• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Toss Me"

Elric

First Post
How would you handle a character throwing an ally in 4e? As best I can tell, there are no throwing rules in the PH; just the carrying capacity rules on page 222.

My first instinct was to use Aid Another, but this is somewhat problematic because the check is still based almost entirely on the score of the character being tossed- provided the aiding character can hit a DC 10 check, other attributes (the character doing the tossing is exceptionally strong, or the character being tossed is particularly small) don't matter at all.

Thoughts (and links if this has come up before) appreciated!

Last edited:

chaotix42

First Post
Hmmm, I'd just make it a Strength check (Str bonus + 1/2 lvl), and the higher the check the further you could throw someone. I'd probably make it a standard action too. I'm not sure what the DC would be though...

Rughat

Explorer
First reaction: Standard Action, Athletics skill, figure the distance thrown equal to what you would get from a standing jump. The throwee needs to make an easy Acrobatics roll to not land prone. Oh, and you better bet this provokes opportunity attacks from anything along the path of the throw.

BobTheNob

First Post
Look, if a player wants to toss another player, thats their thing. Just do it outside of play time! (and no, we dont need dice rolls. There is nothing random in the success of that attempted action)

frankthedm

First Post
IMHO If a player gets moved in just about any way outside the scope of ally moving powers, by an ally, the person getting moved must spend movement equal to the distance moved on their very next turn. If the player being chucked want to attack at the end of the chuck, that is what the Delay action is for.

inkmonkeys

First Post
Fast solution: Let the throwing PC roll Athletics and substitute the result for the thrown PC's Athletics check to see how far they "jump".

Hagan Grimmbrow

First Post
In the campaign I play, we have a Minotaur fighter and a Kobold rogue who like to flank enemies. Whenever the Minotaur charges, the Kobold climbs on his shoulders and when the Minotaur stops, the Kobold makes an athletics check to jump over the enemy and land in a flank.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
In the campaign I play, we have a Minotaur fighter and a Kobold rogue who like to flank enemies. Whenever the Minotaur charges, the Kobold climbs on his shoulders and when the Minotaur stops, the Kobold makes an athletics check to jump over the enemy and land in a flank.

Minor quibble: technically that should be an acrobatic stunt, and it would provoke an OA.

Elric

First Post
I'd rule that the target must be a light load for you and that you can use an athletics check to move them as per the jump rules.

This seems a little bit too harsh. An average dwarf weighs 190 lbs; in chain mail 230 lbs, plus at least 10 more lbs for weapon/shield. It would definitely cause a "no one can throw a dwarf" scenario, and I wouldn't want that :)

Fast solution: Let the throwing PC roll Athletics and substitute the result for the thrown PC's Athletics check to see how far they "jump".

This seems like the simplest solution. I'd probably require no more than a heavy load, and give a -2 penalty if the character isn't a light load, and a +2 bonus if the character is less than 1/2 of a (max) light load.

Remove ads