Torchbearer

Thor

Explorer
Sure. It's actually both. When the players describe their actions, the GM has two options:
1. First, the GM can decide that the players have come up with a Good Idea. If the GM decides the players have come up with a smart approach to a problem--a smart use of their gear, spells or bodies--he or she can declare the plan a Good Idea. The players don't have to roll; it's just successful.

2. Otherwise finding hidden things like traps (or loot) or hidden characters is a Scout test. Finding things is generally a fixed obstacle (i.e., you require a certain number of successes based on how well the thing is hidden). Locating a hiding character is a versus test (your Scout versus their Scout).

In other words, if you describe looking in the right place, touching the right thing, etc. You don't need to roll. You succeed in finding whatever it is. If you simply say "we search the room" or the like, you go to the dice.

Obryn

Hero
After reviewing the preview stuff, I decided that this one isn't for me. I have enough rules-heavy games to last me a bit, and with a mixed group of serious and casual players. I don't think it would work for us right now, but I may check it out later. :)

-O

smartmonkey

First Post
Sure. It's actually both. When the players describe their actions, the GM has two options:
1. First, the GM can decide that the players have come up with a Good Idea. If the GM decides the players have come up with a smart approach to a problem--a smart use of their gear, spells or bodies--he or she can declare the plan a Good Idea. The players don't have to roll; it's just successful.

This is already so much of my style when I GM a game that it's a joy to see it put into mechanical terms. I was a little bit on the fence about hopping on board the Torchbearer KS (I'm kinda broke!) but now I'm absolutely sold.

Middarmark setting book with new monsters, spells, items, etc. announced for next year.

And backers of the current kickstarter get the pdf for free. Nice surprise since no stretch goals extras beyond an upgrade to the main rulebook were expected. And Middarmark sounds like a great setting.

Remove ads