• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tomb of horrors and return..

PrinceZane

First Post
Hi,

I've never ran across or seen the infamous Tomb quest(s), but if my memory serves me right, it's 2E. We play in 3.5, and I was curious if anyone had a copy of a 3.5 converted edition or maybe how to convert it if its not too terribly complex... (again with the haven't seen the quest, I'm sure it IS complex though)

glass

(he, him)
Original was 1e (I think). Return... was definitely 2e and included an (updated) version of the original adventure as well.

Don't know about a conversion. Have you checked the conversions forum?

glass.

glass

(he, him)
PrinceZane said:
Aye, I did. I got the addendums and such, but I don't have the "meat" of it. Just the traps, which monster to use instead, etc.

I don't think ToH is particularly NPC intereaction heavy ( :D ), and the maps, handouts, etc will be the same. What more is their to convert?

glass.

dcollins

Explorer
PrinceZane said:
I've never ran across or seen the infamous Tomb quest(s), but if my memory serves me right, it's 2E. We play in 3.5, and I was curious if anyone had a copy of a 3.5 converted edition or maybe how to convert it if its not too terribly complex... (again with the haven't seen the quest, I'm sure it IS complex though)

As stated above, "S1: Tomb of Horrors" is 1st Ed., "Return to the Tomb of Horrors" is 2nd Ed.

There is an excellent conversion in ENWorld's conversion library (and I wrote the optional Addendum that is there): http://www.enworld.org/downloads/index.php?cid=9

If you're looking for a download of the entire adventure text, keep in mind that that is prohibited by copyright law. WOTC does allow us to create conversion documents of the bare minimum of statistics needed to run an adventure under current rules. You can purchase the original adventure from RPGNow for about $5:
http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=1095&
http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=1514&

the Jester

Legend
I ran a really fun nigh-epic and into the low epic levels conversion of RttToH. You have to be willing to be a ruthless killer dm if you want to run the thing right. It was tons of fun.

I based my CRs off the winter-wight in the ELH and the demilich in there (CRs are 23 and 26, respectively). Here are some stats- my players, don't follow that link, please.

Edit: for that matter, here is a link to the story hour that describes the party's journey into (and through) Acererak's gauntlet. By god, I'm a mean bastard of a dm, but they came through it all with flying colors! :D

Right, took a minute to find it but here's the story hour link.

Last edited:

PrinceZane

First Post
Oh yeah... copywrite laws... Blast! Foiled again.

I actually ran into a guy that has ToH he let me borrow it to read through, still looking around for Return...

I noticed that ToH is AD&D 1.0... I've never piddled at AD&D at all, how much different is it than regular 3.5e, and is it even possible to convert from 1.0 AD&D to 3.5D&D?

dcollins

Explorer
glass said:
I believe Return... includes a copy of the orignal adventure also, in which case there isn't a lot of point in orderering the original on its own.

Good point, although in my experience "compendium" adventures tend to have significant edits or deletions from the original material. I remember getting a bit burned that way with the B1-9 and S1-4 compendiums. Might be the case here, or maybe not.

Henry

Autoexreginated
PrinceZane said:
I noticed that ToH is AD&D 1.0... I've never piddled at AD&D at all, how much different is it than regular 3.5e, and is it even possible to convert from 1.0 AD&D to 3.5D&D?

Possible, but difficult, especially if you have no 1E experience. Many monsters are VERY different challenges respectively, and numbers of encounters occur with less frequency in newer modules, so a challenge for 10th to 14th level characters in AD&D can be a challenge for 20th level characters in 3E.

What I would do? thoroughly assimilate the 1E adventure, noting all monsters and traps; then, use your 3E experience to gauge them against a party of 12th level PCs in 3E. If you're pretty sure that the creatures listed will obliterate your party, then you may want to alter it a bit.

WARNING: ALL Tombs of Horrors were meant to be character-crushers. Against the average D&D player not used to such careful play, these will grind up PCs and spit them out before they face the first living critter. Scratch that - there won't be anything to spit out. : :uhoh:

If you play it this way, let the Players know that it's possibly more dangerous than anything they've encountered, and they need to step up their game. Otherwise, plan to alter heavily.

That said, I'll move this to conversions forum.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads