D&D General [+] TRAPS! a positive thread

Richards

Legend
I once wrote an adventure designed around a trap-filled dungeon called the Magekiller; it had been built by a wizard named Arrogan as a secure place to store his treasure. There were traps all over the place - that was the whole point of the dungeon - but one I particularly liked involved a straight corridor. The whole Magekiller complex was underground, with eight-foot-tall ceilings. Down a long stretch of straight tunnel (of the standard 5-foot width) there was an area with a 25-foot-diameter circle carved out of the surrounding stone, with the circle's center in the middle of the corridor. So narrow tunnel, wider circular chamber, and then narrow tunnel again on the opposite side. Inside the circular chamber was a metal cylinder, of a diameter a mere few inches smaller than the surrounding circular chamber. This metal cylinder was 7 feet tall, and all along the bottom were triangular gaps, spaced right next to each other, so the whole thing stood upon the tips of these points, like a saw. Finally, there was one normal-sized doorway cut into this cylinder; when the PCs encountered it the doorway was facing north, the direction from which they approached.

Once inside the cylinder, they noticed several things. First of all, there were seven metal bars sticking out from the interior sides of the cylinder, each about two feet long and pointing towards the center; had there not been a doorway cut into the cylinder, there would likely have been an eighth bar there as well. And finally, since they could see through the triangular holes at the bottom of the cylinder, they saw there was nothing but rock walls on all sides - except for directly across the cylinder from the doorway they had entered. So the solution seemed simple: everybody grabbed a bar and pushed the cylinder counterclockwise for half a circuit until the "doorway" in the cylinder lined up with the doorway to the south of the circular chamber.

This was accomplished, quite slowly and noisily (for the metal tips of the cylinder were dragging across the stone floor), but the wizard cast a grease beneath the metal tips of the cylinder and that helped. Still, it took a good half minute or more to get the cylinder repositioned so the PCs could travel down the southern corridor and see if they could find Arrogan's treasure. The corridor led to another circular room, this one containing an old, unworking fountain filled with what looked like brackish, algae-covered water. However, the "water" was actually an arcane ooze, which poured itself out of the fountain and attacked - not only with its acidic body, but also by "stealing" spells directly from the minds of the spellcasters, which not only lessened their spellcasting repertoire but healed the ooze. The PCs were forced to flee, back into the circular chamber with the metal cylinder, where they knew it'd take a good half minute to reposition the "doorway" back to the north (and that was with all six of them struggling at the task)...and in the meantime, the arcane ooze had no trouble at all sliding through the triangular openings along the bottom of the metal cylinder and into the chamber with those tasty morsels.... Eventually, the PCs had to forego any attempts at escape out of the dead end of their own making and concentrate on killing the arcane ooze before it killed them.

This trap didn't kill any of the PCs but it came pretty close, and after they had finally slain the arcane ooze they decided they were done messing about in the Magekiller for the day, opting to camp out where they were and not go wandering around any further to set off any other traps when they were so depleted of spells and healing. They rested up for the night and reattacked the Magekiller the next morning - and eventually did find Arrogan's treasure, although it took them searching throughout the entire Magekiller dungeon, after which time they had to backtrack to find out what they had overlooked, before they found it. But the tales of Arrogan all agreed he had been so full of himself he'd insisted he had never made a mistake in his life, and that proved to be the secret to finding his treasure, as "never made a mistake" equates to "always right" - by simply always choosing the right-hand path through the Magekiller, it eventually led to the wizard's hidden treasure (after discovering a series of levers, the one on the far right opening the way to the secret lower level which nobody had ever discovered before the PCs).

Johnathan

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Paizo haunts have a bad rap. They actually turned traps up a notch for the first time in decades, IMO. One issue, is the source material is spread out amongst various adventure modules and rule books making them a little bit confusing for some GMs to run. Haunts are not disabled or sprung in typical fashion. Each one has a unique story behind why the haunt exists where it exists. Usually, something terrible happened in the place and a certain psychic energy exists. This can manifest as poltergeists that torment anyone who enters the area, or perhaps the haunt turns the room into a supernatural hazard of heat or cold that causes damage while inside. The haunt can be temporarily disabled via use of spells like cure. Each haunt has a reset time when the haunt will reactivate. Could be min, hours, or even days. You can permanently put a haunt to rest be investigating the circumstances that created it and setting the tortured souls at ease.

Many players hate haunts because they dont behave like regular traps. They cant be disabled with a simple roll check. Most of them can be bypassed, but players like solving problems and hate leaving things behind, IME. It can be hard, as presented, to tell a haunt's story. The Carrion Crown AP added the Ouija board element where after temporarily disabling a haunt, you can commune with the dead. Its through this commune you can learn how to put the haunt to rest. It's up to the PCs to decide if they want to or not. It can be time consuming to do so, or not really important and eventually someone else's problem.

Since I love the story element this is how I run a haunt (not a typical presentation in Paizo material). The PCs approach an abandoned farm and need shelter for the night. They see a partially burned down farmhouse. They decide to investigate. Once inside the PCs feel something is terribly wrong, like someone just walked over their grave. At this point, I'll ask that anyone in the house makes a will save. Any one who passes, feels like something tried to touch their mind, but couldnt. Anyone who fails gets a psychic trip and experiences what happened to the souls at the time of the haunts creation.

I tell the player the PCs eyes go blurry for a moment, and then suddenly their surroundings look very different. In this case, they see a fully restored farm house, with children reading a book at the dinner table, and a woman doing cleaning near the stove. The sound of horses and men's voices suddenly emits from outside the house. The PC runs to the door to see its been blocked by a wagon. Men are pitching torches on the house and passing them through the open window. Heavy smoke and flames are rapidly growing, as the family desperately tries to escape. Eventually, they succumb to their environment. The PC returns to their normal state in the burned down farm house. They take 3D6 fire damage, and begin to suffocate as long as they stay inside the house. Other PCs who made their saves, watch in horror as their companion(s) start to burn and choke. The effected PC will recover if they leave the house or suffocate if they do not.

At this point, the haunt has been triggered and is waiting a reset. A tapping on the stone floor can now be heard. Using the Ouija board the players can discern that the family who burned and suffocated here needs peaceful release. They can do so by gathering their bones and removing them from the farm house. They can then bury the family together outside, which gives them peace, and destroys the haunt.

My biggest wish from Paizo for the AP line, is a ghostbusters adventure where the PCs go around putting haunts to rest. I think that would be fabulous.

jgsugden

Legend
My trap rules:

1.) Meaningful - The trap needs to have an intended impact other than "now I have to use a healing spell". This is not 100% true - for example, I may put bear traps around a hunter's cabin - but those are not really traps ... they're features that might happen to do a little damage. They're there primarily to describe who lives in the hut, not to threaten the PCs.

2.) Logical - The trap needs to be something that there were resources to build, and it must be something that serves a goal worth protecting with a trap. It needs to fit into the location where it is encountered and make sense.

3.) Intelligent - It should either be hidden, or effective even when not hidden. Someone capable of building a trap is generally smar tenough to make the trap effective.

These rules tend to point me away from "damage" traps and towards "change condition" traps. Rather than a poison needle that does 4d6 poison damage, I'd rather there be an alarm and a trapdoor with a slide so that tripping the trap splits up the party and xchanges the difficulty of the battle that happens because of the alarm.

Favorite traps:

1.) Illusory Floors - The party is going down a long 10' wide hallway. There is a 30' pit with jagged spikes at the bottom, but the pit is only 10 feet wide. There is a 15 foot long plank resting at the bottom of the pit. However, the far side of the pit isn't actually solid, it is a permanent illusion hiding an 80 foot pit.If the PCs attempt to leap across the pit, the leaping PC will go through the illusion and down into the longer pit, separating that PC from the others. At the base of that pit is a shrieker as an alarm.

2.) Wooden Pivot Hallway - The PCs walk along a wooden floor in a long hallway. There are elaborate sconces with teal torches in them along the walls. The passage in 60 feet long. Above the first half of that passage, and below the second half, is open space. And, that entire wooden passage is on a pivot. Once enough weight goes to the far side of the passage, the entire thing will pivot down, dumping the PCs into the open space beneath the passage. In that space are undead waiting to attack the PCs - a hard encounter that is complicated by the fall.

Reynard

Legend
My trap rules:

1.) Meaningful - The trap needs to have an intended impact other than "now I have to use a healing spell". This is not 100% true - for example, I may put bear traps around a hunter's cabin - but those are not really traps ... they're features that might happen to do a little damage. They're there primarily to describe who lives in the hut, not to threaten the PCs.

2.) Logical - The trap needs to be something that there were resources to build, and it must be something that serves a goal worth protecting with a trap. It needs to fit into the location where it is encountered and make sense.

3.) Intelligent - It should either be hidden, or effective even when not hidden. Someone capable of building a trap is generally smar tenough to make the trap effective.

These rules tend to point me away from "damage" traps and towards "change condition" traps. Rather than a poison needle that does 4d6 poison damage, I'd rather there be an alarm and a trapdoor with a slide so that tripping the trap splits up the party and xchanges the difficulty of the battle that happens because of the alarm.

Favorite traps:

1.) Illusory Floors - The party is going down a long 10' wide hallway. There is a 30' pit with jagged spikes at the bottom, but the pit is only 10 feet wide. There is a 15 foot long plank resting at the bottom of the pit. However, the far side of the pit isn't actually solid, it is a permanent illusion hiding an 80 foot pit.If the PCs attempt to leap across the pit, the leaping PC will go through the illusion and down into the longer pit, separating that PC from the others. At the base of that pit is a shrieker as an alarm.

2.) Wooden Pivot Hallway - The PCs walk along a wooden floor in a long hallway. There are elaborate sconces with teal torches in them along the walls. The passage in 60 feet long. Above the first half of that passage, and below the second half, is open space. And, that entire wooden passage is on a pivot. Once enough weight goes to the far side of the passage, the entire thing will pivot down, dumping the PCs into the open space beneath the passage. In that space are undead waiting to attack the PCs - a hard encounter that is complicated by the fall.
I think the desire to ensure that traps are "logical" is a little misplaced, at least in traditional dungeon crawls. The dungeon is a place that has ostensibly seen many inhabitants over a long period of time. And chances are, a lot of those inhabitants were either so alien or so insane that their motives can't be guessed. Sometimes a "trap" isn't even a trap -- it is some leftover piece of broken arcane machinery that is really, really dangerous for entities not hailing for the Elemental Plane of Sharp and Pointy Object.

Remove ads