• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Top Ten SF&F novels of the decade

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
#'s 2, 3, 6, and 9 for me.

I positively adore American Gods, can't quite figure out why I don't like Name of the Wind, love all of the Game of Thrones, and find Sanderson's non-WoT books to be complete trash.

Re: Sanderson - I only started reading him once I found out he was finishing WoT. I wish I'd just remained ignorant of his other work. His original stuff just feels amateurish to me, and I don't quite know why.

catsclaw227

First Post
I read 2, 6, 10 as well. :)

I really liked American Gods, and of course I enjoy the G.R.R. Martin stuff. Though, admitedly, A Feast for Crows didn't grab me like the first three.

I had a fellow gamer and English major recomment George R. R. Martin. He even loaned me the first book in the series.

I got about 100 pages into it and returned the book. Sure the writing is very sophisticated so the English major could gush over it but in 100 pages I did not find a single character I liked or cared about.

Of course the English major said the book and its characters were "deeper and more complex" than that. But if I dont like anyone I am reading about then sorry I am not going to read them.

None of the other books ring any bells to me. Years ago I bailed from sci-fi fantasy novels for history. The only actual material of the genre I have read are the classic Conan short stories.

Richards

Legend
Of those on the list, I've only read American Gods and Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell and enjoyed both of them very much (despite the "oddball" spelling of Mr. Strange's first name). :)

Johnathan

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Didn't particularly enjoy American Gods.

Haven't read any of the others yet, although I plan to read Game of Thrones and Perdido Street Station

Starman

Adventurer
I had a fellow gamer and English major recomment George R. R. Martin. He even loaned me the first book in the series.

I got about 100 pages into it and returned the book. Sure the writing is very sophisticated so the English major could gush over it but in 100 pages I did not find a single character I liked or cared about.

Of course the English major said the book and its characters were "deeper and more complex" than that. But if I dont like anyone I am reading about then sorry I am not going to read them.

You had to like Hodor. He was a gentle giant with a giant (hehe) vocabulary!

Jhaelen

First Post
1. Old Man’s War by John Scalzi - 295 votes
2. American Gods by Neil Gaiman - 270 votes
3. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - 231 votes
4. Blindsight by Peter Watts - 221 votes
5. Kushiel’s Dart by Jacqueline Carey - 194 votes
6. A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin - 179 votes
7. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke - 167 votes
8. Anathem by Neal Stephenson - 141 votes
9. Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson - 125 votes
10. Perdido Street Station by China Mieville - 124 votes
I read 2, 7, and 10. I already bought 6 and 8.
I've heard good things about 3, and Amazon keeps suggesting 1 to me, so maybe I'll look into them, too, eventually.

My favorite among the bunch is definitely 7.

It's an interesting list but with a pretty small number of votes, so it's hardly representative.

Crothian

First Post
It's an interesting list but with a pretty small number of votes, so it's hardly representative.

Not necessarily. It depends on how they did it and one can take that information and do an analysis to determine the accuracy of the poll. It is just statistics.

Starman

Adventurer
Can you give a quick synopsis, rating of the ones you think are worth reading?
pretty pretty please??

For those I have read:

2- American Gods - I found it thoroughly enjoyable, but I can see where others might not be as excited. It's a modern fantasy with a heavy influence from tales of mythology and gods. The main character, Shadow, can sometimes be hard to empathize with because there are times he comes off with very little charisma. All in all, though, I liked it.

3- The Name of the Wind - This is much closer to typical fantasy. With bizarre things happening in the background, an odd innkeeper starts telling stories of his youth. He is a very winning character despite his incredible prowess at everything he does mostly because he still manages to screw things up despite his near-superhuman skill set and the fact that you, the reader, are never quite sure how much he is embellishing. The characters are superb. The world is rich. Highly recommended.

6- A Storm of Swords - Be forewarned that this is the third book in a planned series of seven. Book five only just got a release date after waiting nearly six years since the previous book. It's typically regarded as the best book in the series. It's fairly typical fantasy, but magic is very low-key and the story is truly gritty. If you like heroes that just get a few scrapes and bruises, but in the end manage to triumph; skip this book. If you like the good guys to win and not die, skip this book. If you don't like harsh language, graphic violence, and good people regularly getting sh*t on; skip this book. I'm just warning you it's dark and not the kinda-sorta-wannabe kind. Life is harsh, brutal, and short in these books. If you can stomach that, you are in for one of the best series of books ever written.

7- Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell - Do you like elaborate world-building? Do you like pseudo-alternate history? Do you like long, meandering stories that can take a long time to get to where they are going? Do you like magic? Do you like Napoleonic England? If you answered 'yes' to most of those, then you will probably like this book. Clarke has created a very deep history of her alternate-England and it shines through in the discussions the characters have and especially the footnotes scattered throughout. A quote that perhaps best sums up the feel of the book is what Jonathan Strange says when asked if a magician could kill a man. "I suppose a magician might, but a gentleman never could." Highly recommended.

10- Perdido Street Station - Mieville isn't the biggest fan of Tolkien-inspired fantasy, so his fantasy tale is a far cry from the "typical" fantasy novel. It's set in a grim urban fantasy city full of cactus-people and bug-people. When a creature is set loose that even devils refuse to deal with, you know the characters are in for a tough road. The primary story is a horror story, a "bug hunt," but Mieville sprinkles in a lot of things about philosophy and politics. Some go for it, others don't. His world-building is off-the-charts cool and very inspirational. The story is awesome, but in some ways lesser than the world it is in. Highly recommended, though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads