• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Time to look at the back of the character sheet

Clumsy Bob

First Post
I don't know if this just occured in my group, or groups the world over. In pre-3rd edition days the distribution of magic items was a lot more scientific than in todays game. After people took their choice of item we diced to see who got the remaining items, of course we made sure that we all had roughly the same number of items regardless of power.
There was no trade in magic items in our old days so PC's usually found themselves carrying an abundance of, sometimes useless items.
In todays games these redundant items are sold off to fund a new more usefull items.
However a recent game proved to me that I sometimes miss having all of those minor treasures, you see when the party was in dire straits we used to look at the back of the character sheet to see if any of the multitude of items were of any use in a particular encounter. And amazingly, somebody usually found something listed that they had forgotten about that proved usefull.
Today I look at the back of my character sheet and see a half dozen, although usefull items none of them with the character of the older editions.
As an example one of early PC's carried around about three different 2 handed swords (as I said it was an early PC), all were usefull againt different foes. However I feel with the trade in value of goods in todays game I would hae traded in the thre swords for one better weapon.

So after all of the waffle, I get to my original intention of the post.
Do any of you have any 'back of the character sheet' stories where some forgotten item save the day.

Bob

Caspiar

First Post
I hear ya......

Back in the day when encumbrance was an optional rule we all ignored....
i had a character who carried two ten foot long chains of animal control..
my wizard had hundreds of scrolls (although he still managed to always get the right one out). We all had at least three weapons....and no matter what you took...somebody always carried it..... countless rings regardless of the limitation of available fingers (or toes)....

What i really miss are the "fun" items that you just do not see any more. My brother's fighter most prized item was his ever full shaving mug.... i got great use, as a DM, out of the old Book of Marvelous Magic which contained some of the funniest items we had ever seen.....We were so young.... :D

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
This happens to us all the time. I'm getting used to hearing, "Wait! I totally forgot about this!" and then having the item save the day. :)

Henry

Autoexreginated
I still do that - nto with magic items, with normal ones.

Ever seen an iron spike, 50 feet of rope, some leverage and a rock stop a gray render dead? :)

diaglo

Adventurer
we had one player in the story hour in my sig pull needed items out of his back of character sheet. even tho the back of his sheet was empty before the session.

Altalazar

First Post
Ah, those were the days... heck, one character (a dwarf) had a fully functional dwarven forge in a portable-hole like device. That came in handy far more often than one would originally have thought.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Piratecat said:
This happens to us all the time. I'm getting used to hearing, "Wait! I totally forgot about this!" and then having the item save the day. :)

Same problem here. But, if you think about it, it's pretty realistic. I mean, who has time to take inventory when you are fighting for your lives?

Djeta Thernadier

First Post
Well, my PC is an antiques/artifacts dealer when she's not out slaughtering goblins and orcs. She has a magnifying glass. Comes in handy when appraising things. Rope. Rope is ALWAYS good. Esp, if you have mage hand (she also used Mage Hand combined with a silken sash she was wearing around her cloak that had previously been forgotten about once to trip a monster...it worked!)

Another good thing to carry....marbles. :) Really, mundane objects can serve so many uses. Moreso for me than extra weapons and magic items sometimes.

Remove ads