Trade offer: Rod of lordly might for belt of giant strength

kalani

First Post
Yeah, I too am puzzled by the reference to forelimbs. I think there was a miscommunication somewhere, as I never once mentioned the elk wearing a belt on its forelimbs... I did however mention an elk wearing a pair of bracers.

EDIT: Apparently, I did say it - but unintentionally as a result of some copy/paste or cursor error that I failed to notice. I suspect what happened was that I went to delete a word, and in doing so the cursor jumped to an earlier point in the sentence, and then I typed the reference to the "belt of giant strength" in the middle of the existing sentence, instead of at the end as intended.

I have since corrected the error.

Last edited:

RulesJD

First Post
What puzzles me is how you decided that a belt around the waist of a human would somehow end up on the forelimbs in elk form. Surely the equivalent bit of anatomy would be on the hindquarters, just forward of the rear legs or at the top of the rear legs.

I could see a DME either ruling that the belt ends up below the hips on the elk, and thus falls to the ground, wrapped around their rear legs, or that it is just above the hips of the elk, which would be wearable. I just don't see how you got "forelimbs" of the elk, unless for some reason you think the belt is worn around the chest or upper torso on a human.

I got there for two reasons:

1. Elk have forelimbs.

2. Because I read the post I was quoting, where he said: "Take a Giant Elk for example - Bracers of armor or a giant strength belt should still work on its forelimbs; athough they would scale in size to fit."

That's why I discussed that. For reference, a Giant Elk in game terms is roughly the same size as a massive moose. There is noooooo way a Medium sized creature's waist is going to be anything even close in size to that.

Again, we're reverting back to literally the first point I made. This is one of the few rules that explicitly states it is DM discretion whether the piece of equipment can be used by the Druid in Wildshape form, which is what my very first post stated.

RulesJD

First Post
Yeah, I too am puzzled by the reference to forelimbs. I think there was a miscommunication somewhere, as I never once mentioned the elk wearing a belt on its forelimbs... I did however mention an elk wearing a pair of bracers.

"Take a Giant Elk for example - Bracers of armor or a giant strength belt should still work on its forelimbs; athough they would scale in size to fit."

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I got there for two reasons:

1. Elk have forelimbs.

2. Because I read the post I was quoting, where he said: "Take a Giant Elk for example - Bracers of armor or a giant strength belt should still work on its forelimbs; athough they would scale in size to fit."

That's why I discussed that. For reference, a Giant Elk in game terms is roughly the same size as a massive moose. There is noooooo way a Medium sized creature's waist is going to be anything even close in size to that.

Again, we're reverting back to literally the first point I made. This is one of the few rules that explicitly states it is DM discretion whether the piece of equipment can be used by the Druid in Wildshape form, which is what my very first post stated.

So, given that they mentioned both bracers (worn on the wrists) and a belt (worn on the waist), you chose to go with the belt on the forelimbs, the dumbest possible interpretation, just so you could act smug about your knowledge of Elk anatomy? Bravo.

Plus, it may have escaped your notice, but in 5e, by default magical items resize to fit their wearer. So a magical belt will fit a Medium size human or a Large elk just the same.

You may not know any DM's that would allow a belt on an Elk, but I know a few who would, for the reasons I mentioned above (similar location (the waist) exists on both forms, and magic items resize).

Just about the only thing we are in agreement on is that it's up to the DM's discretion. The reasons you gave for saying no? Not so much.

Last edited:

kalani

First Post
Sorry, that must have been a typo. What I actually typed (or more accurately intended to type) was "Take a Giant elk for example, Braces of armor on its forelimbs, or a belt of giant strength should still work".

I suspect that since I was typing this on my ipad, there may have been a point where a copy/paste error (or that weird error where the mouse jumps to an earlier point in a sentence) occurred, and for that I apologize. I do know how physiology works, and it is justifiably ridiculous to think that an Elk could wear a belt on its forelimbs. Weird that I didn't notice the error before posting.

I have since corrected the mistake to the intended sentence.

Last edited:

kalani

First Post
With that being said - regardless of what you feel the rules are in this situation, it is largely irrelevant.

This was a TRADE thread. There was no need for rules discussions in the slightest, as it only detracted from the purpose of the thread - to trade one item for another. As far as DM discretion goes, pretty much every DM at my store allows wildshaped druids to wear any magic item that could reasonably be worn by the creature (as I outlined above). I don't care what happens at your stores as it doesn't impact me in the slightest.

Furthermore, as a former RC - I am keenly aware that DM discretion is always in effect. That is also an irrelevant point, given the fact DM discretion on whether I can use the item while wildshaped at table X or Y has no bearing on a thread intended to trade one item for another.​ If I happen to run into a DM who doesn't think it works, I will accept it at that table, and simply have the item be absorbed for the duration of the effect. Again, it is largely irrelevant to the thread topic.

RulesJD

First Post
So, given that they mentioned both bracers (worn on the wrists) and a belt (worn on the waist), you chose to go with the belt on the forelimbs, the dumbest possible interpretation, just so you could act smug about your knowledge of Elk anatomy? Bravo.

Plus, it may have escaped your notice, but in 5e, by default magical items resize to fit their wearer. So a magical belt will fit a Medium size human or a Large elk just the same.

*SNIP*

*SIGH*

Do you really enjoy being proven wrong that much? Why, oh why might I ask, would a poster possibly reference the BELT over the bracer in a thread titled......wait for it....

Trade offer: Rod of lordly might for belt of giant strength

*gasp*

As for resizing, I am, per literally the first thing I wrote (again), perfectly happy with DMs saying the belt will somehow fit or resize. DMG pg. 140-141 is both lenient (worn items resize) and not lenient (worn items must go into the appropriate place to work + nonhumanoids require DM discretion).

Remove ads