Timelines in your Setting

We don't need false dichotomies, and I often feel like these conversations kind of get into that category, as if the choices are either, "spend too much time creating a history book" or "don't think about any history unless or until you need it for immediate game usage."

I expect most of us identify more to one side of the middle than another, which is why we tend to argue (even politely, like in this thread) against a parody of the other side. It's a natural response and I'm doing it just like everyone else.

But it might be interesting to create some sort of simple scale of history/geography pre-design complexity, and discuss the ramifications of running your campaign using various points on that scale. It seems to me that would be a very useful exercise, not only for those who don't know where to start, but even for those of us with experience to get ideas of how it could change our game if we adjusted how we do it up or down. (I don't always do it the same way myself, so I'd find examples interesting.)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
One thing to keep in mind when thinking about history in a typical D&D setting, as opposed to how we see history in real life, is that in a D&D setting you're likely going to have some very long-lived intelligent races e.g. Elves.

Passing an oral history down through three generations of Humans might bring it forward maybe 100-150 years; passing it down through three generations of Elves could easily bring it forward a thousand years or more with much the same level of accuracy. And if your world has extremely long-lived races e.g. Ents who don't just know ancient history but were there when it happened, that brings a new perspective yet again.

Even more relevant if these long-lived races keep written records of any kind. Ents might not do this, but Elves certainly could; meaning PC Elves might have access to vast amounts of historical knowledge.

aco175

Legend
I'm having small problems in my FR game where the current timeline has jumped another 100 years from 4e to 5e. There is so much detailed over the last 1000 years that it gets harder to include story-specific things without feeling like I am treading on cannon. I know it is my game and to heck with cannon, but I like to remain in the 'spirit' of cannon.

I also find myself thinking about how much of this old tomb is left after another 100 years. In Phandalin, much of the history comes from a 500 year old orc invasion, which is now 600 years old. I gather that my players care less then myself and if their new sword that comes from a kingdom that should have dies off before I said the sword was made, we just change a date.

I guess it comes down to what you have time for and how much planning you need to do. I find that I can only stay ahead of making adventures by a couple weeks and much of the flavor of skimmed over. This is both good and bad and mostly why I'm playing FR again and not my homebrew.

Geoarrge

Explorer
The natural approach for me has been to bounce back and forth between recent and ancient history. The 2E Worldbuilder's Guidebook has some good random tables. My general pattern has been to stick to the immediately relevant details during the session, and then jump back to fill out origin stories for most of the elements when I have the time. The middle history of something tends to get filled in through the process of coming up with origin stories for other things.

Let me mash out an example of my process.

You might start with a random dungeon. The most interesting feature might be, say, a magic pool that grants a one-time permanent +1 to a random physical ability score and 2d10 years of rejuvenation. We can dig up the old Sumerian dictionary for a good name later, but for now it's the Well of Dwayne.

The Well of Dwayne is an outflow of natural magic, possibly the original reason for selecting the site of this structure.

So far, we have a few things:

The Well of Dwayne: Technically, the well itself was constructed as part of Dwayne's Keep. The water source, Dwayne's Spring, has always been where it was, or formed during the last magical cataclysm. For our purposes, we can treat the date it was discovered as its origin. Discovered 680 years ago. All years will be rounded to the decade. Roll a d10 and add it on if you don't like it.
Dwayne: Just by assigning a name to the Well of Dwayne, we've generated a historical character. Presumably, Dwayne discovered the Well.
Dwayne's Keep: Dwayne himself didn't necessarily have anything to do with building the Keep. Technically it's named after the Spring. Built 600 years ago, apparently to protect the Spring from something.

So, sometime about 680 years ago, the swordmaster Dwayne discovered a magic spring that made him stronger and restored his youth. He began sharing the secret of the spring with his students but to his dismay, someone overheard them talking in town, and soon dozens, then hundreds of pilgrims began coming. One day, someone was murdered and their blood spilled into the spring, and everyone there found the waters to be cursed, weakening and aging those who bathed in it. Decades later, the Dwaynian Order agreed that the cursed spring needed to be sealed off, but remained hopeful that the curse would eventually fade. One of the Dwaynians volunteered to test the water, and it seemed that the blessing had returned. However, the town was not convinced.

First pass timeline
680 YA - Dwayne discovers Dwayne's Spring
670 YA - Dwayne's Spring defiled
600 YA - Dwayne's Keep built, diverting the Spring into the Well of Dwayne.

This story creates a number of additional hooks. We've defined Dwayne as a 'swordmaster' but possibly also someone who studies natural magical phenomena. Most likely a ranger. The Dwaynian Order might be a society of rangers. There are other class possibilities, but this works. But now we might look at what caused the Dwaynians to abandon the Keep.

Maybe they went extinct. Maybe they had to move. Maybe they moved and then went extinct.

The Dwaynian Exile: A good tip to remember, is not to make too many assumptions about how something happened before considering the options. All that definitely needs to have happened, is for the Dwaynians to have lost control of Dwayne's Keep, because, remember, it's supposed to be our dungeon. Maybe the Dwaynians decided not to make it widely known that the spring was clean again, so the townsfolk believed it was still cursed and possibly emitting some form of evil influence. The debate over whether it was more important to protect the Well of Dwayne than to be trusted by the locals probably split the Order. Those who remained were a ready scapegoat, possibly for someone deliberately planning to commit a crime and let them take the blame. Or, just some unfortunate coincidence provoked the townsfolk to get out the pitchforks. A curious child wants to see if the Dwaynians are so bad, has a fatal accident or encounter with wild animals on the way, and never makes it home.

The Calendar: Then there's the dates. What is the current year, counted from what? This seems like such a small thing, but it's a major springboard for delving into ancient history. Having a certain number for the current year suggests something important happened that many years ago. That's a whole other exercise. It's enough to say that the current year is 3730 of the Dozenth Epoch.

The New Protectors: Let's say the Dwaynians did go into exile. If they were protecting the town from something, the town would then be vulnerable to, roaming owlbears or whatever. That doesn't mean they'd be helpless all of a sudden; someone else might be ready to fill in the gap. So, maybe the town survived with a different source of protection. They might have had to accept an oppressive deal, costing tribute or extra taxes to post guards. Or a different group of locals rises to the task, possibly themed around a different class. Most likely we don't want full spellcasting types, because they'd be able to investigate the supposedly cursed well and disprove the rumors too quickly. The new protectors should be far more defensively oriented, and not be well equipped to disprove the rumors.

The Turtle Strategy: I'm inclined to go with the tax hike and extra troops from the local ruler. The town walls are built up, the guards have enough outdoor skills to be capable of short hunting expeditions as needed, but they live in town and don't like to go on long scouting treks. So, whatever is out there is not being closely monitored. But the town itself is reasonably safe, and might still be able to keep growing, presumably in the opposite direction of Dwayne's Keep. That growth might be one of the things that eventually causes things to change-- at some point, they can support the presence of a leveled cleric, bard, wizard, whatever.

There's still a huge chunk of middle history to cover yet, and we need to do something with the Dwaynians in exile. Now, the Dwaynian Order was never supposed to be a High and Mighty Ancient Society of Sworn Protectors, with Secret Handshakes and Solemn Oaths. Just a small ranger's guild that got kicked out over a misunderstanding while trying to protect a unique natural wonder. Many of them probably moved on. A few might have tried to keep watch over the town and Dwayne's Keep, and try to get the truth out there somehow. It's time to shift gears and work backwards from the present.

The Quest: The big catalyst in the present is that a real bard has moved in to the town which still needs a name. She's interested in the legend of Dwayne and has been trying to get everyone's oral version. Over the years, the Dwaynians' descendants have managed to plant some of the true details into a few people's versions of the story, but the result is a contradictory mess that the bard is having a lot of fun untangling. She wants to commission an expedition to Dwayne's Keep to see if anything there that can help establish the true story, but everyone who lives in the town is too afraid to go.

The Real Threat: Whatever is keeping people away from the Keep, it can't be purely fictional rumors, because some curious kids would have exposed it by now, so something must have taken up residence relatively soon after the Dwaynians' exile. It has to be something dangerous enough to give trained soldiers pause, so in addition to the owlbears prowling the surrounding woods, I'm inclined to say that there are also trolls. That is to say, the guards might still have fought them if they approached town, but generally not not gone hunting for them.

The trolls might even have another lair somewhere away from Dwayne's Keep, which explains how they might keep returning while the town fixates on the Keep as the source of all nasty things. One or two big raids might help fill out the middle history.

Second pass timeline:
3050 (E12) - Dwayne discovers Dwayne's Spring
3060 - Dwayne's Spring defiled
3110 - Dwayne dies, his disciples continue doing business as the Dwaynian Order.
3130 - Dwayne's Keep built, diverting the Spring into the Well of Dwayne.
3140 - After many Dwaynians abandon the Keep, the town of Threshington gets all pitchforky over the disappearance of little Timmy and runs the remaining Dwaynians out of the area.
3160 - Threshington builds a town wall, and makes a deal with Duke Jeff to post a few troops there, for extra taxes. The area around Dwayne's Keep is shunned by the townsfolk.
3190 - Threshington guards record the first reported sighting of trolls in the Dwayne's Keep area.
3220 - Threshington's incendiary defensive siege weapons are an effective deterrent against troll raids, but the town remains poorly equipped to mount an attack on the troll lairs. Guard Captain Bob's disastrous attempt at a counterattack is recorded as Bob's Folly.
3580 - The Battle of Threshington, where a band of trolls attacked during a rainstorm, and had to be lured into the town hall which was set on fire.
3730 (Present) - The new bard is researching the legend of Dwayne, and wants to commission an expedition to Dwayne's Keep to help with research.

And so on. The next pass, if there needs to be one, might look deeper at who Duke Jeff is, how the town defenses were upgraded after Bob's Folly and the Battle of Threshington, the second troll lair, and the identity of the pro-Dwaynian storytellers.

To make larger leaps back in time, you might go to the founding of Threshington, the Duchy of Jeff, and the kingdom of Thisland, although that probably only extends back some number of centuries. Connecting this to ancient history, though, we might decide that we want to maintain a wild frontier feel in places like Threshington, which gives some shape to what needs to happen to explain why that region isn't very settled.

I hope this was informative, or at least amusing.

Dwayne.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Something I like to do when world building is to create a timeline similar to that of RE Howard's which follows the spread of cultures throughout the Hyborian age until you reach the point you want with the established cultures. The last time I did this, I also included the elves stealing the secrets of arcane magic from dragons so that I could follow the spread of arcane magic as well. My timeline was like the following:

-20 Elves steal magic
-10 Elven civil war (natural magic vs. arcane magic). Arcanists are driven out.
00 Dwarf race crafted. Note that I am not sure why I chose the creation of the dwarven race as my timeline's year 0
00 Goblins find the changestone, the strongest tribes are changed into hobgoblins.
10 Humans migrate from the south into the planes. The elven forests are off-limits.
10 Dwarves breach the side of a great mountain and see the outside for the first time, quickly adapting to life in their new secluded valley.
20 Hobgoblins find and wage war on the dwarves. Their technology advances due to contact with the dwarves.
20 An elf found practising arcane magic is cast out, they make their way to the human tribes continue their studies, taking some humans on as apprentices.
25 The Hobgoblins move south to expand their borders. Humans slow their advance due to a great leader and their recent mastery of arcane magic. Hobgoblins are halted at the borders of the elven forests.
26 A great dragon awakens and destroys the dwarven valley and the hobgoblins besieging it.
26 The great leader of the humans passes away. His generals carve out their own territories forming grand duchies.
27 Dwarves leave their mountain vaults and begin the slaughter of their old hobgoblin enemies who have taken over the valley.
27 Human tribes from further south migrate into the southern plains, eventually intermixing and creating a distinct culture in the south.

There was going to be more to it, I leave some numbers with large gaps so that I can slot in other information and then I can turn the final timeline into a grand history. This also shows how the human cultures (mainly) ended up with their kingdoms and how different cultures developed. The current year was going to be long after #27 with things more or less settled.

Remove ads