Thundercats/Phantasy Star - Recommend me a System

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
There is also Masters of Umdaar for Fate. It's meant to evoke '80s Sword and Sorcery like He-Man, Thundercats, etc. It's a small Pay-What-You-Want booklet, but I believe it's one of the next projects lined up by Evil Hat Productions to get expanded into a hardback: Fate of Umdaar.

Masters of Umdaar is great. I had some great fun playing in the setting when my friend ran it. I played the last of the bug shamans, a flying locust person with magical powers.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I'd probably use Mutants and Masterminds (2E by preference). It handles powers really well and it has the right 'feel' for the IPs you're using, both in terms of episodic play and lethality.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Hi, I am creating a campaign in a scenario similar to Thundercats/He-Man Masters of the Universe/Phantasy Star. What system would you recommend me for that?
I want it to have flying ships, laser weapons but also that the bulk of the combat still plays around swords, shields and melee in general.
Try Modos 2 (link):
  • There's no gridded combat requirement, so your fantasy characters can jump, dash, and roll without worrying about 5-foot increments.
  • There are no death rules, which is appropriate given the lack of death scenes from the referenced cartoons.
  • The flying ships can use the same physical conflict rules that individuals do (if ship combat must be a thing).
  • Melee can use simple conflict for a sort of storytelling mode, or you can get more nitty-gritty with extended conflict.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
There is also Masters of Umdaar for Fate. It's meant to evoke '80s Sword and Sorcery like He-Man, Thundercats, etc. It's a small Pay-What-You-Want booklet, but I believe it's one of the next projects lined up by Evil Hat Productions to get expanded into a hardback: Fate of Umdaar.
this is what I was going to recommend,its a fun take on things.
Fate Accelerated is my go to for quick loose narrative first play

Remove ads