D&D 5E Top sellers on DM's Guild, Categorized

J-H

Hero
The recent posting of my first time selling anything got me curious. I did some quick categorizing of the top-selling items on DM's Guild. I used their "metal" system, and kept it to a reasonable count by only looking at the Adamantine and Mithral items, which represent some multiple of thousands in sales.

My numbers may be slightly off, as this was a manual count based on the title+cover of each item, or the description if I clicked through because I wasn't sure.

CategoryCount% Total
Adventure4434%
Adventure Expansions118%
Class54%
Subclass/Backgrounds/Feats1310%
Guide54%
Setting22%
Items65%
Crafting22%
Spells/Diseases/etc.32%
DM Resources1310%
Monsters97%
Races54%
Other86%
NPCs22%
Pseudo-PHB (races+classes+spells+etc.)32%
A number of these items, such as the CR-originated Blood Hunter class, are PWYW. I perhaps should have skipped the PWYW items to get a better perspective on what actually brings in dollars. Some old blog posts I found indicate that PWYW items generate revenue on 5-20% of sales.

Obviously adventures dominate, but beyond that, player options (race+class+subclass+pseudo-PHB) collectively are much more popular than DMing tools, settings, monsters, items, diseases, etc.

I was surprised to find only one book of spells. I suspect that it's easier to get DM buy-in on a 2-page class/subclass or race than it is on a list of 20-40 spells that all have to be individually reviewed and then remembered later.

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
Good to know, and thanks for posting this. I've been thinking of writing products for the DM's Guild for some time now, and those numbers are worth keeping in the back of one's mind (even if not 100% accurate).

Remove ads