TOA: Camp Vengeance/Apocalypse Now

Uller

Adventurer
My players (13th level) are arriving at Camp Vengeance in our next game (playing tomorrow).

I'm going to try to really play up the Apocalypse Now feel of the place. They will arrive near nightfall. Along with the corpses from waves of undead attacks the PCs will find some non-undead natives tied up (or even crucified) outside the walls. Breakbone's (Kurtz's) men will be engaged in a running battle with unseen (but heard) undead and hags. A cleric will be offering "flares" while soldiers launch ranged attacks at their unseen enemies until one of them launches some kind of fireball that lights the jungle on fire and then stares blankly and walks away as if nothing happened....all the while a few soldiers in the camp will be playing music and gambling (and smoking something) like nothing of any interest was happening.

When they meet Breakbone, he and his lieutenants will be planning a mission out into the jungle. But rather than going after undead they are going to be going after a village of Grung that they believe are in league with the undead with the intentions of murdering them all. The truth behind it all is a coven of night hags (not just one green hag) from Mbala is making nightly visits to the camp to drive its leadership insane while luring waves of undead to attack.

My players are hoping to arrive at Camp Vengeance to find a place safe enough for a long rest (I don't allow long rests except in established camps or they have to take 24 hours). They are low on spells and HD...they will want to rest. They have a permanent Protection from Evil going in a 30' radius so the hags will have trouble getting at them but they will still find rest difficult and Breakbone will order them to go kill the Grung. They may just leave....the Paladin may try to arrest Breakbone....who knows.

Any other ideas on how I can play up that theme?

"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving."

Uller

Adventurer
They ended up using detect thoughts on Breakbone and learned his plans so the Paladin ordered Ord and Perne to arrest him. "You have no right to judge me...". The paladin scored a crit on him then the warlock scored TWO crits with eldritch blast. So it got a little messy...

With Breakbone dead, the templars have decided to pull up stakes and head for Port Nyanzaru. The party gave them their keel boats and have decided to walk to where the Shield Guardian is and then attempt to teleport straight to Omu...

Capture.PNG

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
It's been so long since I saw Apocalypse Now, all I remember was meaningless-but-frantic activity in the dark of night, a bunch of guys lining the walls of a fort yelling "go back - stay away", and somebody using torches instead of electric light.

If you wanted to infuse the plot with a Horror theme ... that movie would do it.

Remove ads