TORG: Eternity Who has played it?

Dan Davenport

Hardboiled GMshoe
I've been playing for about a year now and can testify that it's great fun -- and this is coming from a huge fan of the original.

Rather than re-type all of my observations, you can check out my review here.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
It was suggested BOTH heroes and villian did the ABCD though. Should I draw two cards? Who gets the ABCD advantage? Both? I am most likely over thinking this but it escapes me.
I stopped getting notifications on this thread and am sorry I missed the discussion. Hopefully this info is still useful.

You can use the ABCD system anytime you want to design, in your adventure, a task that fit the following conditions....
  • It has multiple steps
  • It has a time limit to accomplish

The ABCD system is usually only used for the players, however it WOULD be possible to have the villains use the same system. In fact, thats a pretty good idea i'm marking down in my GM book!

Simple ABCD example in which I just throw some numbers in for placeholding purposes and maybe refer to skills that don't exist anymore.

There is a bomb that needs to be defused in 15 rounds (Note that the number of rounds is determined by you) or the building will blow up with all the evidence. During that time the players must perform A, B, C, and D IN-ORDER with the cards determining which steps are possible that particular round. While the players are working on defusing the bomb the building guards will be trying to stop them.

You determine the steps to be
A: Determine the type of bomb and its general layout (Demolitions TN10 or Computers TN 15)
B: Open the cover defeating the anti-tamper device (Demolitions TN15 or DEX(Unskilled) TN20)
C: Follow the wiring leads to figure out which go to the detonator (Perception 8)
D: Cut the Correct wire ( Demolitions TN10 or Electronics TN10)

So a sample set of rounds would go likes this (Assume nobody in the party had demolitions skill):

Round 1: (Card has B, C) You describe how the volume of bullets coming at the players is too strong to even look at the bomb right now. Players shoot at some bad guys or build a fort around the bomb or whatever.

Round 2: (Card has A, C) You mention the volume of fire has slacked off and to figure out the bomb a character(s) needs to make a TN15 computers check on their cellphone/laptop to figure out what is what. One players gets to try to make one of the rolls for step A. They succeed The other players continue the shootout.

Round 3: (Card has C ,D) You mention that in order to remove the cover the players needs to dig around for a screwdriver in the general area and they haven't found one yet. Combat continutes.

Round 4: (Card has A,B,C,D) Player 1, finding the screwdrivers necessary (this is just story), tries to pry off the cover. They fail to get the DC20 DEX check. no other players can try the other steps because B is still outstanding.

Round 5: SETBACK You describe to the players that the information they pulled up earlier seemed like it matched the bomb but that as they were trying to pry off the cover they noticed that it was different than what they were expecting and their information was incorrect. They have to go back a step, to A, and find the correct info by succeeding again.

Round 6: (Card has A, B, C, D) The players finally decide to take the bomb serious and have a card pool built up by now to take care of it. Since there are only 3 characters in the party, one person is going to have to do 2 of the steps (at the normal 2 action penalty) to get the whole thing done. Cards are spent and possibilities are consumed and the 4 skill checks are made.

BOMB DEFUSED

In this example there was a time limit established (bomb ticking down), a multi-step problem (an elaborate timebomb), and a further complication of having enemies attacking making the whole process that much more dangerous. The enemies didn't care about the ABCD track and just were there to add distraction.

The bomb was in the book and I understood it. Its how it is used for Chases. The Delphi Missions first book gave me more structure but I am still not clear on who gets the "next" step. I'm thinking who ever "wins" the drive test.

Still unclear on the Chases rules but I'll wing it. Making characters and having "Session Zero" next week as we discuss the game world in general.

First adventure will involve the rescue of a top politician's daughter from the edge of the Living Lands. It will expand just as everyone gets there and deal with it.

Second adventure will deal with the recovery of an Eternity shard and introduce a re-occuring villain group.

A lot of research is going into these as I am using "real world" concepts and places.

Adventure One: REDIRECTION
Research Hopi Language, Vantange, WA, Types of trucks and planes.

Adventure Two: "State" of Washington
Research Federal Way, WA, Auctions of an important piece of Americania, The item auctioned, Military water craft, Seattle waterways

Still- the end product looks good. I'll know for sure by the end of the month.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I lost track of this thread and forgot to reply with my chase ABCD thoughts.

For a simple chase I would propose this wing it option. Each side of the chase starts at DC 15 for their drive checks. The amount you beat your check number by not ADDs to the enemies DC the following turn and subtracts from your own. Repeat until one side lowers their DC to 0 at which point they got away or caught the PCs. No ABCD use.

For a dramatic chase ignore opposed drive rolls and instead impose an ABCD challenge for each side to tackle. First team to beat the ABCD challenge wins the chase.

Let me know how your first session goes. I'd like to hear the PC choices.

My first adventure has a Dramatic Scene "Chase" that is partially taken from Day One's Tharkold adventure. The heroes are rescueing someone with the use of two military trucks. They were miles from the Living Land so everyone is thinking it is safe. Out comes a group of Edinienos and a distant T-Rex. As they grind the truck gears to leave to reach the only bridge that allows an escape a Reality Storm erupts allowing for even more Living Land chaos to occur. They need to clear the charging T-Rex (whom has an exploding gas station and storm to deal with itself, as they ride up the upramp a Optant directs attacks. Dealing with the attacks the group also has plants growing wildly onto the bridge to run over and raptors begin to leap onto the truck. Then the final bit- the storm is causing the bridge to break up.

Hell of a first Dramatic Scene for the team. As the first I have done it will be decent or a TPK. Either way- memorible.

Remove ads