Tinkers Handbook?

Gellion

First Post
I know that a lot of people feel that fantasy should not contain any sort of technology. But what about a Tinker type class? I know there is one in the WarCraft book. But it would be cool if a Tinker type class got a book on its own, like the Psionics Handbook. I think it would be interesting to have a class that uses technology instead of magic.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Gellion said:
I know that a lot of people feel that fantasy should not contain any sort of technology. But what about a Tinker type class? I know there is one in the WarCraft book. But it would be cool if a Tinker type class got a book on its own, like the Psionics Handbook. I think it would be interesting to have a class that uses technology instead of magic.

I agree and in the past have used a non-magical Alchemist class. The Alchemist is one who learns various formula to create potions, salves and powders which have marvelous but mundane effects (like an explosive grenade (fireball) or a potion made from the powdered root of the Mugwort and Griffons blood which causes an adrenaline rush and imbues the drinker with great strength, or even a magnetic repulsion device which allows the user to levitate).

At higher levels the Alchemist learns to use the mystical power crystals to create magical amulets and then goes on to create mechanical constructs and artifacts (like the Device of Kwalish, a spear mounted lightning generator, or a device which rips a hole (gate) between the Planes).

ergeheilalt

First Post
While light on the alchemical side; the Artificer Power Class from Mongoose Publishing sounds like a good idea. It could be tinkered with a bit to give you alchemical bonuses if you really want them; however, the main goal of the Artificer is to be able to create "spell-like effects" via devises.

The Artificer gains spells as per a sorcerer; however, he must craft devices to be able to use them. For example, an NPC Artificer I was running had a gauntlet with two small flasks recessed into a compartment on the side. By twisting a knob and flipping a few switches, the device shot out a fiery stream similar to scorching ray. Being that you're going to be carrying around a lot of devices; there are rules for the weight of a device (1/3 a pound per level IIRC).

In addition to the spell effects; there are a number of special abilities:(Mechanomagical weapons - no pluses, extra damage dice, Mechanomagical armor - DR and str bonus, grafting mechanical body parts, golem crafting, mechanical "wands and staves" if you will; etc.).

Good luck in your search,
Erge

Gellion

First Post
Those both sound cool. But it would be even cooler if there was a base class, that did not use magic at all. And all their items were purely technilogical. Hmmmm maybe when i actually get some money. And find a gaming store. I might check out thet Artificer class you mentioned.

Richards

Legend
Just to throw out the idea, Magic of Faerûn has the gnome artificer prestige class, which has no spellcasting prerequisites other than being able to cast 1st-level arcane spells of the Illusion school (which is probably only in there for "gnomish flavor").

Johnathan

pogre

Legend
TroyXavier said:
I think Warhammer d20 has a Tinker class.

Is that some sort of fan based project? I have never heard of such a creature. I know Hogshead was rebuffed in its efforts to publish WFRP d20 game.

Rand

First Post
jpwic said:
Well I know in Dragonlance there are Tinker Gnomes.. Don't know how they changed that in 3e..

John

Tinker Gnomes devices seldom work as intended though, I'd imagine any hypothetical tinker PC would desire for something they've created to actually work properly.

Zulithe

Explorer
Well, we could always start a Netbook :) I love the idea of a Tinker but aren't intersted in playing in Dragonlance (maybe I will pick up the campaign setting if it has some good related info in this area) If not, I bet Eberron might have something more along these lines.

In the meantime, there are a few good Tinker classes being developed at the officla D&D forums that are pretty good! Here is one http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105996

Remove ads