• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thoughts on summoning

LGodamus

First Post
I was considering changing summon monster and summon natures ally spells from 1round/ level to 3rounds +1 round/ level.

Do any of you consider this a bad change. My reasoning is that the summoning spells are horribly underpowered at low level..so this would help tremendously below 5th level or so, but wouldnt overpower anything at high levels since they generally last longer than most battles anyway, and the three extra rounds wouldnt be a deciding factor.

Comments?

Tyrion

First Post
I would say the spells are perhaps underpowered at 1st level, but at 2nd level with 2 rounds duration they are very useful...especially Summon Nature's Ally I, since you can summon a full-fledged wolf. Remember, while the monster is inflicting damage it often also absorbs damage meant for party members, thus saving a healing spell or two as well.

DreamChaser

Explorer
I make them "1 round per level or Concentration, up to 1 minute per level"

this allows the caster to actually use them for other things than combat or for a longer time in combat but prevents them from doing anything else while maintainin it. The choice must be made when the spell is cast.

DC

LGodamus

First Post
I had considered the concentration thing, but I believe it makes them a little too strong and steps on the toes of the planar binding / ally spells. hence the 3+ 1 per level duration...

DreamChaser

Explorer
Kamard said:
how about concentration + 1 round per level?

I had considered this too, but thought that it was more powerful than my option. With this duration, you have the full duration of the spell after you finish concentrating, giving you the ability to cast it before combat starts (if you know there is going to be one), concentrate until combat starts, then let it loose to full effect.

My version requires you to choose: concentrate the whole time (up to 1 min per level). If you stop concentrating, the spell ends at the end of that round. OR you can use the normal, lack of concentration duration of 1 round per level.

Considering that concentration prevents you from casting spells other spells, it basically ties the hands of the caster using it.

DC

LGodamus

First Post
Dream, I think I am gonna playtest the method you proposed and the one I had ...to check them for balance. We will see how it goes.

SweeneyTodd

First Post
It'll only give a noticable boost at the lowest levels, which is when PCs can really use it. I always thought Summon Monster I at first level was inferior to Magic Missile; this might help.

I think something based off of concentration is a good idea. Combat power aside, the duration of the spell completely breaks my suspension of disbelief and makes the spell virtually useless outside of combat. 30 seconds for a 5 level wizards? Give me a break.

Remove ads