layers of the Abyss exist today, and Tharizdun created the Abyss by reaching the end of infinity to burst out of the other end. As Tharizdun dug, his form became less Tentacled, and he began to assimilate the laws imposed by the bubble. The sheer hatred that writhes within the "Abyssal" realm applied itself to Tharizdun, such that after an eternity of digging, Tharizdun was no longer what he was before, but is now a black galaxy type creature made of pure hatred.

Tharizdun no longer wanted to destroy the bubble to prevent it from spreading their self-interested creations, now, Tharizdun wanted to destroy the bubble, because he despised it with all of his being.

The other monsters that followed Tharizdun's lead also transformed, becoming the first Demons of the Abyss (The Obyriths), and they too now despised the universe like Tharizdun now did.

Ultimately, Tharizdun made it to the center of the universe, which is a world in which all the rest of the worlds rested on, like a wheel rests on an axel (Outland). Tharizdun flew towards the "axel" in an attempt to cut the universe down like a tree gets cut down, so all the worlds will collapse in on themselves.

The gods however intervened, and Tharizdun did not expect there to have been gods. Tharizdun battled the gods, and many fell, but ultimately, the Overgod Ao came down, and shackled Tharizdun, as Ao didn't have the power to kill Tharizdun. Instead, Ao siphoned much of Tharizdun's power, and used it to create a guardian for the "axel" that holds the wheel of the universe in place known now as the Lady of Pain.

The rest of Tharizdun Ao sent to the far reaches of the multiverse shackled.

And of the demons within the universe, they still try and carry out Tharizdun's corrupted purpose, but they have been much less successful than Tharizdun was.

-END OF STORY-

---

So with this story read (Or not read), my campaign in the end will center around Tharizdun's attempts at releasing himself from his prison, and I need to come up with signs of the impending apocalypse to come on the entire universe with respect to Tharizdun's nature, and how he will destroy it.

Right now, I'm thinking that as Tharizdun gets closer and closer to release, everybody in the world feels more and more contempt for each other, and worlds will battle other worlds simply for the sake of hating each other.

But Tharizdun is a god, and has to have more signs. Can you, ENworld, help me brainstorm this monster? You need not know D&D, just the rough situation leading to how Tharizdun can screw the world up.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Drowbane

First Post
First off, nice work with the use of the Lady of Pain. This is the first plausible origin for her that I have seen that I've liked.

The End is Nigh!!
As long as the PCs get the big picture, there is no wrong way to do this. D&D is by default a highly magical world. So the Signs of the End would have to be even more crazy than those written in Revelations. However, I would still recommend giving that a read for further inspiration.

* Grant PC fighter-types Rage (as barbarian of their level) whenever they take a solid hit... whether or not they want to rage.
* Actual berserkers have trouble telling friend from foe during rage (see Frenzied Berserker prc)... actual FB's... I dunno, but you see where I'm going here.
* Violent crime on the rise.
* Creatures that are already violent (Orcs? Evil Dragons?) become more aggressive.
* The Dead cease to find rest. Undead spontaneously pop up... everywhere. In whatever form(s) you prefer.
* portions of the populace act as if Confused at seemingly random times. This causes great civil unrest and this temporary insanity causes even normally peaceful people to attack and possibly kill other people (especially family).
* The walls of [insert appropriate Temples here] bleed for no good reason.
* Random homeless guys wander the streets with signs of insane babble... or might be perfectly legible "The End is Nigh!"

Random Violence. Imagine the chaos that would erupt on the block you live on if about half the local population got violently angry for no good reason. If 1/4 of the population struck out.

Now imagine if your block contained two moderately high Wizards, a powerful ex-adventuring dwarf fighter, and the High Priest of [insert appropriate deity here].

Last edited:

Oversquid

First Post
First off, nice work with the use of the Lady of Pain. This is the first plausible origin for her that I have seen that I've liked.

The End is Nigh!!
As long as the PCs get the big picture, there is no wrong way to do this. D&D is by default a highly magical world. So the Signs of the End would have to be even more crazy than those written in Revelations. However, I would still recommend giving that a read for further inspiration.

* Grant PC fighter-types Rage (as barbarian of their level) whenever they take a solid hit... whether or not they want to rage.
* Actual berserkers have trouble telling friend from foe during rage (see Frenzied Berserker prc)... actual FB's... I dunno, but you see where I'm going here.
* Violent crime on the rise.
* Creatures that are already violent (Orcs? Evil Dragons?) become more aggressive.
* The Dead cease to find rest. Undead spontaneously pop up... everywhere. In whatever form(s) you prefer.
* portions of the populace act as if Confused at seemingly random times. This causes great civil unrest and this temporary insanity causes even normally peaceful people to attack and possibly kill other people (especially family).
* The walls of [insert appropriate Temples here] bleed for no good reason.
* Random homeless guys wander the streets with signs of insane babble... or might be perfectly legible "The End is Nigh!"

Random Violence. Imagine the chaos that would erupt on the block you live on if about half the local population got violently angry for no good reason. If 1/4 of the population struck out.

Now imagine if your block contained two moderately high Wizards, a powerful ex-adventuring dwarf fighter, and the High Priest of [insert appropriate deity here].
I like the Berserking idea a lot, this would fit well I think into all of this. Send some more this way if you've got more.

Oversquid

First Post
How is your rage different from the Blood Moon?
I'm not worrying about mechanics right now, I just want ideas.

Heck, I can always play out more than one particular Sign of the Apocalypse at a time, and thats what I'm trying to garner right now.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
  • Random extreme weather conditions; drought, devastating storms, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, clear-sky lightning, constant cloud cover but no rain...
  • Seasons that don't end (endless summer drought, continuously rainy and muddy autumn with no crop growth)
  • Due to the increased violence, villages and cities will have much more people hanging from gallows, in crow cages, etc.
  • Increased infestations (destroying even more crops) of locusts, beetles, rats, mice, etc.
  • An increase in stillborn births (both people, demi-humans, and animals)
  • People stop dying, but continue to linger in agonizing pain and misery.
  • Food stores spoil and turn rancid, or are more prone to infestation by vermin (mice, rats, weevils, etc.)
  • Successive Solar Eclipses
  • Strange Auroras across the world at night...usually reddish rather than typical green and blues
  • Comets, shooting stars, Novas, Stars winking out...
B-)

tvknight415

Explorer
from F. Paul Wilson's Night World...

Days begin to get noticeably shorter... quickly...

Actually, the whole book was a pretty good build up to an apocalypse. Sadly, to get the best enjoyment out of it and appreciate the characters, there's about a half-dozen books before it that need to be read.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
from F. Paul Wilson's Night World...

Days begin to get noticeably shorter... quickly....

.....eventually the whole world is in a perpetual twilight.

crops don't grow, plants get tainted with chaos, animals get tainted with a demonic template

the patrons of oracals and witches send visions of gruesome destruction.

comets with normally white or green tails all show up, out of season, with red tails.

the moons turn blood red.

(how am I doing so far?)

weem

First Post
Hmm... let's see, really quick while I pass through on lunch, a few ideas that connect to the story...

* Earthquakes. Sounds simple, but even this natural phenomenon is rarely used in D&D games. Are these naturally occurring, or indications that Tharizdun's release draws near...

* Ash rains from the sky from time to time, though no fire seems to be occurring anywhere nearby. Prolonged exposure/breathing in of this ash can cause anything from headaches to hallucinations, the latter of which lead to anger and even violence. Small problems are exaggerated to extremes. Someone who owes you a little money may now appear to be keeping it from you in an attempt to cause you financial troubles, etc.

* Flesh worms. What starts as a small painful rash, turns into many and before long, movement can be seen below the skin as these worms "bore" their way through flesh and bone. An additional symptom of hosting these worms could be the above hallucinations, etc.

* Smell of Hatred. People begin describing a "smell", described as something strange... perhaps even something pleasant like mint. It may even be that only the young and the elderly experience this smell, but before long these same people begin acting aggressively/violently. The world is essentially bleeding with hate.

Anyway, I need to run - just some quick ideas ;)

Remove ads