[Tome Of Battle] Swordsage: Why do they get Sense Magic at 7th level? and what would be a good replacement?

Uchiha_Arthas

First Post
Looking back at some of my old characters that I intend to ressurect for a new game I was struck by the Swordsage ability to "Sense Magic" (basically identify magic items) at 7th level.

Does anyone have any idea as to why the Swordsage has such an ability? It just doesn't make any real sense for the class and I don't recall ever using it myself.

More importantly does anyone have a suggestion as to what would be a good replacement for it at at that level?

PigKnight

First Post
You aren't supposed to know the enchantments or that an item is magical without identifying it. Sense Magic makes sense in a way that as a 7th level swordsage you've handled a few magic weapons in your time so you can tell by experience and instinct that a weapon or armor is magical and what it does. An alternative class feature could be Craft Magic Arms and Armor as a bonus feat allowing the Initiator level in place of caster level for weapon bonuses.

Uchiha_Arthas

First Post
You aren't supposed to know the enchantments or that an item is magical without identifying it. Sense Magic makes sense in a way that as a 7th level swordsage you've handled a few magic weapons in your time so you can tell by experience and instinct that a weapon or armor is magical and what it does. An alternative class feature could be Craft Magic Arms and Armor as a bonus feat allowing the Initiator level in place of caster level for weapon bonuses.

Problem with that in my view is what you said could just as easily be applied to practically any other class. I just do not understand a Martial Class got such an ability. Heck it'd make more sense if a Gish class or prc got such an ability.

That being said do you think just giving an Extra Feat (drawn from Warblade feat list) or possibly an ability like Uncanny Dodge would make sense as a substitute?

Cyclone_Joker

First Post
Does anyone have any idea as to why the Swordsage has such an ability? It just doesn't make any real sense for the class and I don't recall ever using it myself.
A swordsage, a practitioner of supernatural martial arts, has a feel of the flow of magic.
More importantly does anyone have a suggestion as to what would be a good replacement for it at at that level?
None. It's a very useful ability, and removing it will poke a few holes in many parties. I recommend keeping it.

PigKnight

First Post
Problem with that in my view is what you said could just as easily be applied to practically any other class. I just do not understand a Martial Class got such an ability. Heck it'd make more sense if a Gish class or prc got such an ability.
Swordsages as opposed to a barbarian or even a warblade have a sense of understanding to the supernatural; Desert Wind and Shadow Hand are the only martial schools that have supernatural powers where the user is directly manipulating supernatural forces. Whereas Wizards, Warlocks and Sorcerers can identify and detect magic through magic the swordsage can senses magic through a sort of intuition and supernatural understanding.

That being said do you think just giving an Extra Feat (drawn from Warblade feat list) or possibly an ability like Uncanny Dodge would make sense as a substitute?
Giving the swordsage an extra feat or ability that is germaine to combat will increase his power. Furthermore, at 7th level he's gaining 4th level maneuvers. He doesn't need combat goodies.

Ragmon

Explorer
I would say keep it.

Why? Well cause The SwordSage as I see is a monk with weapons and monks get interesting Supernatural abilities that no one can really explain.
Just imagine the swordsage sitting down with a magical sword and meditating, reading the magical energy of the sword. They learn to create magical effects with weapons, you can check out the disciplines the swordsage receives, the ones that are restricted to the swordsage are mostly supernatural.

So, again, keep it, fits the class perfectly.

As mentioned, the class is more in tune with the ebb and flow of magic so getting an ability to sense certain magical things is right in line with their kit. And do note the swordsage isn't so martial overall. After all, they've only got a cleric's BAB, not a fighter's like the crusader or warblade.

If you must get rid of it, I'd recommend giving them the Adaptive Style feat somewhere in there or as [MENTION=54362]Fusilliban[/MENTION] does give the Scribe Martial Script feat.

Remove ads