D&D General To me, paladins are not gloryhounds

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
In that they use their strength wisely;
So, paladins ===> str x Wis

So who does behave like a gloryhounds ?
A class whose name is courtisan ( perhaps called courtier in English )

Courtisan ===> str x cha

:)

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
When have paladins been depicted as ‘showboating’? None that I’m intimately familiar with, the paladin’s use of CHA is typically depicted as force of personality, and for that matter I don’t think their WIS is ‘fighting smart’ so much as it does their spiritual enlightenment and mental fortitude.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Other than the Oath of Glory, there's nothing in the rules that pushes paladins to act like gloryhounds.

That said, there are plenty of examples of knights in history, legend and fiction of them wanting fame and glory. The Grail Quest, for many of the knights, was about getting glory for themselves. Percival succeeded where others failed in part because he wasn't interested in such things.

In any case, I don't think paladins -- even traditional Lawful Good ones -- should all behave identically. Sir Galahad and Uther Lightbringer are both Lawful Good paladins, but no one would confuse one for the other.

le Redoutable

When have paladins been depicted as ‘showboating’? None that I’m intimately familiar with, the paladin’s use of CHA is typically depicted as force of personality, and for that matter I don’t think their WIS is ‘fighting smart’ so much as it does their spiritual enlightenment and mental fortitude.
Yes it is located in 1st Ed UA Cavalier where they like beautiful armour ( or the like)

le Redoutable

Note that smart is not wise ;)

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Yes it is located in 1st Ed UA Cavalier where they like beautiful armour ( or the like)
1st edition? Then surely by the fact that you need to reach so far back to an apparently one-time trait that hasn’t reoccured since implies that showboating isn’t a significant or even minor facet of the current paladin concept and hasn’t been such for a while. (I am not a lore expert I barely know 5e lore, correct me if I’m wrong here and the trait has been reoccurring)
Note that smart is not wise ;)
I never said it was, I only mentioned paladins being wise/spiritual as opposed to ‘fighting smart’ as I thought paladins fighting smart is what you were saying with this initial line
In that they use their strength wisely;
So, paladins ===> str x Wis

Last edited:

Remove ads