• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Thoughts on 10 hour Marathon Session of 5E

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
TPK. Time of death of party, 3:20am ...

Text from the party Wizard the next day, "New rule, no new battles after 11:00pm."
When I ran 1E, 90% of the game occurred after 11 PM.

Now we're all too old. In a 4E game I ran, the wizard player awoke and immediately said "Fireball. I fireball him." The other players panicked, since they had been previously been on the receiving end of "Ol' Friendly Fire"s damage spells more than once.

But I was nice and let him wake up before asking "Are you sure you want to do that?" :p

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Thanks for sharing your review Pedro. I really enjoy reading these posts, they are the main reason I joined EN world. Im glad your group had a great time, mine did too. I started with a few guys from our D&D game day at my local FLGS that have now turned into a regular monthly group. I think you'll find alot of great tools for new DMs here, just go to the download section. I agree 100% with you that combat is not the chore it used to be, and I think some of that is that the game is back in the DM's control, where it should have stayed.

Do you plan on running HotDQ (hoard of the dragon queen)? Im planning on starting my group right after completing the Lost Mines.

pedro2112

First Post
Thanks for sharing your review Pedro. I really enjoy reading these posts, they are the main reason I joined EN world. Im glad your group had a great time, mine did too. I started with a few guys from our D&D game day at my local FLGS that have now turned into a regular monthly group. I think you'll find alot of great tools for new DMs here, just go to the download section. I agree 100% with you that combat is not the chore it used to be, and I think some of that is that the game is back in the DM's control, where it should have stayed.

Do you plan on running HotDQ (hoard of the dragon queen)? Im planning on starting my group right after completing the Lost Mines.

Thanks for the kind words, chibi. The LoMP game is with guys I've been playing with since college (we are all in our mid 40s). We dabbled as a group in 3.5, but only played a session or two of 4th. 15 years ago I moved about 100 miles away from them, so this is the first time we've played together, in earnest, in many years. We are all having a blast. Even though it was a TPK (except for the Zhentish rogue who ditched the rest of the party when the writing was on the wall!), everyone had a great time. I think the impetus to push forward into the wee hours of he morning was that they knew we would be starting over at level 1 after the end of the module. I think they wanted to end it last weekend rather than have to come back again to finish it.

As such, we are not doing HotDQ afterwards. I am running that for encounters/expeditions at our FLGS (I ran 4e encounters for a couple of years), and I am not that enamored with it. I think it shows the strength of 5th ed, that everyone is having a blast even though the adventure has a lot of shortcomings.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads