• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tome of the North Wind

I'm looking at the Tome of the North Wind and trying to figure out how it works as a level 3 treasure: the description says that it provides its user two daily cold spells of the item's level or lower. But I'm only seeing one daily cold spell for wizards at level 3 or lower: Freezing Cloud. Am I missing something, or does the fault lie in the Tome of the North Wind?

CAFRedblade

Explorer
It would seem to be currently lacking. I just checked the DDI compendium and found no extra Cold Based Daily powers beyond Freezing Cloud. Until another cold based Daily comes along, that side of things is definitely short changed. Maybe allow an extra cold encounter power in replacement until a new cold based Daily comes along?

CapnZapp

Legend
That does seem to be a real oopsie.

(I can totally see the designer forgetting to check a detail like this)

I believe the easiest solution is simply to drop the +1 version of this tome; to simply start it off as an 8th level treasure instead.

Assuming there are two cold powers reasonably close to eight level, of course! The design of these tomes really count on the fact that wizards get a selection of two [insert damage type here] powers at each level of dailies. If you only get one, the other one will have to be a power of much lower level, which reduces the usefulness of the item (unintentionally so, I would guess).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads