• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tiefling Warlord for KotS + Extra Skill Challenge

Stalker0

Legend
I haven't heard any one else mention it, so let me toss it out. Doesn't viper strike seem like garbage compared to some of the other warlord at wills? I mean, there's an at will that allows your partner to make an attack, AND get your int bonus added in damage. Why would I select an at will that gave me the "chance" of getting an extra attack, when I can get a guaranteed attack that has extra damage.

Sojorn

First Post
Stalker0 said:
I haven't heard any one else mention it, so let me toss it out. Doesn't viper strike seem like garbage compared to some of the other warlord at wills? I mean, there's an at will that allows your partner to make an attack, AND get your int bonus added in damage. Why would I select an at will that gave me the "chance" of getting an extra attack, when I can get a guaranteed attack that has extra damage.
Because you actually get to attack with Viper's Strike?

Viper's Strike gives you one attack now and your ally one attack if the foe shifts.

Commander's Strike gives your ally one attack now and that's it. The warlord never actually attacks.

Viper's Strike is good for pinning, Commander's Strike is good for offloading your attacks to someone that can do more damage.

Stalker0

Legend
Sojorn said:
Because you actually get to attack with Viper's Strike?

Viper's Strike gives you one attack now and your ally one attack if the foe shifts.

Commander's Strike gives your ally one attack now and that's it. The warlord never actually attacks.

Wow, I can't believe I missed that one. Thanks for clearing up my idiotic lack of insight.

Sojorn

First Post
Stalker0 said:
Wow, I can't believe I missed that one. Thanks for clearing up my idiotic lack of insight.
I hope you didn't take my post as condescending. It confused me too the first time I saw it and I hope I'm understanding the two abilities correctly myself :)

Daelkyr

First Post
I'm glad that they added Inspiring Word, I was seriously worried when I downloaded the pdf this morning.

The one grip I really have is that it doesn't look like the other sheets (but I'm anal retentive that way.) So I went and changed it. You can find my pdf here.

Victim

First Post
Viper's Strike seems like it'd work great with a fighter. The fighter already attacks shifting targets as an interrupt, and could then take an OA as well. If the sword and board fighter build can stop a target with an OA (as per the DnDXP fighter), then you can end up with 3 attacks (VS, interrupt from combat challenge, OA) and prevent the target from moving (which the ordinary anti-shift attack doesn't do IIRC).

Remove ads