TRAILBLAZER - PDF Release - Discussion/Questions/Errata

GlassJaw

Hero
Truly enjoying this book so far. Quick question though: to be clear, the book is proposing the idea that dropping the big six, or at the very least greatly limiting them, will actually bring the game into better balance (so long as APs are used)?

It seems like that is the conclusion made, but it's not implicit, so I wanted to make sure.

Thanks Rogue!

You could drop the Big 6 but that is a bit drastic - we certainly aren't advocating that per se.

The more important thing is not allowing your players to cherry-pick the magic items they want, whether from crafting or buying at Ye Olde Magic Shoppe. A good rule of thumb is that the players should "use what they find". Once the players get used to that, the "power curve" starts to feel a bit more balanced.

You can still give out the Big 6 but by doing so, you are controlling their introduction into the campaign.

We definitely advocate dropping the Craft feats though, at least for permanently charged items. Crafting potions, scrolls, and wands is ok.

Hope that helps!

cauldron

First Post
Natural Spell

Hello,
I have one question, I may be wrong but it seems that the feat 'Natural Spell' allowing druids to cast spells while in pure animal form (not hybrid) has not been integrated in Trailblazer.
Is that because it is overpowered or broken? Would I be doing a mistake if I allow a player to take it?

Thanks,
Cauldron

TheLastRogue

First Post
Ok. Another question.

The cleric gets domain spells that add to its readied spells, not its spell slots. Thus it allows them to have more versatility, not firepower per se.

However, that leads to some confusion for me. Example: A cleric has the law domain and the Good Domain.

* 1st level he gets to ready a single domain spell of 1st level. He chooses Protection from Evil.

* At 2nd level he gains the ability to ready another domain spell of 1st level. Since he has only two domains, he now also readies Protection from Chaos.

* He continues to follow this formula up, accessing higher and higher levels domains spells, until 11th level. Here he chooses his third domain, Healing. He also now has the ability to ready 3 1st level domain spells. Since the spells are READIED and not slotted, he puts in Cure Light Wounds.

* Now the problem. Next level, level 12, it says he gains another readied domain spell. How? He has three domains. He's chosen three domain spells to be readied. There is no benefit to readying, say, Protection from Chaos again because, since it is readied, he may cast it as often as he has slots anyways.

Confused . . .

GlassJaw

Hero
Hello,
I have one question, I may be wrong but it seems that the feat 'Natural Spell' allowing druids to cast spells while in pure animal form (not hybrid) has not been integrated in Trailblazer.
Is that because it is overpowered or broken? Would I be doing a mistake if I allow a player to take it?

You are not wrong - Natural Spell is not in TB. That was a conscious decision. We should have added it to the list of Deleted Feats but that was an oversight.

Remember, a druid in hybrid form can still cast spells though. Essentially, the hybrid form is a way for a druid to gain additional combat benefits and abilities. Wild Shape + Natural Spell is a very powerful combination that is open to a lot of abuse if a player cherry-picks various forms to wild shape into.

You can allow a player to take Natural Spell but I'd advise keeping an eye on how the player is using it. You could also require Natural Spell to be limited to a single creature type that the player must choose when taking the feat. That way you can work with the player to keep it under control.

GlassJaw

Hero
* Now the problem. Next level, level 12, it says he gains another readied domain spell. How? He has three domains. He's chosen three domain spells to be readied. There is no benefit to readying, say, Protection from Chaos again because, since it is readied, he may cast it as often as he has slots anyways.

Yup, it's a bug. Took a while for someone to catch it though... :p

This will continue to be a problem from level 12 on (14th level grants a 4th 2nd level domain spell, 16th grants a 4th 3rd, etc).

The easiest thing to do is to simply remove the 4th granted domain spell at that respective level. That does put a hole at level 20 but this is the easiest fix barring a more significant change to the progression.

cauldron

First Post
Thank you for your answer.
The player is not a crazy optimizer, he didn't make anything game breaking with his druid until now so I think I will allow him to take the feat.

cauldron

First Post
Hello,
I'm looking for some advices, if someone can help me.
I have a problem with the web spell, I find it too much complicated. I never know when you have to make a Reflex save or a Escape Artist check, when you can move or not and what distance... Each time someone use it (PC or NPC), it slows the game without bringing much. I'm thinking of forbidding it for good...

I'm wondering if someone know another way of managing that spell, a simplier and trailblazier way?...

Thanks

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Web alternate:
Web covers a 20' radius (just like Fireball) for 1 round / caster level. Creatures that begin their turn in, or move into, the radius have to make a Reflex. Sucess lets them move at half-speed. Failure means they are immobilized by webs (can't move).
Immobilized characters can escape with a DC 20 check (Strength, Escape Artist, or other as the DM allows). If the web is burned then all characters within the web take 1d6 fire damage and the web is ended.

How does that strike you?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases