• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tracking mini options?

Sacrosanct

Legend
One of my friends, when DMing, has a hard time keeping track of which mini on the map represents monster #1, #2, etc on his sheet for tracking hp and conditions. So he prefers to just use dice instead with a different # showing up. Sadly, this means pretty monster minis aren’t used.

are there other options to keep track of each monster and which one they are? A little # sticker (although I can’t see that sticking for long). A base with a number on it that the minis it’s on?

the best option I can think of is to add a base, and paint a # on that base. Probably Roman numerals since it will be easier to see a VIII than a tiny 8.

Last edited:

Len

Prodigal Member
A couple of suggestions:

Use a variety of minis. Don't use 5 identical orcs, use one with a big sword, one with a shield, one with a bow, etc. It helps if you're not picky about using exactly the correct minis - one of the skeletons might have a zombie mini.

Number the monsters in order from left to right or whatever. I bet you can see where this goes wrong. :)

Mookus

Explorer
Alea Tools sells a series of (not cheap but awesome) magnetic, differently colored mini bases, as well as adhesive ferrous circles for the mini bottoms. The numbered stickers they sell are a bit too small for me to read easily, so I just use different colors and color code the stats in my notes.

Instead of Orc 1, Orc 2, Orc 3 and so on, it's Red Orc, Green Orc, Blue orc, etc.

darjr

I crit!
I just use silver sharpie on the edge of the base and put hash marks. Dunno what I’m going to do for custom ones yet.

aco175

Legend
We found tiny craft beads with numbers and letters on them that my brother glued to the base, ie- s1 or g5. We have moved to more paper minis with colored themes so we have the same man with sword but the base and shield is blue or red or yellow.

Sacrosanct

Legend
We found tiny craft beads with numbers and letters on them that my brother glued to the base, ie- s1 or g5. We have moved to more paper minis with colored themes so we have the same man with sword but the base and shield is blue or red or yellow.
I think the beads are the way to go. Very small, and super easy to glue on the base, whereas since the bases are of varying sizes, bands or tokens wouldn't work easily with all of them.

Numbered condition rings

Or just get the color rings and assign a number to each color. The players can help the DM keep track of which color corresponds to each number.

Thanks for this idea. I have been struggling with this. My mini collection is small at the moment, partly because we haven't been playing for long. However, using Risk pieces doesn't work as easily with a large amount of troops -- especially now that we've discovered my son is color blind.

A couple of suggestions:

Use a variety of minis. Don't use 5 identical orcs, use one with a big sword, one with a shield, one with a bow, etc. It helps if you're not picky about using exactly the correct minis - one of the skeletons might have a zombie mini.

Number the monsters in order from left to right or whatever. I bet you can see where this goes wrong. :)

This is what I do. My score sheet has a lot of: angel with sword, demon, etc., even though they are all technically kobalds.

In some miniatures games with similar figures a lot of folks use mini-dice on the figure bases. You can buy a bunch of 5mm d6s in a variety of colors for cheap.

I'll have to look into this.

Remove ads