• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Traveller d20 -- what makes it special?

jeff37923

First Post
mhensley said:
I think it had a fairly small print run. Other than that, it's a very good version of Traveller complete in one book. I just wish I could get my group to give it a try. :\

Should I ever get off this 7 day a week work schedule, I'll be running T20 and you're welcome to join in. Just occassionally check Knoxgamers.org for the announcement.

Ranger REG

Explorer
RPGRealms said:
I am working on a rewrite of the system and posting drafts in our Moot area of the website. It will be the engine that will power Traveller20 through the end of our Traveller license and other settings beyond. It's a d20 based engine similar to T20, but stripped down and rebuilt.
Well, I'm a firm believer of tweaking the rules to fit the setting (or genre), not the other way around.

I'm still hoping for more prints than just PDF.

Ranger REG

Explorer
balterkn said:
While I liked the OGL/d20 version, there is something about heroic fantasy that didn't translate as well fro me...
Yeah, common people can't really see beyond the D&D stigma attached to d20. That's why I'm in favor of tweaking the rules mechanics to fit whatever desired setting you want, from heroic to grim-n-gritty.

Last edited:

Pagan priest

First Post
RPGRealms said:
If you know how to generate d20 characters, you don't need a core book.

If you want a core book we have the Traveller's Guidebook for Players available as a PDF and a print version through LuLu. That book includes all of the character generation rules, a bunch of new classes, skills, feats, and equipment as well.
Are any of the other paper products still available? Or have I once again proved that old adage "you snoze, you lose"?

rgard

Adventurer
Traveller is probably best developed sci-fi rpg setting ever made. I occasionally GM my kids in T20 and I'm always going back to previous editions of the game to find more to add. I'm not quite a Traveller fanatic who collects every edition, but I do have alot of the stuff. There is a serious amount of fluff for the game: official, previous edition and fan produced.

If you know D20, T20 is easy to learn. It's not as hard as switching gears from D&D to Gurps.

I remember trying to mesh the Traveller universe with D&D in the early 80s and that was messy. With T20, you can have loads of cross-genre fun will relative ease.

I just (yesterday) ordered the Traveller's Guidebook for Players from Lulu.

Just to be open here, my 2 oldest and I playtested the first printing version of the game; 'Magnus Robot Fighter' in the credits.

We have T20 in production until August 2010 and I'll be supporting with my wallet.

Thanks,
Rich

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Traveller- in any form- is simply the D&D of SFRPGs: its the SFRPG.

I've bought several versions of it myself, and others SFRPGs as well. Most have Asome aspect that was better than Traveller in some aspect, but not a one was as complete.

The closest challenger I remember was a short lived one called Universe from SPI. ( http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Universe_RPG/ ) Its star & planetary system design rules and its realistic Delta V space combat were pretty special...but AFAIK, had no supplements and was released shortly before SPI went under. All there was was a single box with the rules and a pair of D20s.

(BTW, SPI's Universe has nothing in common with Tower Raven's Univers TSFRPG http://www.towerravens.com/)

Remove ads