• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Totally Obscure Game of the Day

WayneLigon

Adventurer
GMSkarka said:
Good lord. Some of the games people are listing as "obscure"....Marvel Superheroes? Toon? TMNT?

All those have been out of print for a number of years, save perhaps the TMNT 'successor' After the Bomb, which is still available. Toon is suppossed to have a revival through an E23 release sometime in 06, but I don't know when; even then it'll be firmly in the obscure/niche department. I'd bet you money I could go to the FLGS store right now and there wouldn't be more than 2 or 3 people that would even know those games ever existed, much less played them.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Chaldfont said:
I've been trying to get a game of this together for a while. I played this a lot back in high school.

Of course, it always degenerated into a nuke-fest. We could not resist those plastic mushroom cloud pieces!

Same here. As soon as people developed nukes they started using them. It was fun, but took a long time to play. I know I still have it somewhere.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Supremacy - By Supremacy games. A RISK style game with stuff like WMD's, stock market effects, and other resource allocation aspects. Never got to play it that much though.

Wow, I remember that. I seem to remember it had some very nice looking peices and cards and such.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
GMSkarka said:
Good lord. Some of the games people are listing as "obscure"....Marvel Superheroes? Toon? TMNT?

'Chess'. It's sort-of a minis wargame, but with fixed armies. Can't recall the publisher, but I'm pretty sure it's still in print.

I saw a few sets on eBay, too.

-Hyp.

CarlZog

Explorer
Dannyalcatraz said:
Ace of Aces & Lost Worlds, the combat book games. You had whatever your plane or PC's maneuvers were, and the book showed you your POV.

AoA did aerial combat in WW1 planes, while Lost Worlds was essentially M:TG, except it was mano-a-mano melee combat instead of spells (with a few exceptions). LW has been through several incarnations in the hands of several publishers.

Aces of Aces rocks, though I hardly think it's obscure. Just old. I never got into Lost Worlds.

CarlZog

Explorer
jmucchiello said:
Anyone else have a copy of 4th Dimension? A TSR 2-player abstract strategy game. It combines elements of Chess and Stratego (came out before Stratego I think). So old it has the little wizard with a wand TSR logo on the box.

I do. One of my favorites. It was pretty big in Britain before TSR published their version. I always wanted to get a nice set of it made with metal pieces -- like a good chess set.

Carl

CarlZog

Explorer
Stomp A mini-game from Chaosium. There's a giant in the garden and the elves are trying to bring him down. One player plays the giant, represented by two counters -- one for each foot. The elves try to trip him up, he tries to squash the elves. Great fun. I still have a copy, but probably haven't opened it in 20 years.

Carl

Remove ads