D&D 5E Thoul

Blue Phoenix RPG

Publisher/Designer
Originally appear in the basic D&D in modules like B5 Horror on the Hill, etc.

Thoul

Medium monstrosity, chaotic evil
Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 22 (5d8)
Initiative+2
Speed 30 ft.
STR 17 (+3) / DEX (14+2) / CON 10 (+0) / INT 1 (-6) / WIS 8 (-2) / CHA 4 (-3)
Damage Immunities: poison
Condition Immunitiescharmed, frightened, paralyzed, petrified
Damage Vulnerabilities acid,fire
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages Common
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Regeneration. The thoul can regenerate 3 hit points at the start of its turn. Ifthe thoul takes acid or fire damage, this trait doesn't function atthe start of the thoul's next turn. If the thoul has time to eathumanoid flesh it can regenerate 6 hit points per turn. The thouldies only if it starts its turn with 0 hit points and can'tregenerate (because of a fire or acid attack).
Nimble Escape.Thethoul can take the Disengage or Hide action as a bonus action on eachof its turns.
Actions

Bite. MeleeWeapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 0 ft., one target. Hit: 9(2d6+2) piercing damage.
Claws.Melee Weapon Attach: +4to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit:7(2d4+2) slashing damage. Target must save on DC 10 Constitutionsaving throw or be paralyzed for 1 minute (10 rounds). The targetcan repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns.
Weapon Use. Thethoul can use simple or martial weapons.

enjoy.

Last edited:

jadrax

Adventurer
If you want it to be consistent with prior editions, Thouls should speak Goblin as well as common.
Also, given that Thouls could be shamans of up to 5th level or witch doctors up to 4th level, I would probably up the mental stats quite a bit. Intelligence 1 is lower than a Ochre Jelly; Thouls should probably be in the 8-10 range - just a step below Hobgoblins.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to best use these critters? No disrespect meant (I like the build) but I always found the concept a bit silly (flumph-level silly) and a bit of a “gotcha” monster (“you thought it was a lowly hobgoblin? HA HA!”). Any experiences using them?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to best use these critters? No disrespect meant (I like the build) but I always found the concept a bit silly (flumph-level silly) and a bit of a “gotcha” monster (“you thought it was a lowly hobgoblin? HA HA!”). Any experiences using them?

In the B/X rules Thouls are described as living among hobgoblins and sometimes acting as bodyguards to the hobgoblin king. There were thouls with the hobgoblin tribe in module B5 Horror on the Hill.

Remove ads