Thunder Twin regional requirement (FRCS)

Skarp Hedin

First Post
Now, on table 1-5, on page 33, Thunder Twin is listed as having the prerequisite of "Meet regional requirement"

On page 28, it clearly states that "if you choose a home region preferred by your character class, you may select regional feats appropriate to your region."

On page 38, the Thunder Twin regions are given as "Gold dwarf, shield dwarf"

On page 10, it states that "may thunder children, particularly the twins, study wizardry or the sorcerer's arts."

Now, so far we have a setup where the Forgotten Realms has been given this wacky ol' feat to explain why there's nutty dwarf wizards running around now, when in the old days, they couldn't even -be- wizards. Preserves continuity and all -- dwarf wizards are a recent phenomenon, etc. However, if you need to pick a proper region to match your class to get access to regional feats such as Thunder Twin, and many twins study wizardry.. why is it that if you're a dwarf wizard, you can't take Thunder Twin? Neither Shield Dwarf nor Gold Dwarf is a preferred wizard region.

Now, in my campaign, I just told the PCs they could be thunder twins anyhow. So I don't actually have any kind of problem or difficulty here.. but what I'm wondering is this: Is this intentional, or is there some errata on the subject I haven't been able to find? S'not mentioned in the FRCS errata.

Last edited:

Garmorn

Explorer
Skarp Hedin said:
Now, on table 1-5, on page 33, Thunder Twin is listed as having the prerequisite of "Meet regional requirement"

On page 28, it clearly states that "if you choose a home region preferred by your character class, you may select regional feats appropriate to your region."

On page 38, the Thunder Twin regions are given as "Gold dwarf, shield dwarf"

On page 10, it states that "may thunder children, particularly the twins, study wizardry or the sorcerer's arts."

Now, so far we have a setup where the Forgotten Realms has been given this wacky ol' feat to explain why there's nutty dwarf wizards running around now, when in the old days, they couldn't even -be- wizards. Preserves continuity and all -- dwarf wizards are a recent phenomenon, etc. However, if you need to pick a proper region to match your class to get access to regional feats such as Thunder Twin, and many twins study wizardry.. why is it that if you're a dwarf wizard, you can't take Thunder Twin? Neither Shield Dwarf nor Gold Dwarf is a preferred wizard region.

Read page 28 right hand column, second paragraph after CHARACTER REGION. It says that race is also considered a region and specicly use Gold Dwarf as an example of a racial region. There far any Gold or Shield Dwarf can chose Thunder Child as a regional feat.

Skarp Hedin

First Post
Well, yes - anyone can choose a region, and really.. everyone should. Gotta be from somewhere, after all. However, eligibility for regional feats seems to be defined by your character class. The right-hand column on page 28, under "Regional Feats" says that if you don't choose a character class preferred by your home region, you are ineligible to choose a regional feat. Perhaps the idea they're trying to convey is that most thunder twins start as non-mages, but multiclass into an arcane class.

Last edited:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Skarp Hedin said:
Well, yes - anyone can choose a region, and really.. everyone should. Gotta be from somewhere, after all. However, eligibility for regional feats seems to be defined by your character class. The right-hand column on page 28, under "Regional Feats" says that if you don't choose a character class preferred by your home region, you are ineligible to choose a regional feat. Perhaps the idea they're trying to convey is that most thunder twins start as non-mages, but multiclass into an arcane class.
I agree with that. Also, in this case, I'd advise a Thunder Twin to start out in his favored class (i.e., Fighter) and then multiclass into wizard (or whatever) at level 2 or so...

Garmorn

Explorer
Skarp Hedin said:

The key is Prefered by the class. They are not talking about the Races prefered class but the Classes prefered region. The Bard has Gold and Shield Dwarf as prefered region so any Shield or Gold Dwarf Bard can start with Tunderchild Child. A Gold Dwarf sorcerers can start with Tunderchild.

This as gotten me to think about a nice Gold Dwarf Sorcerer, since Gold Dwaves don't have a penalty to charisma.

Last edited:

green slime

First Post
Confound it, Garmon beat me to it. I just didn't realise this region feat - character class connection before reading this thread. I really get frustrated about finding info spread around in several different places. Makes designing (N)PCs a pain in the butt. It should all be lumped together in one table.

So I'm compiling a character region - character class - feat - equip - language table... or has this already been done?

Gez

First Post
I just think that the "class preferred by region or race" requirement is silly and cumbersome, and ditch it completely.

Another reason is that some regional feats are feats that are related to your past, your heritage (bloodline of fire, for example). Feats that you would get before starting a career.

Wippit Guud

First Post
Gold dwarf thunder twins were made to be bards!

Not only do they not take -2 cha (they take it to dex), but the feat itself grants +2 to cha checks, like perform!

Remove ads