D&D 5E Thoughts Regarding the Number of Attuned Items

S

Sunseeker

There are some fun and useful magic items out there that do not require attunement. Such as:

Alchemy Jug
Apparatus of Kwalish
All non-special magical armors and weapons (ie: simple +1/+2/+3 items)
All of the Bags
Boots of Elvenkind
Broom of Flying
Cap of Water Breathing
Carpet of Flying
Chime of Opening
Daern's Instant Fortress
Dagger of Venom
Dimensional Shackles
...and many, many more.

There is quite frankly, a ton of cool magic stuff that does not require attunement.

I really dislike the sort of D&D that makes magic item wearing out to be something you have fill ever socket with. Rings, stones, goggles, neck, cloak, armor, hands, feet, belt, etc... It's just too much. Having a limit of 3 is a good way to make magic items feel more rewarding.

There are some fun and useful magic items out there that do not require attunement. Such as:

Alchemy Jug
Apparatus of Kwalish
All non-special magical armors and weapons (ie: simple +1/+2/+3 items)
All of the Bags
Boots of Elvenkind
Broom of Flying
Cap of Water Breathing
Carpet of Flying
Chime of Opening
Daern's Instant Fortress
Dagger of Venom
Dimensional Shackles
...and many, many more.

There is quite frankly, a ton of cool magic stuff that does not require attunement.

I really dislike the sort of D&D that makes magic item wearing out to be something you have fill ever socket with. Rings, stones, goggles, neck, cloak, armor, hands, feet, belt, etc... It's just too much. Having a limit of 3 is a good way to make magic items feel more rewarding.

I honestly think that's what he thinks he's supposed to do.

I wanted to also thank everyone for their responses; I'm glad to see so many people agreeing with my thought process.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
The amount of magic I've given is actually a little less than I've given in my Dragonlance game. This is really only about one character...he just happens to be the one who is the "right one" to receive the items he has...a magic bow that requires attunement, a Cloak of Displacement, and a magic short sword that requires attunement. There are a set of Bracers of Archery that he has, but he can't attune those and the other three items, and he's complaining very vociferously about it (I quote, "WoTC designers are smoking crack!").

Much of what you guys have said are the very same arguments I have made. One of my ideas was to allow one extra slot of attunement at 9th level (when their next proficiency bonus hits), though I do really like the idea of the feat...they want the extra magic slot, they have to give up one of their precious feats.

The Cloak can be used by anyone. Does the party really need to have a PC load up with both ranged items and melee items? He is trying to cover multiple bases. Is that really the selfless thing to do for the good of the party, or is he stretched too thin and now is whining about how the party has to give him the best stuff to compensate for his bad choices? It is not like he is going to have enough feats to cover both ranged and melee combat, unless he rolled sky high stats.

I am thinking that the value of attunement limits is apparent, right here. I can imagine loosening up for a high level campaign, perhaps.

The Cloak can be used by anyone. Does the party really need to have a PC load up with both ranged items and melee items? He is trying to cover multiple bases. Is that really the selfless thing to do for the good of the party, or is he stretched too thin and now is whining about how the party has to give him the best stuff to compensate for his bad choices? It is not like he is going to have enough feats to cover both ranged and melee combat, unless he rolled sky high stats.

I am thinking that the value of attunement limits is apparent, right here. I can imagine loosening up for a high level campaign, perhaps.

He wants to be the absolute best...both melee and ranged. That's how he plays.

I just wanted to get perspective from other players/DMs regarding attunement. The news for him is not going to be good.

Agamon

Adventurer

I just wanted to get perspective from other players/DMs regarding attunement. The news for him is not going to be good.

Well, you never know. We might all be smoking crack...

Staffan

Legend
Its about fashion balance too. Sure you can wear 3 cloaks, but should you?

Why not? A similar fashion choice seems to be working for this dude:
four-popped-collars-cool.jpg

DaveDash

Explorer
My group is level 16 now. I've been rolling loot for them this whole time.

On one hand, attunement does help keep a lid on the power potential of characters decked out in magic items. Also there are a lot of items that do not requirement attunement as well.

On the other hand, they are losing out on some interesting items that DO require attunement because they're simply not as optimal as some other items. Interesting Ioun stones are left gathering dust, as are wands, some staffs, and cool items they've found like a cube of force.

I'm still not sure if I would raise attunement at higher levels, but there probably could be more leniency like attunement caps based on item TYPES. Ie 3 wonderous items, 1 wand, 1 staff or weapon, 1 armour.

Coredump

Explorer

And there is nothing wrong with that. But how does that lead the rest of the party to decide he is the "right one" to get all of the magic? Is no one else trying to be good at range or melee?

Remove ads