• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tomb of Annihilation Possible mid/high level PC hook?

Uller

Adventurer
My players PCs are about to finish Curse of Strahd (or Strahd is about to finish them). They will be 13th level after it is over.

I just got Tomb of Annihilation and am considering it for their next adventure. I can amp it up a bit and take away or reduce the benefit the trickster gods can convey to make it more inline with PCs of that level.

The reason I'm think this is because it actually has a really good plot hook for my PCs. They've been to Ravenloft. At least one of them has been raised from the dead at one point or another (I think two actually have but I can't remember). But I'm thinking there is no reason that just the fact that they've been to Ravenloft and back could mean that they are subject to the Soulmonger...So...they maybe 13th level and have some may 100+ hp...but start losing an hp per day and things could get interesting fast. I'm thinking just have them arrive in Port Nyanzaru but with info that the key to their curse can be found in Omu. All they'd need to do is get a guide to get them there and they can smash through chapters 3 and 4 quickly but by they time they get to chapter 5 their HP might be getting a bit low...They can fly/teleport around so it shouldn't be too low.

My only problem is that we are about to add a player...not sure how I can explain him being afflicted. Right now that player is playing through Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, which I set in Chult so maybe something will come up there to explain it....

Too harsh?

Valmarius

First Post
Easiest fix I can see: The new player uncovers the location of Omu during their exploration of the lost Shrine.
That way the rest of the party shows up, is afflicted by the curse, and hires to new player as their guide to the lost city. New PC isn't afflicted, but the rest of the party needs their help.

Other than that, run it as is. You'll likely skip most (if not all) of chapters 1 and 2 and trek straight towards Omu.

Remove ads