• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Traps ate my characters!!

Nightchilde-2

First Post
I'm not sure what's wrong with my group this campaign. I mean, really, they've all been playing D&D for a very long time, so I'm not sure why they're doing some of the stuff they're doing (charging nests full of giant ants and the like).

So, the party is exploring a small keep (with a kaorti cyst beneath it, but that's beside the point).

They do check for traps at the front door, but fail the roll. WHAM, the trap hits the first two characters that open the door.

The rogue proceeds to check every single door for traps, but lets the other characters lead when there's not a door involved.

So, the fighter and one of the rangers are in the lead.

WHAM..they both fall prey to a pit/collapsing floor trap.

WHAM..they both fall prey to an exploding wine cask trap. By now, the fighter has dropped and the ranger is very hurt.

Oh, sure, they'll spend 30 minutes searching through a room full of bat gauno, but they won'd spend 6 seconds looking for traps. :)

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
Nightchilde-2 said:
Oh, sure, they'll spend 30 minutes searching through a room full of bat gauno, but they won'd spend 6 seconds looking for traps. :)

Dude, just hang back and loot their bodies...er... check to make sure they're really dead.

If experience isn't teaching them, what more can you do?

diaglo

Adventurer
well you're lucky. the players i game with expect the rogue to lead. d6 hp rogue in the lead vs. d10 fighter types. you tell me which makes more sense. :rolleyes:

i spend the whole session saying, " i search "

it gets pretty redundant and boring.

Last edited:

Amos_Sten

First Post
diaglo said:
well you're lucky. the players i game with expect the rogue to lead. d6 hp rogue in the lead vs. d10 fighter types. you tell me which makes more sense. :rolleyes:

i spend the whole session saying, " i search "

it gets pretty redundant and boring.

Well if the rogue says the doorways safe then he shouldn't mind going through first. :D

This is from long experiance of rogues claiming to have maxed out trap detecting abilities when in fact they would be hard pressed to find the door in the first place.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Once had a player that use to carry a bowling ball with him attached to a 50 foot rope and roll it down long hallways in fear of traps! Went with the bowling ball because of its weight. :)

Darklone

I knew a player who used other pcs as bowling balls...

Next time send the barbarian ahead. d12 hitpoints and Trap Sense :D

diaglo

Adventurer
10ft pole
iron spikes
continual flame coin
stilts
50' rope

those are the staples to any dungeon crawl laden with traps. ;)

TracerBullet42

First Post
Amos_Sten said:
This is from long experiance of rogues claiming to have maxed out trap detecting abilities when in fact they would be hard pressed to find the door in the first place.

Well, in my group, they expect me to lead. I play a Halfling Rogue. 5th level. Wisdom score of 5. Yes, 5. That's not a typo. We just advanced to fifth level and I've just put my first ranks into spot and listen...

Needless to say, I never saw or heard much. Good qualities for a scout/leader.

And everyone should play a low wisdom character sometime...it's a blast! The stories I could tell....

Magic Slim

First Post
TracerBullet42 said:
Well, in my group, they expect me to lead. I play a Halfling Rogue. 5th level. Wisdom score of 5. Yes, 5. That's not a typo. We just advanced to fifth level and I've just put my first ranks into spot and listen...

Hehe my halfling rogue had a STR of five. "There's no trap on the door, but I can't swing it open".

Why can't the rogue simply say "I take 20 and Search every 5'-square of the keep"? Yeah the characters better have brought playing cards, but it takes 5 seconds in real time, no?

Slim

Remove ads