• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[TRAILER] Spider-Man reboot

NewJeffCT

First Post
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upwf8RsyNqQ]‪Official THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN Teaser Trailer‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

I've been a huge fan of Spidey for essentially my entire life. I started reading his comics in the early 70s and collected them avidly from then until the mid 90s.

I thought the first two Spidey movies were very good, but the third one was a bloated mess... however, I went to see them all opening weekend at the movies and always had strong feelings about the movies.

I'm sure I'll generate a lot of discussion both ways on this, but the trailer left me with an empty feeling. Based on the teaser, I have no desire to see it at all. (I saw it before Captain America in the theater the other night)

I'm not sure of the actor in the role.

I dislike that they introduced Peter's parents in the movie - in the comics, it's not until years later that their memory is brought up - when Peter finds out more about them.

Plus, the first person view of him going up walls just didn't work for me. Say what you will about Sam Raimi, but he knows how to give a movie the "comic book" feel.

I don't think it's that the reboot is coming too soon, either.

However, given that it's Spidey, I'll likely eventually go to see the movie. Maybe not opening weekend.

Anybody else have the same feeling as me? How about the opposite?

Spatula

Explorer
I'm with you on it being too soon to re-tell the origin.

The trailer is definitely on the lackluster side - it's all dark and mysterious and... then what? Peter becomes Spider-Man, trailer ends. I don't mind introducing his parents, but are they going somewhere with that? Is there any conflict? Action?

I thought Raimi did a great job making the viewer feel like they were web-slinging through Manhattan, but I also really liked the first-person viewpoint in the trailer. Even if it does look a little fake because of the smoothness of it.

Overall, I am not enthused. I really liked the 1st Spider-Man movie, loved the 2nd, hated the 3rd.

Well, apparently I'm in the minority, but I'm feeling pretty positive about this. I like what I've seen of Andrew Garfield, and while I'll admit that I'd prefer it not have been an origin story, that's not a deal-breaker for me if it's a decent movie.

Richards

Legend
Is this new Spider-Man movie franchise starting over so it can be made by the same production company that has the rights to the various Avengers superheroes? If they're "rebooting" this early just so that Spider-Man can interact with other members of the Marvel Universe (either in his movies or theirs), then I'm okay with it.

I will agree, though, that this new one doesn't seem up to the standards of the Raimi movies. But maybe I can hold on to the hopes that THIS actor playing Peter Parker will keep his @#$%^&! mask on his face when he's Spider-Man, as opposed to Tobey "Don't Forget It's Me Under the Mask!" Maguire.

Johnathan

Spatula

Explorer
I will agree, though, that this new one doesn't seem up to the standards of the Raimi movies. But maybe I can hold on to the hopes that THIS actor playing Peter Parker will keep his @#$%^&! mask on his face when he's Spider-Man, as opposed to Tobey "Don't Forget It's Me Under the Mask!" Maguire.
That's hardly up to the actor.

The truth is, you see this happen a fair amount in recent super-hero movies. Iron Man, for example, is constantly lifting up his face plate. And there is a big visual difference between a voice coming out of an inexpressive mask or helmet, and one coming out of a human face.

Remove ads