Three Easy Pieces. What's in Your Box?

Gaming pieces. Plastic, Wood, or Cardboard? Which one makes a game sing for you?

Gaming pieces. Plastic, Wood, or Cardboard? Which one makes a game sing for you?

I picked up Agricola this week. I know, I know, it came out ages ago and I'm behind the curve. Everyone who was interested in it has already got it. Except me, of course.

So, why do I mention it? Because, inside the Agricola box is a small forest worth of wooden bits. If there is one thing I really like around here, it is wooden bits for games. The more the better. In fact, one of the chief distinctions between a Euro game of the Catan, Carcassonne, Power Grid variety and American games like Risk, Descent, and Ticket to Ride is the prevalence of wooden versus plastic playing pieces.

To me, there is something very pleasing about a wooden game piece. Maybe the texture or the way they are colored or just the sort of rustic charm they add to a game is what does it for me. Plastic is all right and certainly has it's place when it comes to accurately representing what you are moving around the board, but it lacks a certain warmth and personal feel.

Risk, when it first came out, much like many other games at the time, used wooden pieces. I have an old Risk game from 1959 that use to belong to my Mother. Individual units are the, now typical, wooden block, but the pieces representing ten units together weren't easily defined shapes necessarily. They are strange, kind of oblong, pinched in the middle, wooden triangular shaped bits.

And the colors! No one in their right mind today would produce pink army units in a 'serious' war game. Yet here they are, in their own individual slots, right next to the more traditional red, blue, black, and green. There is something fascinating about considering what was going through the minds of Parker Brothers when they produced the game.

You lose that sort of thing in the shift to plastic pieces. Plastic bits are the thing they are supposed to be when you look at them. There are no secret mysteries to consider when you look at field guns or soldiers, they're field guns and soldiers.

Some games need the plastic pieces, though. They drive home the theme of the game. Games like Twilight Imperium and Space Hulk just wouldn't work as well if you weren't shuffling around all that plastic. The problem is, all that plastic tends to drive the price right through the roof what with having to design them, make molds and get them produced.

No, for me, the wooden block is the way to go. Even those are getting more sophisticated though. Look at Carcassonne and realize that this is where the trend of amusingly shaped wooden pieces began. Those meeples, the little farmers/workers/what-have-you, began cropping up all over the place. And soon they were joined by much more diverse brethren.

Now you can find not just meeples, but witches, fedora wearing adventurers, clergymen, detectives, Dracula, Gandalf, lumberjacks, pirates, vikings, cavemen and much, much more. Those are just the human variants, the realm of animal shaped meeples is even more diverse. Polar bears, sheep, cows, dogs, kangaroos, penguins and a veritable zoo of other animals are all out there in meeple form.

The real home of little wooden blocks seems to be war games though. Anyone who has experienced the Commands & Colors games from GMT Games can tell you that they come with a bevy of blocks. All of which need stickers applied to them, on both sides. Not something to be undertaken lightly.

It is probably here though that my love of wooden blocks really developed. Applying all the stickers and then seeing them come to life on the board of this light war game really brought it all home for me. There was something almost majestic about the way the troops marched down the battlefield combined with the uncertainty of just which troops would be doing the marching. Equally magnificent was their retreat back up the field as my opponents Elephants routed them.

Lately the trend seems to be working away from both wooden and plastic bits. The recent economic downturn seems to have dictated a savings of resources in the games industry and brought about the advent of the cardboard chit as a reasonable substitute. Not that cardboard chits are necessarily new, as any fan of the former Avalon Hill can tell you.

The current batch, however, are a step above those of earlier times. Thicker, more colorful, and with better detail, they can now be made to represent something other than a square mono-colored troop unit only identifiable by a number in the corner. Many current games are making full use of new printing and die cutting processes to bring their games to life in both a thematic and a practical way.

Properly good cardboard bits strike a happy balance between wood and plastic. They can capture the theme of a game in a concrete way while, with different finishes on the paper, they can provide an equally satisfactory tactile experience to wooden blocks.

Games like King of Tokyo and Small World, while two very different styles, make excellent use of their cardboard counters. In King of Tokyo's case, the giant monsters appear vibrant and colorful in ways that wouldn't be possible with wood while also appearing dynamic and full of action in a way that would be prohibitively expensive to do in plastic at that scale.

Small World, on the other hand, takes the much more flexible die cutting methods available to cardboard and makes it almost a key implementation of one of the games core mechanics, the mixing and matching of various races and creatures with a selection of variable powers that help to make each game played different. Again, the vibrancy of the printing process makes the game pop and enhances it's visual appeal, too.

Still, wooden pieces really draw me in. Whether it is the little wooden houses, cities, and roads of Catan, the meeples of Carcassonne, the blocks of Commands and Colors, or the pieces of the cathedral in Pillars of the Earth, their tactile and visual appeal increase the enjoyment of a game for me. It is a pretty clear preference, too; the vast majority of my games make use of wooden bits in at least some capacity, by at least a factor of 3:1 over plastic based games. Agricola, being as wood heavy as it is, looks very promising indeed.

What about you though? What playing pieces do you prefer to use? Is plastic your preferred piece for it's ability to portray theme? Does cardboard make your games pop? Or is wood the touchy-feely champion at your game table? Share your thoughts in the comments below and tell me why you prefer one over the other.

I

iknjgjlfn

Prada sale

It really is anticipated that buying designer bags, by way of example Prada bags, require you to pay out around $7,000 or longer. Nonetheless, that is not relevant as within the recent situations. Although you can purchase handbags from local suppliers, you do not get the chance to be sure the standard of your own item unless you're sure the supplier personally. It is the motive why you have have to shop at stores which use existed the market for years currently. There's lots of handbag sellers which you simply can use. A number of them are advertising from with your location, although some people might are normally found through the web. A man or woman online designer bag retailer is EuroHandbag, which sells custom-made Prada bags and various other designer Michael Kors Handbags.

A Prada bag is between quite possibly the most coveted within the marketplace, in terms of designer creations. Combined with large significance about these bags, it has a should take place at the top of handbags and purses that a number of women spanning various pay for. This is basically the motive dui lawyer las vegas find designer bags at discounted rates. This suggests it is possible to store for Prada bags regarding $300. At EuroHandbag, it will be easy to acquire a Prada wholesale replica handbags for $240. Conversely, a wallet because of this model can be a lot fewer than $100. This is really not hard specifically when you don't want to devote thousands about the solitary handbag, or hundreds in the wallet.

The sale of genuine Prada bags has fared so nicely. It is because these bags are formulated with fine quality leather-based elements. The completed and proportion in the bags are with experience to get to know the clients. It's not at all merely the reliability of the Prada bag which makes it preferred amid ladies. It is also its exquisite and desirable layout. For some girls, Prada bags are symbols of sophistication and glamour. Many well-known celebrities in Hollywood are sporting designer handbags, such as Prada bag. This could be the motive why these bags are regarded as must-haves, on the subject of stylish things.

Remaining fashionable certainly won't signify you will will have to splurge. This easy in order to evident in the cheap Prada bags of EuroHandbag. Rapidly fantastically created handbags and purses at the website online, you will be wanting to get them organized for seriously reduced fees. This is exactly only some of the assist you can usually get your hands on using this retailer. EuroHandbag lets you to customize the Prada bag that you've got ordered. It is easy to modify its leather product and choose a buy wholesale handbags from china alternatives. It is possible to decide upon snake skin, ostrich skin, lizard dermis, or crocodile pores and skin. Additionally you can try box calf or togo. Other than the materials within the Prada bag, may modify its dimension. Details pockets or help lock.

EuroHandbag also aids you personalize cooler areas in your own Prada bag. You may shop for from attractive hues to illustrate purple, blue, mild gold, rose red, or glazed silver. Informed infinite variety Prada bags selection, developing have a look at the goods of EuroHandbag.

I

iknjgjlfn

Prada Python Bags

One more excelllent with this bag with two small handles is you may comprehend it in several styles and colors. The Prada bowling bag is boxy and adequate to hang just about anything that you might need. Whether you wish for it in red, green or simply a classical color like black, you are free to think it. Prada Prize 2 The right Prada bag doesn't have a title, nonetheless the BR2375 is total luxury. Made from buffalo leather (that experts claim prada handbags buffalos need to Italy is beyond me, but somehow Prada achieved it occurs), this bag is soft and delish. The bag carries a push lock closure additionally, a corner flap folds during the front in this bag to seal it. Everyone know you'll certainly be carrying a Prada in the metal faceplate. This bag is classic and trendy. Prada Prize 1 Factor Prada bag is considered the shopper's leather shoulder tote. You may well be wondering why a shoulder tote stands out as the best Prada handbag, also, the fact is simple. Provided you can have a Prada bag by having a shop price of well over 1000 available for sale, and therefore are usually capable to put your purchases out of your mall into their normal luxurious bag, people will almost always be visiting equate you utilizing such type of bag. With this Prada bag, you'll have a chance to carry it everywhere, and everybody will probably be jealous inside the bag. Now you have in view the top three Prada bags, you need to know which three Prada bags that you need to keep fingers from. Sure, the celebrities and super models could easily get away with carrying these bags, the average woman will try to be for a clown with your bags. Bad Bag 3 If you can not prada sale just escaped out of the circus or can be quite a nanny, pun intended, the Prada Plex Stampato Tote. This bag just could look like a big number. Plus, which includes a shop price of around 1200 it's not a reasonable mess. As you may get it, you'll not be qualified to move it again, because everyone will notice this loud bag. Bad Bag 2 For a couple of,600, women could possibly get the Prada bag into the future the metallic gaufre messenger bag. For anybody who is considering on dressing like Judy Jetson for Halloween, this might be the top bag. Otherwise, you must pass. Puffy, shiny and quilted aren't a real good mix. Bad Bag 1 The Prada Napa Fringe Hobo is one other bag that ordinary women can't carry. Carrying this purse would make any normal woman seem to be there were a animal growing from her arm. Our advice just for this bag may be to allow celebrities use it, just laugh at them. Sure, Prada enjoys good bags, nonetheless, you can get numerous which in turn you ought to not purchase. When you are more dedicated regarding your purchase and require a classic bag, it is easy to take it around for long periods. Casandra Brooks generally is a designer purse enthusiast, always ready to talk Prada Handbags or all kinds of things designer orientated. On her time Casandra researches Authentic Prada handbags.

Remove ads

Remove ads