D&D General To me, paladins are not gloryhounds

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
Other than the Oath of Glory, there's nothing in the rules that pushes paladins to act like gloryhounds.

That said, there are plenty of examples of knights in history, legend and fiction of them wanting fame and glory. The Grail Quest, for many of the knights, was about getting glory for themselves. Percival succeeded where others failed in part because he wasn't interested in such things.

In any case, I don't think paladins -- even traditional Lawful Good ones -- should all behave identically. Sir Galahad tand Uther Lightbringer are both Lawful Good paladins, but no one would confuse one for the other.
In the system I wish to implement you mix three compatible classes, each combining two stats, so if one class is str x wis , then the other two may be dex x Con and cha x int, or Dex x cha and Con x int , or Dex x int and Con x cha .

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
So who does behave like a gloryhounds ?
If any class? IMO bards, but this is much more a character trait than a class trait
Now, is the combo Dex x Wis a relative of chess-player ( moving pieces wisely )
Traditionally this combo is for the Monk ...
DEX x WIS fits monk pretty well I’d say, having the observational skills to notice opportunities to attack plus the precise and quick physical reactions to strike in those openings,
A chessmaster on the other hand seems to me like they would be INT x WIS, having an education of tactics and strategy and the wisdom to properly apply those correctly as well as observing and reacting to the board/battlefield in realtime, I’m unclear if you mean an actual chess player here or the mastermind ‘chessmaster’ archetype but moving chess pieces doesn’t really require excessive dexterity and the mastermind version doesn’t physically manipulate their allies into position either so DEX is a moot point for both
If we go that way, then
Brutes ===> str x Dex ( the art of moving dumbbells )
Brute i would assign STR x CON, barbarian basically, hit hard and take hard hits, that’s not a style that requires finesse, ones that does do STR x DEX in my mind would be a lancer/spearmaster/cavalry, powerful but precise strikes with an awkward weapon
Presumably the illusionist uses Int x Con
Illusionist I’d put as INT x CHA, int for complex and detailed illusions and cha for trickery
INT x CON id have as the current sorcerer idea, someone who channels magic from/through their own body and the smarts to manipulate it properly
Humbleness relates the link in between Wis and Cha;
So what class uses humbleness?
Err,,, something like the paladin
Yeah WIS x CHA is probably my preferred pair for paladin, make their strength and defences less about the muscle swinging the giant weapon and wearing the heavy armour and more about the divine powers being imbued into the weapon and the gods protection/the paladins mental fortitude/force of personality and how they inspire their allies.

Edit: I never properly answered the STR x CHA class so to answer that i could see a boxer archetype, a physical fighter focusing on a face-heel presentation deal, some knights would fall into the same archetype but paladins focus more on other traits and you don’t want to overload on very thematically similar classes, fighter, knight, brute, lancer, paladin...

Last edited:

le Redoutable

1st edition? Then surely by the fact that you need to reach so far back to an apparently one-time trait that hasn’t reoccured since implies that showboating isn’t a significant or even minor facet of the current paladin concept and hasn’t been such for a while. (I am not a lore expert I barely know 5e lore, correct me if I’m wrong here and the trait has been reoccurring)

I never said it was, I only mentioned paladins being wise/spiritual as opposed to ‘fighting smart’ as I thought paladins fighting smart is what you were saying with this initial line
Euuuh it's called etiquette:)

le Redoutable

If any class? IMO bards, but this is much more a character trait than a class trait

DEX x WIS fits monk pretty well I’d say, having the observational skills to notice opportunities to attack plus the precise and quick physical reactions to strike in those openings,
A chessmaster on the other hand seems to me like they would be INT x WIS, having an education of tactics and strategy and the wisdom to properly apply those correctly as well as observing and reacting to the board/battlefield in realtime, I’m unclear if you mean an actual chess player here or the mastermind ‘chessmaster’ archetype but moving chess pieces doesn’t really require excessive dexterity and the mastermind version doesn’t physically manipulate their allies into position either so DEX is a moot point for both
Int x Wis could behave a class named the Ruler ( but i don't know what skills or abilities he would bring with )
' Rule with Reason and Smartness '
note that sometimes the Rulers lie within small villages where they deal ( what ? bizness ? ) ...
not to confound with Int x Cha that i call the Merchant
( ADOM uses a Merchant class i think )

Staffan

Legend
Yeah WIS x CHA is probably my preferred pair for paladin, make their strength and defences less about the muscle swinging the giant weapon and wearing the heavy armour and more about the divine powers being imbued into the weapon and the gods protection/the paladins mental fortitude/force of personality and how they inspire their allies.
Wis + Cha seems more of a cleric thing. Wisdom to be in tune with the universe, and Charisma both for preaching and for staying in your deity's good graces.

As for paladins... I would not call them "glory hounds", but more "role models". They are supposed to lead by example, and that necessitates Charisma. Think Captain America.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases