• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trollhaunt Warrens - Item Question [minor spoiler]

Thanee

First Post
There is an item found in the adventure King of the Trollhaunt Warrens, which we could not find in the books...

[SBLOCK=Item]It's a Symbol of Despair +3[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Found in]It's found in the room where the Troll smith is with the Grimlocks and that big fire lizard.[/SBLOCK]

Any idea what that might be?

Bye
Thanee

kerbarian

Explorer
There are no rules for it. Apparently an NPC in Dungeon 163 (in House of Pain) also carries one, but there are no rules for it there, either. IMC, I decided that a suitable substitution would be:
[sblock]+3 Symbol of Reproach (AV). It's as close as I could find to the opposite of a Symbol of Hope.[/sblock]

Jhaelen

First Post
There are no rules for it. Apparently an NPC in Dungeon 163 (in House of Pain) also carries one, but there are no rules for it there, either. IMC, I decided that a suitable substitution would be:
[sblock]+3 Symbol of Reproach (AV). It's as close as I could find to the opposite of a Symbol of Hope.[/sblock]
That's similar to what I did:
[sblock]I used the +3 Symbol of Hope as a basis and reversed the effect, i.e. the daily power applies a -5 penalty to an enemy's next saving throw.[/sblock]

Beckett

Explorer
I don't recall how I handled it. Was there a holy symbol introduced in Book 1? If not, I might have inserted one of the neck items from there.

Thanee

First Post
We just rolled one randomly from the +3 holy symbols available in PHB and AV and ended up with a Holy Symbol of Divinity +3. :)

Bye
Thanee

OchreJelly

First Post
I'm glad I wasn't the only one puzzled by this. I looked all over compendium, phb, AV, and the adventure itself. I think I replaced it with a shield.

CapnZapp

Legend
There are no rules for it. Apparently an NPC in Dungeon 163 (in House of Pain) also carries one, but there are no rules for it there, either.
I actually think it's kind of cool to have one or two items that are completely open to DMs to define themselves! :)

But seriously, it can't be that this power has been detailed on some obscure promo card or in the RPGA or somewhere where it got lost before DDI data input day? And there isn't any other effect with "despair" in the name, or that there is a misspelling?

Edit: Searching for "despair" in the Compendium yields one race, one class, six items, 33 creatures, two EDs, six PPs, two powers and two traps. Could it be buried in there somewhere...? :)

OchreJelly

First Post
My inclination is that it's either a typo or that maybe it got edited out of the adventure but the reference wasn't removed. Haven't we seen similar issues with H1?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads