D&D 5E Tomb of Annihilation campaign recaps

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
HI all,

here is my final recap. I totally thought it was going to be a TPK at the start and it just seemed to get worse and worse for the players. This was one of the single most fun encounters I have ever run as a DM.

Nebulous

Legend
HI all,

here is my final recap. I totally thought it was going to be a TPK at the start and it just seemed to get worse and worse for the players. This was one of the single most fun encounters I have ever run as a DM.

Nice. So Artus is dead. What are you going to do with them in the next Xendrik arc, is it homebrew?

My group wants to try something else in Roll20, which I've never used. Probably Forge of Fury. It doesn't look like we will ever return to Tomb of Annihilation, which somewhat disappoints me. Although I greatly enjoyed everything up to where we stopped. I felt that Omu was the highlight, I loved every bit of that.

I actually have Fantasy Grounds Ultimate AND Roll20, so I will have to tinker with both. I need some handholding though, it will be slow going at first for me.

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
Next campaign will be homebrew in Eberron, but with new level 1 characters. I also don't have a plan - I'm waiting for the players to create characters so we can see what threads the backgrounds bring up. They have decided that they want to work for a criminal organisation, so it will be a Boromir Clan campaign. I feel the next campaign will be much more episodic in the early levels and much more about following the desires of the players.

I have a hankering to play a campaign based around one location. ToA was excellent, but there was never any real stopping anywhere. Time to change it up a bit.

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
Also - I never expected Artus to die. I thought he would be rescued and reveal that Acererak has taken the ring of winter. But where is the ring now? Who did Acererak trade it with? And for what?

But no - Acererak Artus got killed by Rutgar while in the sack and they never even opened the sack to see who was there.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Legend
Also - I never expected Artus to die. I thought he would be rescued and reveal that Acererak has taken the ring of winter. But where is the ring now? Who did Acererak trade it with? And for what?

But no - Acererak got killed by Rutgar while in the sack and they never even opened the sack to see who was there.
You mean Artus got killed ;)

MY Artus was frozen by the Ring of Winter at the bottom of Wyrmheart Mine after dying from a dragon, so he was in a kind of state of suspended animation so the Soulmonger wouldn't rip his soul away. The ice kept growing, so there was many yards of ice between him, the ring, and any potential rescuer.

Nebulous

Legend
And we had JUST got to the cool part with the Trickster Gods, I was looking forward to seeing how that all played out. Maybe one day we can get back to it via Fantasy Grounds.

sim-h

Explorer
I've returned to this campaign using Roll20, after we switched campaign for the face to face game for a while to Avernus. About to do session 31. The party are still not in the Tomb yet (Shagambi's shrine took three attempts...). Mainly posting here to note that because they were captured by Yuan-Ti early in their Omu explorations, and Ras Nsi was killed in Fenthaza's coup off-camera to the PCs, I'm having to ad lib the 'last cube' bit. Red Wizards have two cubes, the players are about to confront the Froghemoth, and the final cube is Moa's.

My plan is to have the players track down the Red Wizards to get cubes 7 and 8 together in a big fight with two wizards and some thugs. Cube 9 (Moa's) they will spy a red wizard flying off the spur of rock on which the shrine stands. Hopefully they follow or get to see as the King of Feathers plucks him out of the air and eats him. Otherwise they find the body and the dinosaur tracks...

They then have to seek out the King of Feathers at the amphitheatre (they know where it is and were avoiding it). They'll recover the last cube that way (the remains of the body strewn about the lair) so at least there is some sort of climax that doesn't involve endless plodding battles vs. Yuan Ti (we had about 4 sessions worth earlier).

Hopefully this works out! Anybody else have the issue with Ras Nsi not being around to steal the last cube?

Nebulous

Legend
I've thought about returning to it as well and finishing on Roll20. Too bad I have to buy the whole thing just for the last 1/4 of it though.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases