Total Freeform Character Generation

maggot

First Post
Has anyone tried freeform character generation where the player assigns the stats he thinks are appropriate for his character? How about freeform character generation where the player can pick her level as well? How about total freeform character gen where the player can just write down whatever abilities she thinks her character should have?

I'm serious here. I want feedback from those who have actually tried such a system rather than those that dismiss it outright without experience to back it up. And since those without experience will reply anyway, how about some constructive critism?

DerHauptman

First Post
Well, I use free form stat generation for my games and the players have always been respectful of the freedom by not being stupid greedy with it. I think the peer pressure of seeming like a jerk actually makes my players take some limitations along with their strengths.

That's why I hate point buy the players are all assumed to be average or a little below 8-9 (-1). My players will consistently take a really low score along with a great one. Interestingly enough, because I trust them and assume they are mature, their weakness is rarely in CHA as people would assume. My players are not power gamers or min maxers at all thankfully.

I start all my games with the players having 3 levels in any NPC class or combination of classes to represent their life before adventuring. They get the skills for each class but I save the 4X skill points for their 1st PC level.

I don't even count the levels when we do experience. We start at level 1 and the normal amount of xp 0. They have the skills and feats of course and I always reward them with extra skills for background and such.

It's worked for me and mine like a charm.

I think Crothian also uses the let em pick their stats method as we have talked about it before.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
I've used something similar. For years we used the "4d6 drop the lowest six times, arrange as you like" method of character generation--with the alteration that you can roll as many sets of stats as you like. It kept a bit of randomness and variety, but also meant you could keep rolling until you had a character you liked.

It worked well; everyone had a good time.

Of course, we were all teenagers and giddy over high stats. These days half the fun of D&D is character building, as in taking a limited resource (the ever-popular 28 point buy) and figuring out a way to build the most effective character.

maggot said:
Has anyone tried freeform character generation where the player assigns the stats he thinks are appropriate for his character? How about freeform character generation where the player can pick her level as well? How about total freeform character gen where the player can just write down whatever abilities she thinks her character should have?

Yes, no, no.

1) Generally, with a good group, there's no real problem doing the first - it's effectively the same as just rerolling a bunch of times until you get something you like.

2) Everyone always starts at the same level.

3) No - you pick a class, though I'll help you create a variant class if that's what you need.

I'm Cleo

First Post
I've done the "pick your own ability scores" thing, and it's always worked out fine for me. My players have never tried to abuse it, though I go for powerful characters anyway (my thought: they're heroes, after all). I want them to be able to do what they want with their characters, and sometimes what they want involves lots of high scores. Sometimes it's low scores. Since I just make up every combat they're in, they can't "unbalance" the campaign (barring something like Pun-Pun).

I would start everyone at the same level, though. It might be a little too odd with a big level disparity, and unusually challenging for the DM.

I would like to try the "make up your own class" thing, now that the OP mentioned it, but generally I'm open to customizing existing characters.

DerHauptman,

I did the "three levels of NPC classes" thing, too! It worked fine, though I think I like your idea (starting the XP ladder over) better than just playing straight through.

I'm Cleo!

HeavyG

First Post
I tried letting people choose their stats, once, for a second edition Birthright game. The players abused the hell out of it, especially the guy who is super stingy with points when he DMs.

It wasn't game breaking, since it was 2nd edition (thus not as balance-focused) and they were playing blooded characters, but I will never try this again with these particular players. :)

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I've never done it. So I can't really share any experience. It's not that I don't think it will work. It's that I am worried about the worst-case scenario and everything up to that point, that might detract from the fun of the game. Worst-case scenario is everyone chooses nothing but 18s. I doubt that would ever happen unless the players were really immature. Second worse-case scenario is that four out of five players choose a very powerful build (akin to a 50 point buy) while another decides to give his character a weakness and winds up always being outshined because of it. In fact, that might be even worse, because at least if everyone has all 18s, they are all on the same playing field.

I imagine this could work just fine provided you have the following things:
-a group of players who are all about the same level of maturity
-a group of players who all have similar ideas about how powerful a D&D character should be

I would suggest that before trying this, you ask your players what kind of character they would make. Don't have them put any effort into it, just ask them point blank what the highlights would be? Gauge their first minute reaction and see if everyone is on the same page, or at least a similar one. If so, you can probably get away with it. If not, just be prepared for something unexpected to happen.

Sykopup

First Post
Several years ago, the group that I adventured with actually did characters based on ourselves. We picked the class, then figured out what our real life stats were. Once we put down what we thought we deserved, the group reviewed each character sheet and made adjustments. We ran these characters for several adventures until the DM started getting bossy. At that point, we tried to kill ourselves off, but the DM wouldn't let us die.

I started out with a point to this story, and that was that you do the freeform thing, but let the players police each other. Just a suggestion.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Sykopup said:
I started out with a point to this story, and that was that you do the freeform thing, but let the players police each other. Just a suggestion.

Hey, that is a really good idea! Let the players build their characters however they want, however the rest of the group has veto power over it. That way no one ever feels outclassed by the others. Since that is probably the biggest barrier I can imagine, this would probably work well. IMC, I know if a wizard wanted wraithstrike everyone would say it is ok but if an eldritch knight with power attack wanted it most would veto it, allowing the game to remain balanced.

Remove ads