D&D 3E/3.5 Tower Shields [3.5]

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
How do you manage to get a dwarf barbarian with a 36 strength? As far as I can tell, the best you could do would be:
18 (initial)+5 (level)+5 (inherent)+6 item=34 strength.

maybeso said:

And the 20th level dwarf barbarian with a strength of 36 (before rage) who can lift 1.84 Tons over his head notices the 45 lbs. why? (when he rages his str. is 44 and he can lift 2.8 tons over his head...) I don't see the 45 lbs. being a problem when your light load is 1224 lbs.

Madfox

First Post
Does it really matter how the dwarf would get a 36 strength? Even though a couple of dragon discple levels would boost it way beyond 36. The question remains the same for any high strength character. Of course, weight in itself has nothing to do with the effectiveness of the towershield as a weapon. Balance and ease of use is probably a better way to say why it cannot be used.

In any event, I have not seen a huge increase in the use of towershields in 3.5. The fighters who have the skill and strength to carry such a dead weight tend to fight with two-handed weapons. The spellcasting classes tend to come in medium or heavy load by just carrying the thing.

Darklone

Elder-Basilisk said:
How do you manage to get a dwarf barbarian with a 36 strength? As far as I can tell, the best you could do would be:
18 (initial)+5 (level)+5 (inherent)+6 item=34 strength.

Enlarge person?

Urklore

First Post
Yeah but what about half-ogres and such who are 8' tall. Certainally they could shield bash or shield rush with a tower shield. Just me 3 copper.

Last edited:

Azul

First Post
Urklore said:
Yeah but what about half-ogres and such who are 8' tall. Certainally they could shield bash or shield rush with a tower shield. Just me 3 copper.

Half-ogres are large creatures and using 3.5 rules would use large tower shields. Even if you think the weight of a tower shield isn't a big thing for a really strong character, you have to remember that tower shields are huge and bulky. They are not just too heavy to use as a weapon - they are too awkward. IMO, t best, a DM might rule that a very strong character could use them as an improvised weapon.

Remove ads