D&D 5E Transporting LMoP into Nentir Vale

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Hey folks! So, I’m soon to run a campaign, which is going to start with Lost Mines of Phandelver and branch out from there into more homebrew stuff. The thing is, I want to run the broader campaign in Nentir Vale, which means I might need to do some reskinning to transport Phandalin into that setting. I was thinking maybe the Cragmaw region, with Winterhaven replacing Neverwinter as the large city they’re transporting the mining goods from, but I’m not 100% settled on that. Does anyone here have experience running LMoP in other settings, Nentir Vale in particular? Or any suggestions for how to convert from Forgotten Realms-specific elements to NV?

Raith5

Adventurer
Why not start at Fallcrest and turn winterhaven into Phandlin (sp)? And thereby make the hideout near the KIngs road in the forest where the Kobold place was.

Charlaquin

Why not start at Fallcrest and turn winterhaven into Phandlin (sp)? And thereby make the hideout near the KIngs road in the forest where the Kobold place was.

That could work, but Winterhaven is a pretty major city (at least as far as cities in PoLand go), whereas Phandalin is supposed to be a small town. Still, I suppose it could be near Winterhaven.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I made the whole adventure set between the Fiveleague House and the Harken barony with the Cragmaw Castle being in the Harken Forest and the actual mines in the Dawnforge. Phandalin was set a the feet of the mountains.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Winterhaven is actually one of the smaller towns in the Vale. If you take a look at the map of it within the Keep On The Shadowfell module, there's only like 10 buildings and the manor house. Fallcrest is MUCH larger of a city than Winterhaven, and is about on par with the dwarven city of Hammerfast.

I agree that putting Phandalin down in Harkenwold (or using one of the established Harken villages like Albridge or Marl in place of Phandalin) would probably work well. And that way you still have the King's Road leading up to Fallcrest, which is actually a better Neverwinter stand-in than Winterhaven is.

How about this?

nentirvale_in_the_forgottenrealms_by_markustay-db7v8vp_small.jpg

Edit: full version here

Last edited:

Charlaquin

How about this?

I’ve seen this, and it is amazing. It would have some pretty big implications on the adventure, like Phandalin being just off the Witchlight Fens, and the path to Conyberry taking the party straight through Fallcrest. But that might be worthwhile for being able to put the Vale into the Realms.

Uller

Adventurer
I made the whole adventure set between the Fiveleague House and the Harken barony with the Cragmaw Castle being in the Harken Forest and the actual mines in the Dawnforge. Phandalin was set a the feet of the mountains.
Is is pretty much how I did it. The dwarves came across their map in Hammerfast and came to Harkenwold looking to reopen the mine. I just used the small villages in Harkenwold as locations in LM.

This was mainly due to my players were reluctantly retiring 4e characters that had played through Reavers of Harkenwold and we wanted their retired characters to be mid-level NPCs in the new 5e campaign.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Remove ads