Tinkering with a kid-friendly, adult-exciting setting featuring Dragons and Faeries

Kid-friendly, adult-exciting? Neverland Ranch? Ooh, that is so wrong on so many levels...

I recommend taking a look at Spirited Away, one of Miyazaki's films, as inspiration for a kid-friendly adventure.

Hi there! :)

I seem to recall a kids television show (okay I watched a few episodes) from a few years back called The Mystic Knights of Tirnanog, which was a sort of Celtic themed Power Rangers meets Dungeons & Dragons. Each of the heroes had power over one of the elements (later a fifth hero had the power over the forests). They were always battling (or aiding) dragons, faeries, an evil queen or their nemesis, the Sentinels of elemental evil.

Whisper72

Explorer
Hmmm... lotsa things already said here... just some thoughts:

If you want the PC's to be kids, make it such that only kids are still 'fresh' enough to be able to see and interact with the spirit world, adults simply have no clue and cannot see them. A threat to the 'Real World' by some sort of invasion by fairies can therefore only be stopped by children...

If you want to stay away from goryness, blood and guts, have the 'spirit world' fairies sorta 'project' into the Real World, so that vanquishing them basically only banishes the spirit's 'avatar' back to the faerie realm...

Definately have a look at cartoons, especially lately, there's been several about kids with magical powers and such which can also be tons of fun...

Have a look at the old TFOS (Teenagers from Outer Space) game, then convert some of the ideas into a more fantasy based setting, should have plenty ideas to mine for how to go about such stuff...

I think it is important to think about the age categorie you are shooting for, as I think there'd be a very distinct difference between pre-teens and (almost)teens in their tastes and likes as far as settings and adventures go...

Blink blink? Didn't I just see napftor's thread? Parallel evolution or what? Anyway....

That sounds like an interesting setting idea that I'd also check out. My take on it is that kids are most interested (and wowed) by "magic". Anything. If you can let them exercise their imagination, they think it's cool. Now, your idea has a couple popular themes in it. I guess lurking behind this is the dialectic of "what would get the parents and the kids interested". That's the $64,000 question.

frankthedm

First Post
DreadPirateMurphy said:
Kid-friendly, adult-exciting? Neverland Ranch? Ooh, that is so wrong on so many levels...
Yet soo funny.
I recommend taking a look at Spirited Away, one of Miyazaki's films, as inspiration for a kid-friendly adventure.
On the pedophile subject, Spirited Away & Mononoke had a lot less underage upskirt shots than other Miyazaki films. If you can get past that or enjoy that, then try the other Gibli / miyazaki films, The worlds are very magical feeling.

Last edited:

kirinke

First Post
If you haven't read it, try the Neverending story. The book is much better than the movie, though the elements are very much the same. You can possibly glean some ideas from it.

Remove ads