WotBS Thoughts on unusual race choices for WotBS

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
So I'm going to be starting Burning Sky this weekend, and the characters I've been given are...interesting. I want to tie in characters to the game as much as possible, to give some long-term plot threads to make the players part of the story.

Here's what I've got:

Dragonborn sorcerer. This one is easy. He's finding his way in the world to understand magic and give glory to his clan. I am planning on saying he made his way up to Gate Pass with another Dragonborn who is studying the forest to the south. That's a neat tie-in with the second adventure. I'm wondering if the dragonborn from that scenario will ever make a reappearance in the adventure, since that's an addition.

Genasi Swordmage (fire). This was another interesting choice. The player tells me that his character was born of normal parents, but somehow along the way he was infused with the power of fire, making him a genasi. He has no idea why this happened, and is taking "blessed by dreams." That was a great choice: I am tying him into the story in a big way, into the mythology of the four great spirit forces.

Both of those characters are solid, and I've got ideas for them...the other two, well...

Changling Rogue or Rogue Bard. Hmmn, I don't recall any doppleganger characters in the game from the 3X version, so I'm a little lost with this guy. Any thoughts?

And the real kicker:

Warforged Druid. The players idea is that a spiritual force merged, against all odds, with a mechanical being. I think that's an interesting idea, but I have no clue initially how to work it into the game, as obviously there are no warforged in the old campaign.

Any thoughts or ideas? Let me know about it!

--Steve

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We already know what the "major" race demographics are in WotBS, but there's always that last couple of percent which could be made up of anything. Certainly Gate Pass is fairly cosmopolitan.

Heck, your warforged could even be one of a kind!

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
Quick thoughts, which feel free to yoink, mutilate, or discard as you please:

The changeling is from Shahalesti. Expressly in the employ of the Shahalesti military, the changeling is in deep cover in Gate Pass trying to gauge the strength of the city and its ability to resist invasion. If you're being kind, he may just be sizing up the place to shore up Shahalesti confidence that Ragesia won't roll in and take over any time soon. He's got an axe to grind against Ragesia for some reason -- that's why he joined up in the first place. Of course it all goes to heck when the city is actually invaded. Do his orders cover saving his own skin, or does he construct a new agenda as he's listening to Torrent in the Poison Apple?

The warforged is Ragesian. As a mindless drone, he used to work (directly or indirectly) for Emperor Coaltongue: perhaps Coaltongue once commissioned a unit of warforged automatons, or perhaps this one is as Morrus says one of a kind. *Something* awoke him to sentience, and he's only recently come to his senses, finding himself in Gate Pass. A sort of thematic cross between Wolverine and the Iron Giant, with, if the player's up for it, a little Frankenstein's Monster thrown in for extra roleplaying fuel. Is he a new, innocent lifeform or the victim of a strange plot of some kind?

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Quick thoughts, which feel free to yoink, mutilate, or discard as you please:

The changeling is from Shahalesti. Expressly in the employ of the Shahalesti military, the changeling is in deep cover in Gate Pass trying to gauge the strength of the city and its ability to resist invasion. If you're being kind, he may just be sizing up the place to shore up Shahalesti confidence that Ragesia won't roll in and take over any time soon. He's got an axe to grind against Ragesia for some reason -- that's why he joined up in the first place. Of course it all goes to heck when the city is actually invaded. Do his orders cover saving his own skin, or does he construct a new agenda as he's listening to Torrent in the Poison Apple?

The warforged is Ragesian. As a mindless drone, he used to work (directly or indirectly) for Emperor Coaltongue: perhaps Coaltongue once commissioned a unit of warforged automatons, or perhaps this one is as Morrus says one of a kind. *Something* awoke him to sentience, and he's only recently come to his senses, finding himself in Gate Pass. A sort of thematic cross between Wolverine and the Iron Giant, with, if the player's up for it, a little Frankenstein's Monster thrown in for extra roleplaying fuel. Is he a new, innocent lifeform or the victim of a strange plot of some kind?
These are great! I will have to check with the players and see what they think about them. Thanks VERY MUCH for the help!

--Steve

Remove ads