D&D 5E Too Few Player Options During Combat?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Are you utilizing non-Attack combat actions like Dodge, Disengage, Dash, and Help? Granted, these other actions add the most interest if you're fighting in a team, and not as an individual.

Fighting becomes more interesting when defending uses an action - you might try house-ruling that in.

Filthy Lucre

Adventurer
Are you utilizing non-Attack combat actions like Dodge, Disengage, Dash, and Help? Granted, these other actions add the most interest if you're fighting in a team, and not as an individual.

Fighting becomes more interesting when defending uses an action - you might try house-ruling that in.
I think the implicit answer coming from the forum right now is that there isn't a core solution to my problem and I need to pray that 6th edition has more complex rules.

Bravesteel25

Baronet of Gaming
1.) I personally don't use, and have never used, any 3PP because I find their quality, in general, falls well below WotC
2.) If I'm making up rules on the spot, then the game has become too narrative for my players and the question immediately becomes why have any rules at all.
1. I think you are selling 3PP material, including the Dungeon Masters Guild, a little short here. There is a lot of good stuff available that is at the same level as WoTC's efforts. If what you really mean is that there is so much that it is time consuming to wade through the chaff to find the gems then I agree with you.*

2. I'm not really sure what to say to that except that D&D 5E has very much come back to the default idea of Rulings over Rules. Your group might be better served by Pathfinder 2E (great crunchy system) or even Rolemaster if you aren't willing to venture afield for 3PP content.

*That's why I had started The Jilted Quill thread here several years ago to try and spotlight some quality DMs Guild products, but it didn't last long (like two weeks) due to IRL reasons.

Filthy Lucre

Adventurer
1. I think you are selling 3PP material, including the Dungeon Masters Guild, a little short here. There is a lot of good stuff available that is at the same level as WoTC's efforts. If what you really mean is that there is so much that it is time consuming to wade through the chaff to find the gems then I agree with you.*
2. I'm not really sure what to say to that except that D&D 5E has very much come back to the default idea of Rulings over Rules. Your group might be better served by Pathfinder 2E (great crunchy system) or even Rolemaster if you aren't willing to venture afield for 3PP content.

*That's why I had started The Jilted Quill thread here several years ago to try and spotlight some quality DMs Guild products, but it didn't last long (like two weeks) due to IRL reasons.
Ya my group is very much a "consult to rules first" type of group. My job as DM is only really to arbitrate those rules or to make formal interpretations.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Agreed. I recently played in a PF2e game and there's a rule for practically everything.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Whether you like the system or not, would you say that it's a good/engaging system?
I'm sure it would appeal to particular kinds of players and GMs. The combats seemed faster than D&D 4e. I don't have enough experience with it to give an objective analysis.

Bravesteel25

Baronet of Gaming
Ya my group is very much a "consult to rules first" type of group. My job as DM is only really to arbitrate those rules or to make formal interpretations.
I think Pathfinder 2E might just fit your group much better. I love PF2, I think it is a great system, I just prefer to start from 5E and add rules/rulings to it rather than start from PF2 and subtract things from it.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Incentivize using terrain/surroundings as part of the combat. Leaping over things, running and sliding under things, knocking things over, etc can make things really fun. Describe the surroundings with just enough detail to get imaginations going, and grant advantage or Inspiration when players do creative things.

A good image or two of a location - it doesn't have to match exactly the dimensions or whatever of the location - can go a long way toward getting people thinking.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases