D&D 3E/3.5 Time shift; Going back to 3.5!

Marflarius

First Post
So I'm looking for ideas and support concerning a 3.5e campaign, but kind of trying for a darker aspect to it that may possibly include the true name system, and a sanity variant as well, it's been quite some time since I've DM'ed but am really looking for suggestions right now.

Is anyone familiar with Glen Cooks series The Black Company?

Cheers!

Matt

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I hate the word, but Oriental Adventures (?) 3.0 introduced the concept of Taint. Essentially, as heroes come in contact with Undead, Evil spirits/outsiders and some other types of creatures, they inherit points of Taint. As I recall, Taint is like a curse that drains the Wisdom of PC's.

Also, The Book of Vile Darkness (3.5 and AWESOME, find this book if you can) introduced a similar mechanic that caused a type of damage that could not be healed normally nor by magical healing unless cast from inside a Sanctified area.

VariSami

First Post
The Taint system has also been used in Heroes of Horror. In case you're going for a dark game, there might be something of use in the book in any case. It might be better than Oriental Adventures since it's 3.5 (instead of 3.0) and not as strictly limited to oriental hygiene myths (in case I remember the OA version correctly).

Iapetus

Explorer
as for truename magic, Tome of Magic has a system/class for truename and shadow magic
though i'm not sure how good they are

the Jester

Legend
Yeah, Heroes of Horror is awesome. Full of creepy flavor and good tips for setting a dark tone. Definitely worth a look if you don't already have it.

Remove ads