Total Defensive and Flanking

Hecatæus

First Post
If an attacker (A) is engaged with 2 defenders (B) and (C), and B is on Total Defensive while C is engaged normally with A, then is A considered flanked? (assume it is C's turn, and A moved previeous to attack B who won initiative)

ooooo
ooBoo
ooAoo
ooCoo
ooooo

I would guess yes, as A is attacking B. But would he still be flanked if he (A) attacked C? ...B continues to go Total Defensive, A turns and attacks C.

Thanks

Crothian

First Post
I don't think so because B isn't attacking A. Flanking implies that A is being distracting by both opponents, but in your scenerio A doesn't need to worry about B at all.

melkoriii

First Post
IIRC they are flanking as B still threatents A though he is not attcking.

I presonly feel Total Defence is you do not make any attacks even AoO and so do not threaten any space.

Legildur

First Post
I asked the following questions of the WotC game support and got the following answers (in bold):

I am uncertain about some aspects of a the Total Defense action:

1. What is the maximum distance you can move while using Total Defense? I think that for a human fighter wearing a chain shirt and lightly encumbered that it would be a maximum of 30'.

You could move your normal movement. So 30' in your above example.

2. Does a character using Total Defense threaten an area?

Yes.

3. If the answer to (2) is yes, then I assume that they can flank an opponent if their movement stops in the appropriate square.

Yes you may flank.

4. If the answer to (2) is yes, then can they take an AOO? If so, what is the penalty to the attack roll? (-4 as per fighting defensively?)

You still threaten the area around you, so you can make AOO. You would suffer the -4 penalty since you are using Total Defense.

These answers also concur with the responses Caliban received from the Sage for similar questions. There was a thread about this question a few weeks ago, but, with no search facility......

Valavien

First Post
How about this: Total Defensive doesn't just mean B is just standing there - B would be swinging their weapon around countering the blows that are coming from A. So even though we run combat blow by blow with the dice, our characters are actually much more engaged in the combat. So while A is attacking C, A is still making a few stabs at B who is Totally Defending. Until we get to the time that C attacks, because A is being occupied by both opponents the flankers get the +2 bonus.

It's like in Baldur's Gate . There is a lot of swinging going on for effect that don't actually get counted as that characters turn. Same sort of thing.

If that made any sense :D

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Besides, it's not like you are wearing a sign saying "Total Defense, I won't attack you" when you use the Total Defense action. You are obviously being more cautious, but you still have your weapon out, you are still presenting it.

Basically, Total Defense can represent someone holding off on their attacks until they see an opening (i.e. their opponent provokes an AoO).

Darklone

Right guys

Total defense may as well mean to block the enemies weapon. At tournaments, I've often worked that way together with a friend, my twin swords caught the enemies weapon and he finished them off. No way I could have attacked then though. I just moved in on him and forced him to hit me.

Remove ads