• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thoughts on Fane of the Drow?

IronWolf

blank
philreed said:
Isn't it supposed to be a merger of the two games?

That is what WotC seems to indicate with their product description.

"Fantastic Locations: Fane of the Drow features two double-sided poster maps designed for roleplaying and miniatures skirmish play. An accompanying 16-page adventure can be dropped into any campaign." WotC Product Page

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
IronWolf said:
That is what WotC seems to indicate with their product description.

"Fantastic Locations: Fane of the Drow features two double-sided poster maps designed for roleplaying and miniatures skirmish play. An accompanying 16-page adventure can be dropped into any campaign." WotC Product Page

Thanks. I thought that was what I had read.

Maybe the local store will have a copy open (they're pretty good about that sort of thing). I should head over there today.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I like it.

Disclaimer: Fane of the Drow is not an adventure module. It's a "Fantastic Location"

It contains a short adventure or rather adventure part - a single location or set of locations, where you not only get the stats and background info you need, but also a full-scale maps for the lcoations. You can also use the maps for something else, of course.

For RPG'ers, this is good for a one-short or tie-in dungeon for your own adventure. Actually, I think that's neat: You have your city and other locales all thought out and so on, but the party wants to go on a dungeon crawl. BAM! here's your dungeon. You can use it as the dungeon where the characters find that artifact/relic/family hairloom they are supposed to recover, or the villain they are supposed to hunt down. You can even put the maps together to get an even bigger complex.

For DDM'ers, you get 4 full-colour maps, one of which is ready for epic (former extreme/huge) play. For those who don't know it: The set after Underdark, called Wardrums, will be the next starter set, and won't come with a battlegrid and tiles, but with a couple (I think it's 2 double-sided maps, too) of full-scale maps. After that, there will be no more new official tiles - retailer kits will come with epic stat cards for older figures (Drizzt or Mordenkainen, anyone?), there will be new maps in Dragon and in Fantastic Locations.

I'm satisfied with Fane of the Drow, but then again, I play both D&D and DDM. If you want it for the RPG value, you must decide whether you want a fully detailed and mapped tie-in location you can built into an adventure. Remember that you can use those maps to put miniatures on, not just to show players where what is.

(edit) Hey, Merric: Still don't have it? While it would be quite an effort (and not really approved by Wizards) to scan the whole maps, I think they don't mind if someone would scan the small-scale maps on the inside of the cover. Want it?

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Kae'Yoss said:
It contains a short adventure or rather adventure part - a single location or set of locations, where you not only get the stats and background info you need, but also a full-scale maps for the lcoations. You can also use the maps for something else, of course.

Other than the poster-size maps this sounds like exactly what we did with the Adventure Locations: Ice Tomb of the Dwarf Lord PDF Ronin Arts released last year.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
philreed said:
Other than the poster-size maps this sounds like exactly what we did with the Adventure Locations: Ice Tomb of the Dwarf Lord PDF Ronin Arts released last year.

Sounds like it. I think those full-scale maps are a big plus, though, assuming you use miniatures for the combat. And for people playing DDM it is no question.

Hm... I don't know whether there's any law against doing maps with DDM designations (the proper symbols for difficult tarrain, victory areas, and the like). If not, that would be a nice Idea for the d20 scene (though the problem is that those maps won't be legal in sanctioned events - which I don't care about).

Klaus

First Post
This seems to jive well to Necromancer's Clark Peterson's mantra "We give you the Death Star. *You* tell Star Wars."

Remove ads