Tips and tricks to get rid of writers block

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Always Be Writing. Pick a time of day and just write for 10-15 minutes. Even if it's just a grocery list, a random bunch of words, a letter to yourself, whatever... just the act of writing is sometimes enough to "warm up" and get the thought process going.

Use a Pen. For myself, anyway, the physical act of writing puts my brain into a different area than writing words on a screen. It 'feels' different, like I'm doing something new instead of being on a computer and my brain pays attention.

Make Mistakes. Don't assume your opus will magically create itself the first time you come up with what you think is a great idea. Oftentimes, once you realize where your writing is "going wrong", you'll be able to steer your narrative in a new direction, or new avenues will open up to you. It will be frustrating, but rewarding in the long run.

Don't feel like writing? Get a digital recorder and just go for a walk. Sometimes, unplugging and just getting the body moving puts me into a zen-like state. Without my regular distractions, I'm forced to invent new ways to occupy my time which often unlocks some creative neurons. I find I'm at my most creative when doing dishes, in the tub, or even on a bus... anywhere that interrupts my daily routine.

Do New Things. We often write from our own experiences. If you're not out there doing things outside your own writing desk, you're not getting the full picture of everything you can offer to your readers. Live a little! Meet some new people, go to a new restaurant, or a museum, or take a weekend to yourself and stay in a new town/city. Things you do and learn and feel will be reflected into your future characters.

Janx

Hero
write anyway?

Have an outline. Write material to follow the outline.

Maybe I've never had writer's block. I've never had a problem sitting down and starting to write on the topic I have to get done.

Consider working out your idea for the next chunk of writing while mowing the lawn, etc. So that way, when you get done, you are itching to get it all down on paper, rather than trying to generate ideas AND getting words on paper.

Personally, I write on a computer. My handwriting is terrible, and I've spent the last 30 years generating content on a computer from scratch, so the old ways are crap to me.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Watch a TV show that you wouldn't normally watch, and analyze the daylights out of it.

Throw out your previous chapter and start a completely different one. You'll be subconsciously building on the old one as you write the new one.

PnPgamer

Explorer
Watch a TV show that you wouldn't normally watch, and analyze the daylights out of it.

Throw out your previous chapter and start a completely different one. You'll be subconsciously building on the old one as you write the new one.

Like bold and the beautiful?

Rod Staffwand

aka Ermlaspur Flormbator
Writer's block is essentially a lack of inspiration. You just find everything in your head to be stale, lifeless and predictable. The best thing to do is to shake things up. Change your daily routine and take in new stimuli that you otherwise wouldn't. Go new places. Read/watch/do new things. Expand your worldview. It's the best way to recharge your 'idea tank'.

Korgul79

Explorer
As far as general insights on creativity are concerned, i can do worse than pointing at this conference of former Monty Python John Cleese:[video=youtube;Qby0ed4aVpo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qby0ed4aVpo[/video]

Talking more specificaly about rpg's, I have just two word: random tables! Good random tables. Damn! That's three words.
I use them a lot: I pick a table that gives me some detail of a village, for instance, finding out that is formed from former prisoner and it's coursed by ghots, then roll some random personality traits, goal and relationship for notable inhabitants, and most of the time details starts popping up in my head as i try to put connect the elements together.

Definitely a fan of this. Even if you think it's bad writing, write it. Then, go back to it the next day and see what you can salvage from it and move on. Quality comes from an iterative approach. One day I started to work on a new song for the first time in ages. Hated it at first. Two days later, I sat down and began re-working the piece and now I can’t wait to finish it up.

Switching up your viewing or reading choices can help jog the brain. Variety is always good there.

write anyway?

greyauthor

Explorer
Write very day and for a minimum word count, never deviate from that. Even if you don't feel like it. I find that writers that wait for inspiration never write. Sometimes, writing is just plain work. Sometimes it isn't!

Remove ads