• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tiny Hut problem

Dzyu

First Post
Hi,
We're having a problem adjudicating what to do about this spell(Tiny Hut) when used in a melee situation for concealment. The problem is that the spell says there's only room for 10 medium-sized creatures, although the actual size of it clearly indicates there's room for alot more, so what happens when more than 10 medium-sized creatures enter?
I'm thinking maybe this sentence: "However, if you remove yourself from the hut, the spell ends." should read: "However, if you remove yourself from the hut, or more than 10 medium-sized creatures are inside it, the spell ends."
OR
This sentence: "As many as nine other Medium creatures can fit into the field with you; they can freely pass into and out of the hut without harming it." should have the additional information: "If the hut is full any other creatures trying to enter the sphere will be held out by a force field." or maybe even "If the hut is full and additional creatures try to enter, the hut will bend away from them and not let them inside." or something like that.
I think the force-field effect is too good for a 3rd lvl spell, obvisouly, but if it ends because too many people try to enter, I think it's too harsh. Imo the part with it bending away to not include anyone trying to enter when it's full seems the most balanced way to make it.

What do you think? Are there any rules coverage on this?

dulsi

Explorer
I think of it as something to protect against the elements than battle so your idea of ending if more than 10 people enter seems reasonable. Since it can't prevent attack from going through the hut I'm not sure that it is really necessary. Especially since a party is not usually big enough to fill the hut. Maybe make it a concentration check to keep the spell together if too many people try to enter. If the check succeeds the person is kept out otherwise the spell ends.

Aluvial

Explorer
Hi,
We're having a problem adjudicating what to do about this spell(Tiny Hut) when used in a melee situation for concealment. The problem is that the spell says there's only room for 10 medium-sized creatures, although the actual size of it clearly indicates there's room for alot more, so what happens when more than 10 medium-sized creatures enter?
I'm thinking maybe this sentence: "However, if you remove yourself from the hut, the spell ends." should read: "However, if you remove yourself from the hut, or more than 10 medium-sized creatures are inside it, the spell ends."
OR
This sentence: "As many as nine other Medium creatures can fit into the field with you; they can freely pass into and out of the hut without harming it." should have the additional information: "If the hut is full any other creatures trying to enter the sphere will be held out by a force field." or maybe even "If the hut is full and additional creatures try to enter, the hut will bend away from them and not let them inside." or something like that.
I think the force-field effect is too good for a 3rd lvl spell, obvisouly, but if it ends because too many people try to enter, I think it's too harsh. Imo the part with it bending away to not include anyone trying to enter when it's full seems the most balanced way to make it.

What do you think? Are there any rules coverage on this?
I had this same problem... Just end the spell if more than 10 try to enter. It is not meant for combat, but will work for concealment in combat. If the badguys follow and more than 10 are in there... pop! the spell ends.

Aluvial

Vegepygmy

First Post
Interestingly, the 1e version of Leomund's tiny hut created a 10-ft. diameter sphere that allowed up to 6 other man-sized creatures. The 2e version bumped the diameter to 15 ft. and allowed up to 7 other man-sized creatures. 3e dramatically increased the sphere's size to a 20-ft. radius, while allowing up to 9 other Medium-sized occupants. (It's possible the authors confused radius and diameter, but even then the capacity appears to be arbitrary.)

In all versions from 1e to 3.5, the spell description is silent as to what exactly happens if the hut's capacity is exceeded. But I would concur with the other posters: the spell should simply end.

Remove ads