D&D 5E Too Few Player Options During Combat?

Filthy Lucre

Adventurer
Howdy All,

Has anyone else found that player's don't really have all that many meaningful or interesting options/abilities during combat? (Obviously setting aside full time caster types). When COVID finally blows over I want to get back into in-person DMing but I can't help but feel like combat in 5e is way too 'bleh' and static.

Does anyone else feel this way? Has anyone else found a solution if they indeed see it as a problem?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Given that a player can have their character attempt anything he or she can imagine, I don't really see how the players are lacking for things to do. That they may constrain themselves to certain options is really just their choice, so it's their fault, not the game's. Of course, those self-imposed constraints may well be in response to a DM who doesn't make non-standardized options very effective in context.

Filthy Lucre

Adventurer
Given that a player have their character can attempt anything he or she can imagine, I don't really see how the players are lacking for things to do. That they may constrain themselves to certain options is really just their choice, so it's their fault, not the game's. Of course, those self-imposed constraints may well be in response to a DM who doesn't make non-standardized options very effective in context.
I mean, you're technically right, but what I mean is I don't have any core or published rules to adjudicate special situations or maneuvers. For example, the ranger in my game can't shoot someone in the leg to hobble them without me coming up with a ruling on the spot.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I mean, you're technically right, but what I mean is I don't have any core or published rules to adjudicate special situations or maneuvers. For example, the ranger in my game can't shoot someone in the leg to hobble them without me coming up with a ruling on the spot.
That's part of the role of the DM though - make a ruling as needed. That ruling could well be "you hit them in the leg, but it has no appreciable impact on their speed as they try to get away. What do you do?"

Filthy Lucre

Adventurer
(Then come up with a ruling on the spot)

Or use some of the optional rules, or any one of the third party martial maneuvres rulesets. Or just give all your fighters a couple battlemaster maneuvers, or a feat or two for free?
1.) I personally don't use, and have never used, any 3PP because I find their quality, in general, falls well below WotC
2.) If I'm making up rules on the spot, then the game has become too narrative for my players and the question immediately becomes why have any rules at all.

the Jester

Legend
Because D&D has a long history of called shot mechanics that always prove terrible and extremely exploitable. You want to stop an enemy from moving, you have two options in the core that are available to anyone- either grapple them or reduce them to 0 hps. After all, "you can't get away" is basically "you've been defeated" when a party of adventurers is clustered around banging on you.

Filthy Lucre

Adventurer
Because D&D has a long history of called shot mechanics that always prove terrible and extremely exploitable. You want to stop an enemy from moving, you have two options in the core that are available to anyone- either grapple them or reduce them to 0 hps. After all, "you can't get away" is basically "you've been defeated" when a party of adventurers is clustered around banging on you.
It was just an example off the top of my head, not the specific problem in question, so your comment isn't really on topic.

Remove ads