Three Days to Kill

Simon Collins

Explorer
Beware! This review contains major spoilers.

Three Days To Kill is an adventure module for characters of 1st-3rd level. It costs $8.95.

Production & Presentation: This is a softcover 32-page module. The front cover is an unusual but average piece of colour artwork. The back cover introduces the module and outlines its features. The front inside cover contains a basic map of the surrounding area and a more detailed map of the area around Trail’s End Villa. The back inside cover contains a basic but helpful map of the first and second floor of Trail’s End Villa itself. Further maps of Deeptown and three of its temples can be found within the module itself. These maps can be downloaded from www.atlas-games.com in Campaign Cartographer form. The text is well-defined and clear, making it easy to read. The text takes up about three-quarters of each page in a familiar two-column layout – the edge of each page is bordered by a totemic drawing – the pages at the chapter beginnings are 2/3 text in one column only. There are five pieces of pencil-sketch internal black & white artwork, some of which is of good quality and useful, some of which is unnecessary or average. There is also a photocopiable players handout of the route to Trail’s End Villa, which you could draw yourself.

The Story: The story is split into three chapters. Chapter One is 11 pages and is entitled ‘Backdrop’. This includes an explanation of the adventure and ways to customize it, an overview of the economic and political background, a description of the players base (Deeptown), a rundown of the local bandit groups, and information about the relevant temples in Deeptown that impinge on the adventure. Statistics are given for the important NPCs and a few local rumours thrown in for good measure. Chapter Two: Getting Started (7 pages), outlines the PCs arriving in Deeptown at the start of a festival sponsored by a sect devoted to an evil god of vice and debauchery. The scenes depicted in the festival are for use with a… how shall I put it… more mature roleplaying group. There is an amusing Drinking Game outlined in this section, which is supposed to be for roleplaying purposes, but could equally well be used in real life for those old enough to consume alcohol. The aim is to tell your opponent how you are going to kill him/her in the most amusing and creative way – get the module if you want the full rules for the game. The next section details the adventure hook – a disguised lieutenant of one of the local bandit lords offers the PCs a substantial reward if they disrupt a meeting between a rival bandit lord and some potential new allies (actually priests of the cult who sponsor the festival). The lieutenant also offers the PCs several magic items to aid them. An alternative adventure hook is given for ‘paladins and paranoids’. A number of tips are given to deal with PCs taking the scenario in different directions than the main one outlined. Chapter Three: The Trek North (8 pages) deals with the main focus of the adventure. On their way to Trail’s End Villa, where the meeting is to take place, the PCs come across some acolytes murdered by orcs. The next section details the defences organised surrounding the meeting and the layout of the villa. The next section outlines possible strategies that the PCs might take. Following that is an introduction to a very nasty item, The Bone Mirror, which is a portal straight to hell. The acolytes of the evil sect have brought the mirror with them to demonstrate their power to the bandit lord. There follows information on how to use the bone mirror to create chaos for the PCs and for the scenario as a whole, using this artifact. Three minions of hell are outlined, with statistics, and can be introduced via the mirror to toughen the scenario if necessary. To make things even worse, six orcs also show up at this point, looking to earn glory with their tribe by taking ears off a few of the bandits, acolytes, PCs or even the minions of hell. It’s one hell of an ending. Further information is outlined dealing with the possible consequences of the outcome and future adventures. A box at the end gives the Challenge ratings of all the opponents.

The High Points: I like the adventure hook – the PCs are hired by bandits to cause havoc for their rivals and a group of evil cultists. That has potential for further adventures right from the start. There are all sorts of scams and powerplays happening in Deeptown that started me thinking of several adventures that could be linked to them. The evil Sect of the Sixty, which promotes evil through vice and debauchery, seems an excellent organisation for long-term villainy, since its actions are never overt – it seeks to gain power covertly over time with insidious plots, blackmail and the like. I appreciated the introduction of some adult themes – this was done in a way that was not gratuitous, allowed the PCs to see the consequences of their actions at a later date, allowing mature themes to be threaded into the adventure in a responsible manner. The module allows for PCs to take alternative actions throughout the adventure and the final scene at the villa has many possibilities, dependent on the actions of the PCs – a refreshing change. I particularly liked the Bone Mirror and its possible uses for enhancing the scenario.

The Low Points: I felt that too much was covered in too short a space and that areas of the module that seemed particularly interesting were not fleshed out enough. Certainly the DM has to do some work to develop these ideas. This was also true of the NPCs – I would have liked more information on their attitudes and behaviours. The module warns that if the PCs charge into the final scene without a strategy they could easily get slaughtered – if you run a group who dives into combat without a second thought, the finale could be a harsh lesson. Also, if all the possible combatants are introduced in the finale, you may end up with a very complex final combat, which would tax even the quickest mind in keeping track of all the NPC groups and the PCs. I found the internal maps of the town and temples to be bland and uninspiring.

Conclusion: I have given this adventure a Good rating because I feel it gives a useful example of how to weave political, moral and religious themes into a relatively open-ended adventure. If they’d been able to flesh out the setting and the NPCs a bit more it could have been Superb.

Three Days to Kill is a 32 page adventure for 1st to 3rd level characters. About half the module consists of background and setup details. The material on the Deeptown area, the bandit lords, and the rival churches is great and very useful as a starting point for a campaign or for expanidng to further adventures.

The actual adventure consists of the party being hired by a bandit group to disrupt the plans of a rival group. This is a fairly striaghtforward adventure, but an aggressive party (like my sorry players!) can really get messed up by charging in wildly. Players who like tactics will appreciate this finale. There are also nice suggestions for the DM in case the party is having too easy a time or are getting wiped out.

I liked the clear, easy-to-read layout. The maps are very useful. Unfortunately, the area maphas certain detials on it that limit its usefulness as a handout to players, especially if the DM wants to use the included town of Deeptown as the center for a campaign.

The good points to this module are clear presentation, good background, room for expansion, and an adventure emphasizing tactics. The bad point is that the actual adventure is fairly short. But this is a good buy.

Three Days to Kill is a 32 page adventure for 1st to 3rd level characters. About half the module consists of background and setup details. The material on the Deeptown area, the bandit lords, and the rival churches is great and very useful as a starting point for a campaign or for expanidng to further adventures.

The actual adventure consists of the party being hired by a bandit group to disrupt the plans of a rival group. This is a fairly striaghtforward adventure, but an aggressive party (like my sorry players!) can really get messed up by charging in wildly. Players who like tactics will appreciate this finale. There are also nice suggestions for the DM in case the party is having too easy a time or are getting wiped out.

I liked the clear, easy-to-read layout. The maps are very useful. Unfortunately, the area maphas certain detials on it that limit its usefulness as a handout to players, especially if the DM wants to use the included town of Deeptown as the center for a campaign.

The good points to this module are clear presentation, good background, room for expansion, and an adventure emphasizing tactics. The bad point is that the actual adventure is fairly short. But this is a good buy.

You and your team have just been handed a new job: disrupt a meeting between a bandit lord and his mysterious new allies. At a remote mountain villa, you will strike hard and fast and leave terror in your wake. They give you the tools. You provide the talent. Survive, and you'll be well rewarded. Fail, and you'll pay the price.

otto

First Post
As a DM, "Three Days to Kill" was one of those adventures I love to run. The strength of this module is the fact that it let's the DM set-up and react to what the players do, instead of vice-versa. It was alot of fun to watch my PCs discuss/argue among themselves on a plan of action, and then watch as their carefully laid plans unraveled during the assault as the opposition had a few tricks up their sleeves.

While the adventure was very enjoyable for DM and Players, the best part of this product is the detail provided on the mountain town of Deeptown. Deeptown has become a important waypoint in my campaign because of the details in this module.

I would highly recommend this adventure.

Warchild

First Post
This is not a playtest or free product review.

Cost: The item is somewhere in the middle of the usual cost for this sized modules, at 8.95 for 32 pages. At about 28 cents a page its not a selling point, but nor is it really a huge detraction.

Art:
The art is this book is dark and fits the mood of the settinng quite well. I might have found it a bit lax, but they did a good job of fitting the mood, so not a big detraction either.

Chapter 1:
This chapter deals with large town of Deeptown within the Deeps Valley. This setting has enough background and adventure ideas to support a campaign, not just a simple adventure. The overall attitude of this setting (and adventure in general) is more gritty/grimmer than your garden variety fare, be warned. It reminded me quite a bit of the Warhammer FRPG setting. Quite nice i thought. This chapter is about as big as the other two chapters combined, which may seem strange in an adventure book. However, the amount plot strings and setting info contained in this chapter is, as i said, can generate more than just one adventure.

Chapter 2:
Getting Started
This chapter describes the scenario/plot. The players are in town (as result of wanderings, carvan work, or direct hire, etc) during the Festival of Plenty. After a night or two of partying (or Not), the characters are hired by mysterious benefactors to disrupt a shady dealing outside of town. There exists alternate avenues for a DM with a group of players who are more discerning or decent to accept an assault mission with a blind hire. The players are given limited equipment with which to aid their mission, including a few magic items (mostly one shot items) to sweeten the deal. Which is good seeing as how there is little booty in the end.

Chapter 3:
The Hit!
This chapter describes the trip north to the target villa, the focus of the mission. Once at the villa, after a strange discovery during their trip), the players stake out the house. A lack of planning or strategy at this point can cause trouble for the characters, though the encounter is set up to easily adjust the opposition for weaker/stronger results a
nd contains a cool twist to the scene i'll not give away. The alternating plot strings could spur this little ending into a mexican stand stand off-like flurry, but is sure to entertain!
Any ending to the scene is likely to prompt another adventure or two.
This chapter allows also gives us 3 new creatures. The Wicker Man, The Black Dog, and the Leprous Strider.

D20 Mechanics:
There were some mistakes, but they were not very detracting. The creature type was left out of the Stat Blocks, but as the errata claims, they were quite obvious. However, the most glaring mistake was in the Black Dog write up. It has Howl ability that affects non-lawful targets, but no saving throw DC, though its a Will save. In general however, the mechanics are quite strong, though there is not a lot of new rules presented. There is one or two cool new items however, that will make this whole mission worthwhile.
The book also presents a drinking game based on your ability to threaten your opponent called "I'll Kill You!!" that i found quite entertaining.

Overall:
This adventure module delivers a whole lot of bang for your bucks. I have always preferred a more open ended style of adventure design. All the basics and outlines are in place, but allows for the maximum amount of customization. The overall theme is quite darker than the average D&D product, however, which should be noted. Nothing really graphic, but a more realistic (or perhaps plausible is a better word) tone set up. If you are looking for a lighter tone, or a more A-B-C adventure, you will want to lower this rating to a 4 (or even a 3 if your looking for both). Overall, i have gotten much pleasure out of this product.

Cost: -.5 (ho hum)
Art: -.5 (see above)
Material: +1 (great stuff)
Mechanics: -0 (decent)
Rating: 5 of 5. A scale of 1-5, beginning at 5.

S'mon

Legend
I thought most of the maps were really poor - the town map in particular is idiotic; judging by the scenario Deeptown is a smallish settlement but it's described as being 2 miles across and the map shows something nothing like any real city could ever be.

Remove ads