D&D 5E Tips for running White Plume Mountain's final encounter?

Jreilly89

Villager
First off, hello! Apparently my account is a year old, but I don't remember making an account here, so this is my first official post. Looking forward to talking about newer and older D&D content.

So my players are getting ready to finish White Plume Mountain. There's 5 level 8 PCs, as they rescued one of their precious PCs who survived a TPK but was taken prisoner by the Dwarf Vampire.

Rather than the two Efreeti the encounter suggests, I want them to fight Keraptis and some guardians. I'm thinking of making him an Archmage and giving him 1 of each Elemental. If they manage to kill him, he is actually a body double - a wooden mannequin animated to act like Keraptis.

Is this too hard of an encounter? They have a couple +1 weapons each.

Quartz

Hero
An archmage PLUS allies versus five level 8 PCs? Yes, that's far too much as a combat encounter. But as a roleplaying encounter it would be great! Have Keraptis congratulate the PCs. And now he knows who he should hire for future missions! Especially if Keraptis is not Evil.

Jreilly89

Villager
What if I changed the Archmage to a regular Mage? Moves him from a CR 12 to a CR 6.
Side note, how reliable do you feel the CRs are? Sometimes they feel quite off

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Use the elementals as the encounter and Keraptis as window dressing. "He" is an illusion or only present as a magic quote hologram unquote. Have him monologue about the rhyme a little bit, and show some knowledge how the PCs beat all the traps / obstacles. If the PCs get out with their prizes, he reappears briefly at the exit to say "I will come to reclaim what is mine ..." and disappears.

Jreilly89

Villager
Use the elementals as the encounter and Keraptis as window dressing. "He" is an illusion or only present as a magic quote hologram unquote. Have him monologue about the rhyme a little bit, and show some knowledge how the PCs beat all the traps / obstacles. If the PCs get out with their prizes, he reappears briefly at the exit to say "I will come to reclaim what is mine ..." and disappears.

I actually like that a lot. If I keep the Archmage stat block, I can just use Counterspell for spells that target him individually, Invisbility, Time Stop etc. To keep him watching but out of the fight.

Esker

Hero
Presumably it goes without saying that this thread will contain Whiteplume spoilers, but in case that wasn't clear, spoilers lie ahead!

I ran Whiteplume recently as a self-contained adventure (took them 8 or 9 sessions to get through --- my group is extremely thorough) with a group that was usually 6 players. Level 8 as recommended, but I let them do some shopping for magic items ahead of time, making skill checks, etc. and rolling on tables based on their checks, etc. Point is, they got some good stuff and so they were certainly ahead of the normal level 8 power curve, even individually; add to that the fact that there were six of them, and clearly the encounters needed beefing up.

Like you, I thought the climax ought to be a showdown with Keraptis. Wound up being a super fun encounter that really went down to the wire between victory and TPK, but ultimately resulting in their victory; probably the most dramatic fight I've run.

First a little context:

They'd gotten Whelm and Wave, and meticulously fought through every last sea creature in the aquarium (I told you they were thorough), heaing for Blackrazor... Obviously an Oni was not going to be a challenge, so I made Qesnef a 13th level Valor Bard using a custom Death Slaad race. As written, he was being held prisoner, but I had him initially being controlled by Blackrazor, but making saves when he took damage to break free. Wound up rolling really high pretty early on, and so he starts to bolt with Blackrazor... except where's he going to go? Naturally he is stopped on the way out by the efreeti who drag him back toward his prison, and so the PCs wind up facing the efreeti and Qesnef in a three-way fight in the now-drained terrace room. That was also fun.

I wasn't going to have them just face more efreeti, so I decided the end fight was going to be Keraptis. The only place they hadn't been yet was the kayak river loop, so I decided that Keraptis was going to create a portal in the river to his demiplane, which, naturally, was in the form of a library. Played the creepy Willy Wonka river boat scene for them on the way in.

Their kayaks were ejected into the middle of this library, with several big bookshelves on the ground floor, and a 30' high catwalk around the edge, with some of those movable library ladders to get up and down. When they entered, the real Keraptis were invisible up top, but a programmed illusion of him was there to greet them, behind the big desk in the center.

He revealed that the name Keraptis wasn't a person but a designation that had been passed down over the centuries (think Dread Pirate Roberts), and that, as he was getting ready to retire, he wanted to designate one of the PCs as his successor, who would not only inherit ownership of White Plume Mountain, but would also gain all of Keraptis's magical knowledge. All they had to do was fight each other to the death for it; last one standing got everything.

I had him explain that they would have to decide individually (telepathically to him) whether to accept his offer. If they all refused, he would simply kill them himself; but if the decision was not unanimous, they would still have to kill each other, but he would put his thumb on the scales in favor of anyone who entered the fight willingly. Classic Prisoner's Dilemma, in other words.

So then I had the players hide a d6 in their hands, choosing a side to face up, representing their character's decision. I came around and looked at each person's die.

They stuck together; it was them vs. Keraptis.

To show that he had no hard feelings and that it wasn't personal, he had some automatons appear to offer them mysterious purple beverages, one for each person on a tray. I had a table of six effects, all including "the benefits of a short rest" and another effect, two positive, two mixed, and two negative. (The best one was an instant level-up and the benefits of a long rest, one was you regained some spell slots; the mixed ones were a wild magic surge, or gaining a version of a Ghast's Stench feature for ten minutes; the bad ones were being hit by the Blindness spell, or being intoxicated such that your attacks had a one in six chance of hitting yourself instead)

Most of them declined, or poured the drinks on the floor; two drank them and got the "hitting yourself" effect and the Ghast's stench effect.

Then it was combat time.

Keraptis rolled high on initiative, and immediately casts Wish to create a Simulacrum. The real Keraptis and his naked simulacrum appear on the catwalk; meanwhile the Programmed Illusion is still sitting behind the desk.

The party tries to get up to him, and naturally just as the melee characters are closing in (which takes a couple rounds, he uses a legendary action to Thunder Step to the other side of the library. Meanwhile a fireball has ignited the pile of kayaks and injured those who stayed below.

On his next turn he grabs on to the railing of the catwalk and casts Reverse Gravity. He and the characters who made their save are now hanging from the railing, while those who failed are on the ceiling having taken falling damage.

And so on and so forth.

They manage to dispatch with the Simulacrum reasonably quickly (I did not give the simulacrum legendary actions!), but the real Keraptis wears them down, several of them going down multiple times only to be brought back up by the life cleric... But the casters use up most of their spell slots, and everyone is very low on HP... but ultimately Keraptis has to burn through a ton of slots casting Shield, and is down to his last spell slot (which is 5th level). He is planning one last Steel Wind Strike, but is cut down by the Whelm-wielding dwarf paladin just before his turn comes up.

It was awesome.

Esker

Hero
As for building Keraptis, I used a modified version of Halaster from Mad Mage. He's listed as CR 23, which on paper looks way too high for six level 8 characters, but (a) he was solo (not counting the Simulacrum, but that was his 9th level slot), (b) they had good magic items, including the weapons from the dungeon, and (c) they had rested not too long before. I also didn't play him all out to kill: For example, he could easily have had the Simulacrum there from the previous day and used his 9th level slot on Meteor Swarm or something; and when things were looking dire early on, I conveniently "forgot" to fire a mote from his Crown of Stars for a couple rounds.

Still, since it was the end of a self-contained adventure, I was willing to put them at greater risk than I normally would have, and I wasn't sure how it would go. Worked out absolutely perfect, but it might not have.

Anyway, don't get cold feet and give them a boss fight that ends up too easy. It's easier to make the encounter too tough and pull a few punches than it is to beef it up once you find out that they're breezing through.

I would say the encounter as written it too hard. Efreeti (and vampires) are relatively stronger in 5e than in 1st edition, yet this encounter is unchanged. If the players are depleted from the dungeon Nix and Nox can easily achieve TPK.

An archmagi fight is likely to be very swingy - either the mage wins with one spell or he dies in the first round. I generally interpret Keraptis as being a gnome lich in any case.

Possibly go with a simulacrum of Keraptis, that will go down quite easily but at least give the players a sense of a "boss fight"?

Jreilly89

Villager
I would say the encounter as written it too hard. Efreeti (and vampires) are relatively stronger in 5e than in 1st edition, yet this encounter is unchanged. If the players are depleted from the dungeon Nix and Nox can easily achieve TPK.

An archmagi fight is likely to be very swingy - either the mage wins with one spell or he dies in the first round. I generally interpret Keraptis as being a gnome lich in any case.

Possibly go with a simulacrum of Keraptis, that will go down quite easily but at least give the players a sense of a "boss fight"?

Yeah, my PCs struggled with the vampire fight. And the two Efreeti definitely seemed over powered to me.

As someone mentioned above, I think I'll use just the elementals as the fight and have Keraptis as a watcher. Then, I can just use Counterspell for spells that target him individually, Invisbility, Time Stop etc. To keep him watching but out of the fight.

And I agree on the lich. I just had wanted to stat him as a Mage or Archmage A) out of laziness and B) because this is a "lesser" Keraptis, not the true one.

Remove ads